1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Generations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but what does that mean?

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

if you were on a 2nd gen r6 and had all your gearing selections (sprockets) sorted for various tracks, and then you get a 3rd gen.. your gearing won't be the same on the new bike. The trans is quite different. the 2nd gen stock gearing was 16/48, and 16/45 on the 3rd gen. I tried same gearing on my 07's when i got them, and it was wheelie city all over the place with the 2nd gen gearing selectons.

also, if you get a 2nd gen, you can't rely on buddies with 3rd gen r6's for gearing advice..

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Oh, I get what you're saying. Derrr. When you said align, I thought you were talking about the marks on the swingarm for wheel alignment. Lol

4. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Shit, I didn't even think about that. I tossed mine at Thunderhill October and fucked up the tank, but never thought about the airbox shifting.

5. MELK-MAN

then 2nd gen only has mounting tabs in 2 locations. on the front and back.. it can rock side to side pretty easily. and with the airbox not bolted to the tb, it can just come undone.. now you risk gravel and/or dirt getting sucked right into the engine.

RedReplicant likes this.
  6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

That's one of the reasons why I put the airbox on my SV. Open velocity stacks and flatslides plus gravel = :(

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I keep seeing references to upping the fuel pressure on the 03/04, either via a Graves preload spacer and the stock unit, or swaping to an 05 regulator. Worth investigating or meh?

8. MELK-MAN

if ya do, may as well throw on the 05 throttle bodies and intake boots (bigger).

9. MELK-MAN

SLIDE STOPS !
    good gracious, almost forgot about this very important mod for the 2nd gen. It's a must do to get rid of the pretty intense lurch that occurs mid corner when you first open the gas... no amount of mapping and playing on the dyno will get rid of this from my experience with four of these bikes. You can ride around it, as Jensen always did prior to me buying his bikes, but it's so much smoother once you put this in and map.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Seems they're getting hard to find. It's in the instructions for the slide stops were I found references to bumping the fuel rail pressure. Guess I'll have some digging to do.

11. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

You can make slidestops out of PCV pipe if you're crafty :)
    I haven't gotten around to it yet... but that on/off throttle transition is gnarly

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Going the Shervin route, what's stopping me from just gluing/epoxying them in the upright and locked position? :D

13. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

I pinned mine.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, current general rule of thumb for middleweight gearing at Loudon is down one tooth in front, up two in back. On the 03 that'd take me from 16/48 to 15/50. Sound reasonable?

Racer773 likes this.
  15. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Sounds pretty short.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's a short track, and I get the impression that people are setting up to only use up to 5th.

tropicoz likes this.
  17. MELK-MAN

need to get with the Wood brothers, or Scotty G. up there.. they all raced 2nd gen bikes , or at least a couple of those guys.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

And it turns out they remember their setups. I've got a gearing target now, good cal Melk-man on who to talk to. This started out as a training tool but I'm actually kinda getting into the idea of trying to race it...

Boman Forklift, MELK-MAN and pscook like this.
  19. MELK-MAN

sweet.

20. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

V8MW, all the fun without the "I am the next Rossi" types. ;)

JustaNobody likes this.