1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT - Concealed Carry guys - recommendations (again)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThrottleJock, Sep 19, 2008.

1. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Sweet! Thanks for the info. guys. Just got an integrated lasermax sight for the glock from opticsplanet--still looking on the XD not sure if I want the light/laser combo or just the laser.

2. nickhepler2

nickhepler2 Well-Known Member

my theory is bigger is better remember 1 shot from a 45 will knock a guy right down try stoppping one with a .380 or 9mm.... and they make pretty compact .45's these days also and even smaller .40's try not to be so cheap its your life your protecting...

3. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

I like having the light/laser both, but that's just me. If you mount one on a rail, you do lose the ability to have a "hard" holster, like a Blackhawk, you have to get a tactical holster from like WRB sales or something. The lasermax laser they have for the Glocks is pretty slick cause it goes under the barrel, but then you don't have a light. So it's really a personal preference, and what you have planned for the gun down the road :)

Enjoy it man :)

4. Captain Squid

I hated how my light/laser looked on my HK, but it looks better on the glock. Here's 2 quick pics showing the difference. They do make smaller one's, which would be nice, but i'm not going to sell this combo just to shell out more $$ on a smaller one.

HK P30 left, Glock 21sf right

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That's why 9mm is the most widespread LEO and military round in the world. Because it sucks...:confused:

Seriously the One Shot Stop Myth is an age old argument. For every case of a .45 OSS you can find five instances of a 9mm OSS. And even more cases where an assailant full of bullets from any caliber kept moving. I've seen deer shot to pieces with rifle or shotgun rds that inexplicably kept going for miles. Shot placement is what counts. Modern rounds from a 9mm will expand darn near .45 size and easily equal to .40 size. For accuracy, recoil, ballistics, availability and type 9mm is the choice of professionals world wide.

There is no One Shot wonder rd. If you prefer .45 or 10mm or .357 SIG or .45 GAP or .380 well that's fine. But who here is willing to take a 124 grain Winchester Ranger SXT 9mm +p (common LEO Rd) in the leg? Not me brother.

PS: It's like comparing an RC51 to an R6. On paper it looks like the RC will murder it. In practice however...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  6. J_fuggin_T

J_fuggin_T Banned

if i shoot you in the head w/ a 9mm or a .45 what happens?? & if thats the case then please tell my why .22lr is one of the most used rounds in murders?? i don't believe in the stopping power bs, IF you had to use a firearm in self defense its likely going to be withing 7-10 yards of the person anyhow & a 22lr is proven to go through a thawed turkey w/ 3 layers of clothing on.

7. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

Using my Kahr 45 to carry since some scumbag stole my XD-9mm sub compact and its not bad nice and thin only 8 shots though. But one shot with the hollow points will take anyone down.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I can't think of any reason to carry a .22 when there are multiple pocket guns in center fire calibers available. There are documented cases of .22 failing to penetrate several layers of clothing such as a winter coat or leather. If it hits bone you can forget penetration at all. Now you've got a pissed off badguy coming at you. A 9mm or .45 is going to smash bone and hit the vitals.

9. J_fuggin_T

J_fuggin_T Banned

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

did you look at insight lights for the hk? they make specific hk lights that look more integrated/streamlined. i know them make a specific light for my usp that doesnt extend far past the barrell, and it mounts directly on the rail, no extra base needed, etc.

11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

its not about being cheap. a compact 45 isnt easy to shoot accurately, and in the time of need, you better hope you can hit what you're aiming at.

there are pros/cons to all the rounds, tradeoffs galore.

want a good home defense pistol? probably a full size 45 is your best bet. want a good mid size carry pistol? probably a mid size 40 or 9mm may be better suited. want a good backup small concealable pistol? probably a 380 auto or a j frame 38.

:rock:

12. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

Both are 3rd gen that I have, but older I guess. not that I need ambi.. I have extended slide release and mag releases on mine, as well as the 3.5lbs trigger bar. I shoot IDPA and IPSC with them, I would not extend for a carry piece though.

I have a Keltec .32 for carry.. and I am sure it will stop anything I need to shoot. A .45 would be nice but not practical in the real world.

13. Captain Squid

I *think* you can add the ambi release on it if it doesn't have it, the right side should have a space for it :)

I was going to ask about the extended slide release today actually, I hate the stock one lol. But it is going to be my daily carry, does it just get hung in the holster?

14. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

You're doing it wrong. Where's your tests or PhD?

This guy has one...

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

"Properly designed hollow-point ammunition - regardless of caliber - all perform very close to each other when you take expanded diameter and penetration depth into account"

Stopping power is a well placed shot.

15. Captain Squid

Well, I just went down to the gun store to get ym night sights, they sent him the wrong one's so it will be tuesday before the new one's come in. Oh well.

But while I was there, I did ask about the extended slide lock release, he had one and installed it to see if I liked it. I fvckin love it! 100X easier now, it's like straight butter. He charged me $13 for it installed :)

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hell yeah! DocGKR posts on www.tacticalforums.com (members only) as well and he is THE authority. Frogman is a legit Navy SEAL who posts there as well when he's not "unavailable".

PS: Hornady's new TAP ammo makes me shiver. I carry that or Ranger T depending on which mag I grab.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  17. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

everything is like $15 each...LOL and takes 2 minutes to put in..

18. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Captain Squid stole my money!! :moon:

Pic the new HK P30L

Fair game since we talked you into the Glock -i think :Poke:

~ shot fresh out-of-the box (after a quick scrub and some CLP): 275 rnds of various brass with no issues.

This is my last handy for while.

Do they have a Betty Ford clinic for gun purchase addictions?

ttl

19. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

20. Captain Squid

:crackup:

Man I love everything about the P30's, they are a sweet gun. I checked out the "L" model a few weeks ago