1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking about gas grills

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, May 26, 2014.

1. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

What do you use now?

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Yeah...I was contemplating getting something bigger, but we really don't eat red meat in this house, except when my FIL comes over and eats a well well done steak. So that's easy enough to cook [emoji16]and we don't really host more than a dozen people, so I just said the 3 burner should do.

Also the Spirit II is out, but it looks more like a portable grille and no cabinet for the same price as my one. So That's a no go.

~sent from mobile

tony 340 likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And to think I sort of liked you.

BigBird likes this.
  4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ban! His! Azzzzzz! :confused:

BigBird and tony 340 like this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Get the cast iron flat top for half the grill and you will be happy with it. Mine is great for veggies and fish filets etc......I think we use it more than the normal side some weeks.

BigBird likes this.
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

upload_2021-4-27_21-18-4.jpeg
    @BigBird
    ‘‘Twas all you needed. :Poke:

BigBird likes this.
  7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I've been eyeballing a RecTec matador bad these last couple months.

8. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

The best gas grill I have owned was a Holland Grill. The plus, no flare ups since it's indirect. Makes lazy cooking easy just not fast.
    Bought a Weber, over a grand. Piece of shit, 3 years in I had multiple parts that needed to be replaced. They all fell in the 1 year warranty clause.
    Will give a plus they sent replacement parts.
    The Holland, 9 years after purchase the lower section was rusting out. $60 and they sent a rebuild kit, they grill ran another 8 years.
    I picked up a clone Green egg from Costco, amazing ability to maintain temp. It's my new smoker and when I have time grill a steak.
    Most times still use the Weber, for a 15 minute meal. Can we taste the difference yes.
    The Traeger is a pellet indirect, I used to add wood chips to the Holland and same results.
    No magic pill, the quick gas grills have longevity issues. Burners and grills, pay now or later.
    I'll keep both, use the Egg more and the Gas grill when time is short.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I have a Bradley smoker and a horizontal barrel offset that I can either use as a charcoal grill or an indirect smoker. I am considering a propane grill as well, and have been eyeing a Genesis 335/435, but I've been dithering on that for 6 months. I have cooked on pellet grills three times, and I was consistently not impressed, thus inclined to falsify -- in a Karl Popper fashion of sorts -- the unconditional statement made. That said, I know a lot of people that like them a lot, and as with lots of things related to diversity, that's a good thing. Viva le différence.

BigBird, bleacht and _indy like this.
  10. Venom51

Fargin hell...this is why you can't have nice things. Nothing is built worth of shit anymore. After 18 years of cooking the Jenn-Air has cooked its last meal.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

18 years ?? Dig out that warranty man.

12. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Lifetime warranty. Just call up Nexgrill and order up the parts you need.

My Jenn-Air lasted 17 years outside with out a cover but was recently replaced by a Weber Summit 4 burner which is amazing!

13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

We moved to a new house and the previous owner left a TEC Patio 44 in the outdoor kitchen. Still figuring out the infrared thing but impressed so far as a searing machine and the heat is ridiculously even. Stainless griddle for one half should show today.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

any opinions about gorilla grills? Their stuff looks to be top notch, I know one guy who has the chimp model smoker that he raves about as a portable type.

15. Venom51

$831 dollars in parts and she'll be good as new.