1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking about gas grills

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, May 26, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's cheating :D

No side burner on ours, has a searing setup that will most likely never get used.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I read nothing in the rule book that prohibits it. :D

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That does make me wonder how close a gas line is to the deck....

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Words I have never uttered....

Dinner will be late I have to run and get that tank refilled. :D

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

1 grill is not enough.

For smoker/grill, put down the BGE pipe and go for a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker. You can do everything from perfect result long cook smoking to wood fired pizza to wood grilled steaks. All at 1/4th the pain of a BGE which means great smoked meats on a regular basis.

Add a Weber Genesis for sear grilling.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I keep a second filled bottle around. If one goes empty while grilling, just swap in the new one. The following weekend or whenever I get a chance, get the old one refilled / swapped and have it ready to go. It would be nice to have a gas feed so I don't have to mess with it. On the other hand I do move my grill around a bit on the deck to get better light in the winter time and more usable deck space in the summer. I suppose I could buy one of those clamp on light things, but then I would have to buy batteries.

7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I bought a natural gas Jenn-Air and ran a gas line out of my house to it. It is pretty nice to never have to worry about tanks of propane running out. Also it has the sear burner on the side which is CRUCIAL for steaks and other quick cooking items.

My next buy is a smoker of some sort. My dad is trying to get me to go for one of these.........

http://www.traegergrills.com/

I also saw these the other day. Not sure how effective they are but they look cool as f@ck........

http://arteflame.com/

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

I've got at least one full, one partial and three or four empties at the house and a full one in the rv (along with the rv's tank). Running out has never happened.

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Damn. Thats nice but more than I would want to spend...

I have one of the Kamado's. They are a bit more work than the pellet grill/smokers but there is less stuff to go wrong with them and they tuck in to the corner of the patio a bit better too. I have not lit the gas grill for quite a while now as I like the results from the Kamado alot better.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Heard good things about traegers. I've got a cheap propane box smoker from Home Depot, my second one, makes amazing food as long as I do my end of things properly.

11. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I just bought a Camp Chef 3 burner and the BBQ Box. That thing kicks ass. Nothing like grilling on cast iron without the flare ups with a conventional grill. Highly recommended.

12. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

The best grill I've had was a Jenn-Air that I think was built by Vermont Castings, I've got a Webber Genesis now and it's good but the heat isn't as even as the Jenn-Air was.

13. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

I have a Big Steel Keg (now the Broil King Keg), about $700 for the Large BGE equivalent (I think) and it's been great. Never used a BGE to compare directly but I can't imagine it being that much better. Keg is dual steel walls with insulation between and it's very portable, they sell a truck mount for it and I would have no problem transporting it like that.

The wood pellet stuff is awesome. A buddy has been consulting for Traeger on new products so I've gotten to borrow one for extended periods of time, makes cooking brisket, pulled pork, etc so damn easy. The new Traeger stuff is gonna be pretty badass, but the Green Mountain looks good if you can't/don't want to swing the money for Traeger.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  14. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Good to know.

What the draw to the Traegers? I hate old school steel smokers... they eat charcoal, don't hold temp as well, and generally experience greater temp swings. What am I missing?

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have 3 bottles in rotation and have still ran out. next(end of summer) grill with be NG. I hate buying propane. Plus, propane in temps below 20 degrees, sucks.

16. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Wood pellets & electronic controls to maintain heat make for stupid easy cooks. Some brands have better controllers than others but it makes for a truly hands-off, set it & forget it smoking experience.

17. Size9

Size9 Well-Known Member

Best grill/smoker on the planet.

bleacht and dickie doo like this.
  18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

It also makes sourcing various types of wood very easy/convenient, but the pellets are pretty dear.

I use a Bradley smoker that uses an autofeed wood biscuit system. I choose it for two reasons: I wanted to truly cold (<100F) smoke, and I wanted to be able to both rack and hang foods. Works from 60F (or ambient) up to about 260F. So far so good.

19. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

If hes consulting for Traeger tell him the same quality reviews maybe slightly better for GMG, Wifi, and the DB being the perfect size sold me on GMG.

20. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

And Wifi monitoring/control :)