1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking about gas grills

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, May 26, 2014.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

The only grill you should ever need

[​IMG]

2. crepitus

crepitus I gots nuthin

Char Griller 3000 with side mounted firebox. Gas for quick stuff. Firebox for smoking stuff.

Heavier gauge metal than most flimsy grills.

Attached Files:

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

No bbq grill expert, but I can tell you our first grill was a cheapo from HD, iirc, purchased it the same time we bought our home in '95. Three to four yrs later, we replaced it with a Weber that we still use today, it's not only held up nicely on the outside but all the burners work well too, only replacement item so far were the flavorizer bars, which cost me about $50 at HD last summer.

4. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

5. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

weber all the way, grew up with on in the parents back yard for a far back as i can remember, with little to no maintenance needed. burners never went bad. it needed new flavorizer bars and cooking grates periodically, like 5+years in between and the occasional spark ignitor replaced but that it.

even at probably 20+ years old parts like the grates and bars are still easy to get for them

as an added bonus they are actually made here in the US, the company I work for casts the genesis cook boxes(bottom half of the grill)

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Rec Tec wood pellet.

7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Three words:

BIG GREEN EGG

Conversation over.

I have used my gas grill less than 5 times in the last 15 months since buying an Egg. Egg use is easily 3-4 times a week. I'm still on the same 25 pound bag of charcoal since February.

8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Weber Genesis...although I got a steal on a Summit. BTW the Spirit series is made in China. My guess is the Q also.

9. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

What do you use for burgers?

I am about 92% sold on the Rec-Tec to replace my upright cabinet smoker, but I am leaving my gas grille (burgers, etc) behind (it's natural-gas, the new place doesn't have outdoor gas, or even gas at all...).

10. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

^^^This

Picked up a BGE last fall and haven't used my gas grill since.

My gas grill is a Weber Summit Gold which had the burners replaced after 2 years, and at year 5 the cabinet started to fall apart. I'm not sure if something changed with Weber's production, but I'm hoping the BGE lasts a bit longer than my Weber did.

11. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

you get what you pay for, any of the sub 300 dollar grills are 5 years or less life span. I am replacing a 3 yr old brinkman this year with a weber. Get something with stainless steel burners. One of the only ones i know selling them is the weber.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So you still fire that bad boy up if you're just cooking 1-2 burgers?

As much as I love using my knock off, for small meals we just fire up the gasser.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't have one, a friend does. Don't know what he does for burgers. When it is just burgers for one or two, I have a table top gas grill that uses the 2 lb cylinders.

14. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike Well-Known Member

Yet another vote for Weber -- I got a Genesis at Lowes when they closed out the last gen for $500 including 5% off for using the Lowes card.

15. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Absolutely....fire it up, up to temp in about one beers time. Throw the burgers on, cook one side, flip and shut off the air to extinguish the coals. Cooked in about 15 minutes or 3-4 beers.

A little longer vs. gas, yes, but not by much. Taste/flavor is leaps and bounds better.

16. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Got it. Thinking of an inexpensive Char-Broil for burgers/dogs/steaks/chix, and the pellet grill for real meals.

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My first 3 burner weber genesis had a gas leak behind one of the knobs.

During a pool party the right burner knob blew off with a fireball behind it.

Took it back to home depot and put the replacement together myself after finding out they fired their assembly guy.

Awesome grill with exceptionally even heat. The real cool part about the grill is when you clean it for the first time.

18. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

These are awesome too. I considered a BGE but I can put a brisket on, go to bed, and when I wake up the brisket is almost ready. My neighbors all think I'm some kind of rockstar BBQ god...I haven't told them how easy it is.

Just about the only thing I use the Weber for now is steaks. If it's a good enough cut of meat I'd rather taste the meat and a little salt and pepper, they don't need anything else.

19. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

Take a look at Broilmaster Grills. I researched like crazy when I was actually buying my first gas grill instead of hand me downs.

http://www.broilmaster.com

I bought the Premium P3 Cart in stainless about 14 Years ago. Use it weekly year round and the thing is OUTSTANDING. Significantly thicker walled grill case than any brands you'd find at box stores. Great bow tie burner. Very well built. When I purchased mine, they came with coated cast iron grates, now they're stainless. Has ceramic briquettes

Just search for a local Broilmaster dealer near you and check them out. Nice that they're still made in the USA. They make Weber look like a cheap knock off grill. LOL.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Tito, this is Michael, what up bro! I just saw an ad at Home Depot last night that they had a gasser that was regularly $399 on sale for $199. Might want to check into it.