1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking about gas grills

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, May 26, 2014.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I got a Weber about 20 years ago as an award from work. Other than replace the flavor bars it has been trouble free, even the auto light still works (if it's not wet). Now, however, the ceramic grate is about worn out due to cleaning so many times. (I always wash my grates, can't stand those that just fire it up all dirty/greasy and expect the fire to do the job). It's time to replace it and I think I'll just stick with Weber...20 years is pretty good service.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I steam clean my grates while the grill is getting hot.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I haven't done jackshit to mine in the year or two I've owned it. :D Change the catch pan, replaced the tank and shoveled the snow off it a couple of times I wanted to use it this last winter. Works great, just wire brush the grates, oil them now and again and let the heat do it's magic.

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Try Rockwood or The Good One from here. http://www.firecraft.com/category/hardwood-charcoal
    Free shipping too. I have found the quality lumps lasts much longer than BGE or Royal Oak and about a third the ash.

5. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Since no one's mentioned this brand, I love my Holland Liberty. Made in NC, simple to use and no flare-up design. I've cooked delicious NY strips, baby back ribs, a prime rib. All were perfect. These are built to last too.

6. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll have to give them a try :beer:

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

anyone on here got a napoleon grill?

i am shopping around right now, looking into full stainless (except the grates maybe) ...

doesn't need to be huge (6 steaks at a time or 12 burgers) but should be solid and all stainless...

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a JennAir - made by someone else of course - and really like it although the regulator needs replacing. Now if I could just remember where I stashed the new one :D

9. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

JennAir is made by Nexgrill.

I have a nice 5 burner JennAir which is over 10 years old and still going strong. Best part about JennAir/NexGrill is the lifetime warrantee. Every few years I call them up and get replacement burners and the metal plates that go over the burners. This year I'll be ordering some replacement grates as mine are getting close to the end of their lifespan.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't use mine enough to have come close to wearing anything out but that's good to know. My only wish is I'd gotten one with a side burner rather than the searing grill.

Glad the thread came up though, need to find that damned regulator :D

11. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with having replacement parts once the originals wear out.

I've gone thru 3 or 4 sets of the cast iron (clearly not cast iron) burners because they always rust out.

FWIW, the regulator was the only part they would not replace under warrantee.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I read up on that once I figured out the issue. Did reset it once and it worked for a few minutes then back to no flow.

13. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

have had the Napoleon LEX 485 for over a month now.

assembly took a bit but you could feel the quality.
    i ordered it with the infrared rear and the side burners (sizzle zone), plus the rotisserie kit.

so far i have grilled:

- burgers (with cheddar and bacon pieces inside)
    - sirloins (garlic / soy sauce rub)
    - ny strip (garlic / soy sauce rub)
    - ribeyes (thick salt rub)
    -a whole chicken (brined for 24 h and then dry-rubbed)
    - chicken legs (dry rub)
    - salmon on planks

grates and flavor bars are all stainless, as almost everything, except the grates on the sizzle zone, which are cast iron.

stuff comes out fantastic. the infrared burner gives the initial high heat (3 min each side) and nice burn marks, then the red meat goes on the grill for either more cooking or just resting.

with the whole chicken i made the mistake of using the rear burner all the time, should just have been the first 15 min, to get it crispy.

so far, very happy with the purchase.

15. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Those who own Weber Genesis for a while, how soon before you replaced the innards?

Maybe I haven't cleaned it right or something else, but the flavorizer bars, grates (mine are the cast iron) and bottom are looking pretty rough. I keep it covered, but it is on the deck outback. The outside and everything are looking great. I don't want to waste money replacing stuff it there's normal maintenance I should be doing instead.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Until they rust though just keep using them. Cast iron rust, not a big deal.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  17. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I had one of the cheap upright electric smokers that ended up dying and bought a Traeger from Costco, used it for about 6 months, took it back and bought another cheap upright. It just didn't deliver near the smokey flavor my upright does, props to Costco's return policy.

18. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I'm 4 years in and haven't replaced anything except the replaceable/disposable drip tray.
    I use it year round and don't cover it (it's under a roof, but, no sides, so, it really isn't that protected.
    Grates are stainless.
    A few times per year, I crank the heat up to 11 and let it run for a while and burn everything off. Usually creates a nice grease fire that scares everyone in attendance. Now that I think about it, I know why I had to replace the cheap drip tray!

19. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I do occasionally let it burn stuff off, but I've done basically no maintenance to any of it in the 5 years I've had it. I brush the grate real hard when its hot to clean it, and I use olive oil soaked rag to prep for cooking, but that's it. The grate is starting to rust apart in places and the flavorizer bar things are looking like they've seen better days, but it still seems to work just fine.

20. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

So I'm looking to replace my 20 year old Broilmaster P4.

What say the beeb for something under $400.