1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biden "AR15 hard to aim, hard to use"

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by jimraynor21, Feb 20, 2013.

1. PVR46

PVR46 Well-Known Member

Biden, once again, talking out of his sorry ass. Does this idiot know ANYTHING about ANYthing? Astounding that his pea brain generates enough energy to allow him to exhale.

As for defending the castle, a caliber large enough to incapacitate yet small enough to make reliable multiple hits with, is all that matters. 9mm at least....

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final".

DH

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Which is really the root of the problem. People are scared of what they don't know or understand. Most anti-gunners have never been around guns, know virtually nothing about them, are scared to death of them, and think everyone else should be too.

3. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I understand your point, but I feel a shotgun blast in the air in a rural setting is pretty much a non-issue. By the time the pellets come back down they don't have much energy and the chances anyone will be standing in that small zome is slim to none.....and the distance they travel w/ any tiype of lethal engery is very short.
    If we are talking rifle/pistol, then I completely agree w/ you

4. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

12 gauge 00buck shoot ~9 pellets slightly smaller than a 9mm bullet at close to the same speed.

5. SpeedyE

Does the velocity of each pellet taper off dramatically compared to a 9mm?

6. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I would imagine it slows down faster but never seen any study on it.

7. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

It must, since the pellet is far less aerodynamic than a balanced/rotating 9mm bullet. Don't know by how much though.

8. SpeedyE

I am guessing it does, but I do not know it as fact. If it does bleed-off energy very quickly, I'll go back to my point that firing a shotgun in the air in a rural environment is not near the danger of a rifle/pistol.
    Someone here will find the velocity (9mm pistol vs buckshot) comparison, I am sure.

9. SpeedyE

And again, I am referring to a rural setting.

10. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Fwiw and aside from the stupidity and legality issues, I've read(I didn't see it) that there's a Mythbusters episode where they tested the terminal velocity of different bullets and it was only enough to cause a bruise if it hit you.

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

All the theory in the world is great but if you do not know where the projectile is going to end up you have no business pulling the trigger...

12. SpeedyE

It's going in the AIR....where da fuck do ya think it's going?!?!?!? :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

:D

13. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

Dude. Seriously. There could be a spaceship.

I feel what you're saying, I would personally never operate under that principal unless I had a LOT of land. I wouldn't fire warning shots either though. :up:

14. SpeedyE

:D:beer::D

I was being sarcastic w/ the "air" comment....thought it would be stupidly funny :)

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And don't anybody be suggesting reading their owner's manual. That's on par with asking directions from someone on the street. Strictly against man code.

16. charles

charles The Transporter

Every year, on New Year's and on Fourth of July, there are people seriously wounded or kilt by bullets falling from the sky...from nitwits shooting guns up in the air, like Saddam used to do before he jumped to his death....years ago, up in the suburbs of Philadelphia, someone looking at a car in a used car lot was kilt deader than dogshit by a shot coming from an overzealous sky-shooter at a gunrange about 1/2 mile away.

17. SpeedyE

Did the balistics match Bidden's shotgun? Hmmmmm......

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

According to the ballistics information available, basically the only shotgun projectiles that are really effective for home defense would be 0, 00, or 000 shot. All three will penetrate far enough into the human body to reach vital organs. Smaller shot will not do so if more than a couple or so feet away.

Also, since shotgun shot is not rifled when it leaves the barrel it will slow pretty quickly. For most home robbery events a shotgun might be ok. It's those invasion of multiple persons where a shotgun might fall short of the necessary effect since you would only have two or maybe three shots available.

Many years ago I was doing some "experiments" with a single shot 20 gage shotgun. I had some steel ball bearings out of the front steering system of a tractor and would dump the shot out of a shell and replace it with one bearing. The bearings were just a bit smaller than 1/2 inch. At one hundred yards the ball would penetrate about one inch into a cedar fence post. That's not much. If I was within 10 feet it would go through the post. The post was about 7 inches in diameter.

19. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

How often have we discussed this?:)

Every year several people die from falling bullets fired during the new year's celebration. It all depends on the angle of the weapon when it's fired. If it's fired pointing straight up, and the bullet almost comes to a complete stop before starting back down, then it all depends on a formula of 32 feet per second squared and taking into consideration the air drag on the bullet.

In order to see whether the bullet could exceed the sound barrier, lets look at the energy gained and lost per distance fallen. The bullet will gain energy +E=d*g*m, and lose energy -E=d*Cd*p*v^2*A/2.

d=distance fallen
    g=9.8m/s^2
    m=mass of bullet
    Cd=drag coefficient
    p=density of air
    v=velocity while falling
    A=frontal area (from which Cd is generated)

Setting -E=+E, and solving for v, we find that v=((2*g*m)/(Cd*A*p))^1/2.
    Cd at transonic speeds is about 0.45 for a bullet with an A of 5.8x10^-5 m^2 (a 7.62mm rifle bullet, AK-47). p at sea level is about 1.275 kg/m^3. m for a 7.62 mm bullet is about 0.01 kg. The terminal velocity calculated by this equation is about 76 m/s, well below transonic speed. Using the subsonic drag coefficient of 0.3, we get a terminal velocity of 94 m/s. So the bullet would come down at nowhere close to transonic speed. Nevertheless, a bullet hitting you at 94 m/s has a kinetic energy of 88 Joules, spread over a small area. It won't hurt as much as a regular bullet shot, but it will still hurt you. I'd wear a helmet if I were firing bullets in the air - people die all the time from "celebratory firing".

If a bullet is fired at say, 45 degree angle then the bullet will fly on a parabolic path and will be traveling at a lethal speed when it hits the ground. I would bet that that is the case most of the time.

20. SpeedyE

WTF!?!?!
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Huh?