1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking about gas grills

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, May 26, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Had one for 10 years. Was ok. Definitely built like a tank. I replaced the burner 3 times in 10 years. Not so much for decay, rather the jets got clogged (used it heavily year round) and created really inconsistent cooking. That was 20 years ago that I bought it new, so, maybe better since then.
    I just like the idea of the Weber having the flavor bars or whatever they're called that protect the jets on the burners from getting hogged up.

5. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

My Coleman 4000 finally bit the dust after about 15 years of use. Good grill. Webber still the leading contender for a box store purchase? Big Green Egg for a charcoal grill?
    Any others?

Seems BGE doesn't let their prices get out too easy and doesn't sell online at all.
    Though I did find this - http://bbq.about.com/od/kamadogrills/fl/Big-Green-Egg-Prices.htm which has some prices.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

As an owner of a Weber Genesis Silver for 10 years, I can see it going another 10. Paint is pealing a bit on the doors to the cabinet area. Otherwise it is in great shape and still does an excellent job of grilling anything I put on it. I use it plenty too, probably 3-4 times a week. It survived 7 Wisconsin winters before coming to Virginia. It wasn't used much in the winters in Wisconsin, as pushing through 3' of snow to get to the grill wasn't my idea of fun.

7. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Big Green Egg /story

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BGE has the marketing but there are a number of others out there that work as well and are cheaper. Some of them have been around longer than BGE too. Either way they're too much work, I like propane for the smoker and grill :D

9. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there has been a slip in quality with BGE. I have a diehard Egghead friend who has actually switched to a Kamado because it is a better put together unit. His only caveat is that it doesn't hold temp as accurately as the old Eggs he had. I know I have had two hinge bands fail on me due to heat. Shouldn't have happened as I never topped 700 degrees with them.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, you're technically my diehard egghead friend :crackup:

11. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

2 years later and still haven't used the Weber outside of holding the BGE accessories. Weber will be going to the dump in the next couple months, and after the way it held up I will never buy another one of Weber's products. I spent $2000 on the Weber I am extremely disappointed in the quality.

12. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

It's seriously not that much work. A gas grill is a glorified stove... never understood owning both.

Also, I'm not aware of the other brands that are better but cheaper. Komodo's are good, but still about the same $$$. Anything else out there? I want another one for the track.

13. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

14. tito

tito Well-Known Member

wow a blast from the past.... I ended up getting a traditional gas grill form charbroil from lowes. I love it and don't regret it a bit. as for the bge, look at the
    Char-Griller 16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker, Black

by Char-Griller

it is a knock off of the bge but IMO just as nice and way cheaper. A friend of mine has one and I will be getting one wen we move into another house.
    one more thing spend some money on a cover. go to amazon and search for this
    Classic Accessories 55-140-035101-EC Ravenna Grill Cover, Medium, Taupe
    it is awesome. two years now and my grill looks like it did when I bought it.

ps sorry for the font issues firefox is being stupid and not show me the options to change it....

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

WalMart , all I can afford

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My Jenn-Air unit we bought when we bought the house 11 years ago is still cooking away. I put new burners in it last year but that's it. We are grillers. High heat, fast cooking. If we do something slow it is usually on the spit and rotating in front of the ceramic burner with the outside 2 burners on low.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a Jenn-Air grill too, worked great but I think the regulator is shot. That got me to cook steaks and chops indoors in cast iron....which made for much better meats. That was a couple years ago, haven't fixed it yet...

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The only thing that's ever been on the side burner has been the cast iron skillet. I do the occasional steak that was as well. Keeps all the splatter outside. A little olive oil , some salt and pepper and finished with a little butter. Tasty animal stuff.

The regulator on mine can't fail. It no longer has one. I converted it to natural gas when we got it.

R Acree likes this.
  19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I got one of these a month or so ago, mine has the big cart that it mounts in. We did 5 racks of ribs for my sons bday and it held perfectly for 7 hours straight. Its great!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...arcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

All right own up who has BGE stickers on their vehicle?
    (this thread reminds me of the Yeti thread. lol)

Ride safe,
    AAron

Shenanigans likes this.