1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Generations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Oct 30, 2016.

1. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

I got my race-prepped 2nd gen for $1400 and it's handling is amazing. Definitely inspired confidence in my riding, and got me to ride much faster and brake later than I ever did on my stock zx10r. I passed a few new-gen r6's at Gingerman on the straight but only God knows whether they were full throttle or not. I'm also not using stock gearing so can't really compare I guess. Anyways...I like the bike...would recommend if you get a good deal.

RedReplicant and MELK-MAN like this.
  2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yeah, if something like that popped up I'd snag it and forget my 'streetable' requirement real quick. :D

Decided to look at Copart for fun, boy does that seem like a gaggle of gotchas waiting at every turn to deal with. Found a candidate 07 R6S in West Virginia... And a crap ton of R6Ls? They look like R6 machine to me, what the heck is an R6L?

3. yzfr6i

yzfr6i Member

The R6L was the name given to the first gen R6. It indicates a non-California U.S. model. That's the title that was on the front of the owners manual for my '99.

4. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

2nd generation R6 is still very competitive. Multiple podiums and championships on my R6S this year.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Ok, new question: Who's got one for sale cheap near Maine? :D

6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

What kind of power does a 2nd gen put out with a typical ss build? Cam timing, power commander, thin head gasket etc.

How far down is it on the 08?

7. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, that reminds me of one of the other downsides of the 2nd gen. Finding baseline geometry numbers, the little tricks like using a stock headgasket with the center layer removed, etc take a shitload more digging and GoogleFu.

Focker likes this.
  8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Fortunately I've got Computrack in my back yard, so getting the geo sorted if I decide to push, no problem.

Motor build details, again, I'm not looking to race competitively, I just wanna readjust my brain.

9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

2nd gens are just soooooo good. I had a 2003, sold it (like an idiot), so I went out and found a "barn-find" 2008 R6S with 1,300 miles on it back in 2013.

Correct springs and 20mm valves up front, Ohlins shock out back, and some minor adjustments to the geometry, and this thing talks to you like it's known you your whole life........not sure I'll ever be able to get rid of this bike.

[​IMG]

10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I saw the 2005 got 40mm throttle bodies compared to the 38mm in 03-04 and the R6s. Think it makes that big of a difference?

11. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Nope, not so much. It is like one of those 1% things, the 05 forks and frame change being in the same category. Only 1% people will notice the difference 99% of the time, or 99% of the people will only notice the difference 1% of the time. The real question is which category you actually fit in, unless you work in marketing then it is full on 109% all the time.....Must be ... more .... better ....

MELK-MAN and RedReplicant like this.
  12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I have approval to go shopping, just waiting for the right machine to show up now.

Clayton White likes this.
  13. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Damn, that thing is minty as hell.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yea, it is. Was essentially a brand new bike when I got it. Female owner had gotten preggers a fewmonths after they bought it with cash, and it just sat in their garage for nearly 5 years. I scooped it up for a song, threw a few mods at it (no motor work or anything) based on input from knowledgeable folks on here and what I knew about my old '03.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.........the 2nd gen R6 (non-usd forks) is the best overall supersport machine ever made.

Will you go faster on a properly setup 3rd (or now, 4th) gen? Probably. But it will take you a lot more money, tuning, and seat time to feel even halfway as comfortable at 9-10/10ths of performance than you would within a few laps of riding one of these with a good baseline setup.

MELK-MAN, emry and RedReplicant like this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Melkman sings there praises all the time. Ty never got to try one.

I remember back in 2012-13 some racer, don't remember his name, but early to mid 20's and made a few mistakes in life, came out to a WERA AAA event on one. Evidently back in the day he was an AMA hotshot. Tyler commented how much trouble he had passing him, and how impressed Tyler was, because that guy was on some old bike and still really fast. I didn't know at the time they were pretty good bikes, so I just told him, I guess you still have a lot to learn.

16. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I miss mine too! If I could find another as well set up as it was (full ohlins 30mil, tuned, YEC ECU, slides tops etc. - mean lil bike), I would buy it again! I love my current R6 too but these R6S bikes are awesome!! The guy I sold it to crashed it twice. It was mint before that :(
    R6s_zps3ddd4af4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    MELK-MAN, RedReplicant and Bruce like this.
  17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, I've found a machine, 2003 in track trim, just need to figure out logistics to go get it. I sense a three day weekend towing a trailer in my future...

Any setup does and don'ts I should be aware of?

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

-pull the triple clamp out, and block the open hole to the frame. In any crash, dirt will go in the openings on side of the frame, and dirt gets into the steering neck. This opening was closed off on the 3rd gen bike. I just used duct tape..
    - keep in mind that if the tank hits the ground, it can push the airbox off the throttle bodies. the airbox is not bolted to the throttle bodies like it is on the 3rd gen bike.
    -just run the OEM FOAM AIR FILTER. there is zero HP benefit from a k&n type flat filter. We tried em all. And you can wash and rinse the oem foam filter.
    - this 2nd gen motor responds really well to a .45 or so head gasket and cam timing.. i wouldn't do anything else other than map (if this hasn't been done)

RedReplicant and emry like this.
  19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

also... DO NOT align final drive gearing selections of the 2nd gen and 3rd gen R6. they are not gonna be even close.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Good to know.