1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Generations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Oct 30, 2016.

1. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

Sorry to change the topic but will 2012 front R6 rotors work on an 04/05 R6? I'm assuming no but thought I would ask

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

They'll bolt up to the wheel but the OD will be too large, preventing the calipers from being remounted as they foul on the rotor.

3. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

Yea I figured they wouldn't work. Thanks for the info.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It sounds like they will work, but you will need to build/buy caliper spacers to move the caliper out enough to clear the larger rotors. I'm working through the same issue on a GSXR, it's not expensive or difficult, you just need to get a spacer that is equal to the difference between the two rotor radius (radii? But not the diameter).

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

03/04 sports conventional mount calipers, not radial, so you'll need adapter plates to pull the larger OD rotor mod off.

John Hancock likes this.
  6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Ah. There it is. Got it now.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Anyone want a parts collection before I launch this thing into orbit?

Leak down hose with adapter into cylinder number 4 to see what the best case scenario is going to look like before looking at the bad cylinder... I can hear air but according to the tester it's +1% over the inlet... ?! Ok, crap gauges, but no significant leakdown, fine. Go to yank the hose... adapter stays in, is too big to chase with a socket. Grab my more flexible hose from a compression test kit thread it on, hope to coax it and the adapter out... hose clamp loosens, will not unthread at all.

Fuck. Me.

If the bike is going to be this insistent on not running I'm going to relent and toss it.

8. Put JB weld on the threads. Thread it in and let it cure. Unscrew whole thing.

Where is air coming out of? Oil fil? Exhaust? Intake? Breather?

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've nothing to JB weld to at the moment. The hose is still 'on' the fitting but the crimp loosened so that it just spins. The fitting and adapter are not moving, and I have no room to get any sort of tool in to assist. The only way I can see to get it apart now is to drop the motor and rip the head off, then force something into the adapter to unthread it from the combustion chamber side.

I've lost interest. This was supposed to be a light tune up, clean up and run machine to learn on. Now I'm staring down a motor teardown. The bike isn't worth this level of effort.

10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

If the hose came off, can you use an easy out?

pscook likes this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Tear the hose off and use an easy out or other device to remove the fitting. In for a penny, in for a pound. If anything, it'll make the decision to remove and rebuild the engine that much simpler.

12. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

the fitting is brass, isn't it?

I would use one of these guys, tap it in then gently use a socket to remove.

[​IMG]

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I put a space heater in front of the engine for a few hours, both to warm the garage up and make everything I'd be touching to strip it down warm to the touch. Turns out that combo was just enough to let me back the compression tester out of #4. So, 'cause I'm an idiot, I shoved the assembly into #1 (after making sure the adapter was stupid tight on the hose) and 70%+ leak down. Intake, exhaust, and just a smidge past the rings. I'm a little shocked it fired on that cylinder at all. Plugs read the same, no signs of massive issues with my sync tool in dynamic mode... One more thing I'll check first from now on.

Now to decide how to deal with it.

1) Send the head out, have it massaged at the same time? Still need to examine the bottom end to see if it's viable.
    2) eBay motor... wonder how good the 'guarantees' are that the sellers claim to offer?
    3) Throw the retirement fund at it, big bore, big cams, bigger is better, right? I see they make TWO different Carillo rod sets for it...
    4) Find someone unloading another 2nd gen streetbike for CHEAP, move the suspension/etc over and enjoy having a garage full of spares.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It most likely isn't the problem, but take something. like a 1 x 1 piece of wood and put it on top of the valve spring retainer and smack it with a hammer. This will open the valve and potentially free up carbon, crude, dirt, etc. and then do another leak down. Ive actually experience at least one time, dirt/carbon giving me major leak down on a cylinder, then it was fine after doing this. Was the valve clearance really wide on this cylinder?

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That one valve was way wide when I initially checked clearances, leading me to suspect issues and get a leak down tester. I can absolutely believe carbon/etc between the valve and the seat given how horrible the piston crowns looked on the bore scope, so I'll give it a try.

17. eBay motors have been good to us for customers on a budget but I would rebuild that motor.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards rebuild as well, that way there are no questions later. Some of the work I absolutely will have to have someone else do, like fix up the head, what I'm not 100% on is if I want to tackle R&R on the bottom end myself or not. Everything I've been that deep inside of up to this point has been a dirt based single. No plain bearings, no rod caps and bolts, no multiple cylinders...

19. No better time than the present to learn. Just do it, follow the manual and take your time. If you have questions just ask.

Boman Forklift and pscook like this.
  20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I see Kibblewhite doesn't do a spring/valve kit for the R6, anyone else I should looking at or is OEM the way to roll?