1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biden "AR15 hard to aim, hard to use"

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by jimraynor21, Feb 20, 2013.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

EVIL...:beer:

2. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Not buckshot?

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:D

4. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Now we're talkin! I still like a carbine for most circumstances though.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

A series of well placed claymores would be best but a shotgun will work.

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Man, I hated playing with these; even the practice ones. :D

I never set, aimed, the wrong way but saw enough pointing in the wrong direction to question the team that I was in.

7. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Birdshot doesn't have enough penetration much farther then point blank. Some use #4 buck as a good compromise between size, spread, penetration, etc. as compared to the std #00 loads.

8. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

:cool: Fixed.
    Shotguns work well enough, but there are better options that address the shortcomings of the typical shotgun platform without any additional drawbacks.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Or my favorite. The Taser Claymore.

[​IMG]

10. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Typical shotgun platform???

Righttt. Adjust the facts to meet your outlook. Are you under the impression you are going to have a long firefight in a house? It's going to be short, it's going to be dark, and the perp will either run, die or kill your ass in a matter of a few moments.

I'll take the shotgun every time.

I hope for everyone's sake, you're not in a position to teach firearm home defence because you're a fucking moron if you really believe the bullshit you type.

11. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Dude, it's a gunfight in your house. It's point-blank. The beauty of birdshot is that it leaves a fist-sized hole from six feet away, but doesn't penetrate the drywall and remove your sleeping daughter's head.

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

a lot of women don't like the recoil of a 12 gauge. The recoil on an AR-15 is very manageable. My wife would not use a shotgun.

I don't consider AR's ideal home defense weapons, but they have their good attributes. I thoroughly enjoy shooting my friend's AR.

My home defense weapon is a 10/22 with a 25 round magazine, which I presume would be considered an "assault" rifle by legislative standards.

But for me, I have my reasons for preferring a smaller caliber and larger magazine:

1) with a .22, I probably NEED to land multiple rounds...
    2) I have dogs. they're faster than me. I don't want to risk hitting my dogs with bird shot that is intended for the intruder. I know where .22 rounds are going.
    3) I like that .22 rounds are less likely to do damage after passing through my wall and hitting my neighbors' houses.
    4) no recoil means I can keep a tight grouping even when firing rapidly, or dare I say in a mild panic.
    5) Frankly, if an intruder has a hand gun, I want him to need to reload before me, even if he is using a larger caliber round.
    6) the .22 is cheap to practice shooting, and being a good shot with a smaller round is better than being a crappy shot with something else.

Absent the dogs, I would probably have a 12 gauge pump under the bed. The wife would still go for the .22 though.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

AR Pistol. If I miss a shot the flash is enough to vault any intruder off the balcony.

14. charles

charles The Transporter

To each his own...but strongly urge you to consider parking the .22 and getting a .38 revolver in its place. S&W, Colt, or Ruger will do nicely.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I was recently discussing handguns with some riding buddies and I was surprised at the number that choose .22 magnum for CCW and general protection (including as sole home weapon).

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I normally stay far away from the whole "knock down" bs but yeah, I think a .22 is a bit small.

17. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

:crackup:
    Instead of name calling, why don't you try to refute anything I've said. That's how discussions work. :Poke: And if you come back with anything resembling "you don't have to aim", then you're going to owe me a new keyboard.

I said typical platform, because that's what most people think of. A Saiga 12 for example addresses many of my concerns with using a shotgun as a HD platform. But most people don't have Saigas. Most people don't even have a semi-auto shotgun (which only addresses one of the concerns). And using a 20 gauge? Might as well just use a .38spl j-frame.

As far as your firefight comment - I hope to never need more than 6-8 rounds to defend my home (actually I hope zero is the case), but that's a very very small number when considering multiple assailants. Very small.

You (obviously) might be surprised to know that many home defense professionals do teach students (especially women) to use something other than a shotgun for home defense.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I thought, or have been recently re-educated on the magnum effect. Or the true effectiveness of the .22 magnum.

The internet is full of documentation and I have tried to get some education but ballistics information and testing is, or appears to be conflicting at times, or not always realistic, or with consistency.

I do like the idea of a P30, the lightness and carrying capacity but sketchy about reliability. Again, based on what has been written.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, my 22 pistol is lighter and more accurate at a longer distance than the 9 but the 9 actually holds more rounds and is as easy to shoot accurately at inside the house distances.

Put that with a larger chunk of metal and I'll stick with the Beretta :D

20. charles

charles The Transporter

Look, you have a good deal of 'effectiveness' as long as you get good shot placement with your .22 (magnum or not). Can you count on that under a variety of circumstances that you may encounter?