1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT - Concealed Carry guys - recommendations (again)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThrottleJock, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

strick, if you hit the right spot with a marble, it'll do the job. :D a .45 makes all the spots the right spot. :D

2. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Hey ThrottleJock, you deleted your post, now my Desert Eagle post doesn't make sense. Oh well, buy one anyway. Stuff it in your shorts and nobody will f*ck with you. :D

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I spend half an hour talking to a cop with 20 years experience at a local range about guns... For home use he recommended 9mil 380... One with a hollow point seems plenty to do what it is intended to... Seems like a good choice if you want to carry one around.

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Check out the S&W Model 500. It's relatively small, and packs a nice punch to it.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

okay, diet dr deathwagon and mongo are wacked put on a crate of ding dongs and they're after you because, in their sugar induced stuppor, they think you're a giant ring ding, do you want to pelt them with a spitball out of your .380? If so, they'll be pooping you out the next morning.

6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Well, I think I can easily outrun Diet Dave or Mongo, so who needs a gun :D

7. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

get a revolver, it'll shoot every time you pull the trigger. a s&w j-frame model 60 .357mag will do the trick and they aren't stupid expensive either.

8. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

another Keltec P3AT fan.

In the past I have carried AMT Backup's in 380 and 45, Glock 27 (9mm), Interarms Firestar, Beretta, and also a 22mag mini-revolver.

the Keltec works very well, fit, function, and concealability. Sure more caliber and capacity is always better in a defensive situation. I wouldn't 'choose' to take a 6 shot 380 to a gunfight, but if I KNEW I was going to a gunfight I'd rather just stay at home......

the BEST pistol in the world is the one you have with you the day you need it, thats the beauty of a tiny 380 auto like the P3AT.

9. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

I was actually looking at some of the new high-tech (magnesium and titanium) revolvers too. I have zero experience with revolvers and I'm trying to understand the pro's vs. a semi-auto. Simple, stone-tech reliability is one, for sure... and it seems like due to the architecture you can fit a bigger caliber slug into a smaller frame. Fewer moving parts, no slide to mess with, etc.

Anyway.. the price on these .380's is awesome. $300 for any of 'em, basically. To me it's almost a no-brainer to pick one up just to have it, then spend the next 6 months laboring over what small-frame high capacity 9 to buy. That decision will take longer and cost more.

I deleted my post about the .50 because it made me sound a little bit like a fucking maniac. I'm a big fan of those things and I don't want folks to get the wrong idea. :up:

10. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

How does the P3AT compare to the AMT? That's the only pea-shooter I've got experience with, my dad's old ankle gun. I think that may be the first thing I ever shot as a 7yr old. Wait, no that was a 12 gauge. My dad has a sick sense of humor.

11. charles

charles The Transporter

M-67 fragmentation grenade. It will empty an entire room of critters.
    Anyone sticking around after you pull it out...well, they're crazier than
    you and deserve to be blown up or shot.

12. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

:stupid::stupid:

You will never know how good of a "gun for the money" the Bersa Thunder is until you own one. Super reliable, surprisingly accurate and a great price! All of this combined with the size make it the perfect concealed carry gun...IMO of course.

13. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

This:

[​IMG]

Kel Tec PF9. I picked this up. w/ an Uncle Mike's el Cheap-o pocket holster NIB for less than $270 OTD.

Or this:

[​IMG]

Walther PPK/S This was more pricey, but it's a much, much nicer weapon as far as fit & finish goes.

Neither are pleasurable guns to shoot at the range; both are powerfully effective at ranges up to and beyond 10 yards.

Remember: Most altercations occur at 9 feet or less, most are settled with 5 total shots exchanged by both parties.

-HJK

14. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

15. K98TOOM

K98TOOM @theoldcorner

Also dependin on attire carry a Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 or Glock 27(.40) Both with crimson trace grips.

Please stay away from the Kel-Tecs.....

16. V7 Jerry

V7 Jerry Well-Known Member

I use the Taurus PT-145 for my carry gun and love it. Having 10+1 of .45 is always nice. A friend has the PT-111 and it's a good bit smaller than my gun but shoots just as well. I say go for the Taurus. Also the PT-140 is identical in outside dimensions to the PT-111 so you could get a .40 cal in the same size.

17. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

:rolleyes: They Harley Davidsons of the firearms world. 80% marketing, 20% technology developed by dead people 100 years ago, priced to the stratosphere to make you think it's higher quality.

Pick what you want from Kimber, then go over to Springfield and have them build it for you.

Why? Because they meet the OP's criteria, and they're reliable, and they're affordable?

18. FiveOh

FiveOh Well-Known Member

I love my Glock 26 sub-compact 9mm

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

H&K416....with a sling for carrying...:D

20. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

Seth

Robbie just got a keltec and she likes it a lot. I messed around with it and the thing is TINY.