1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT - Concealed Carry guys - recommendations (again)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThrottleJock, Sep 19, 2008.

1. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

That's a cool chick.

2. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

It's never in the car unless I am, otherwise it's on my hip..Thats my wallet it's laying against for size, I'm 6'2 225 and wear biggish clothes so your carry option may varry...

I have a Bersa 380 as well if the need is there, (carry wise) but I just got a thing for that big .45....Big bullet, big hole, game over......

3. ThrottleJock

I remember reading that the Taurus has a safety KEY thing that you can use to lock it up. Not sure how useful a gun locked with a key would be in a situation where you needed it in a hurry, but what the hell do I know.

4. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Well-Known Member

a little pricy, but the Sig SAS is sooo nice.. That is my next when I get the money to spend on another weapon

5. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

my daily carry is a S&W model 60, it's a bit heavy but it will always go bang and i can shoot it without taking it out of my pocket if the need were to arise.

6. ThrottleJock

Dude that gun is PIMP but where do you put that thing? I don't wear a suit every day, I live in Miami. That's part of the problem. Need something skinny enough to tuck into a set of board shorts, haha!

7. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Haha, it won't go in board shorts for sure, but it fits above my right cheek nicely in jeans or cargo shorts with the right holster...

Check out the XD 9mm sub compacts, 3" barrel and half the size and weight of my .45..Oh, and lifetime warranty through Springfield also..Great guns, much better than any Glock IMO, especially the trigger break...

8. Newb Rider

Newb Rider Well-Known Member

Here's some feedback I gave on what you're looking for in a Jaxsb thread:

http://www.jaxsb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733&highlight=concealed+carry

Glock 26 all the way. I'd take 9mm anyday over .45, more rounds and ammo is more common and cheaper. Remember more often than not just pulling it out is gonna get the job done. If you shoot someone two in the chest one in the head and they're still coming at you, you have bigger problems other than what caliber you're carrying. If I recall .22 kills more people than any other round. Even a .22 round to the head of some jerk is gonna really give them a headache if not kill them. Having a small piece of lead bounce around your skull is no fun because the great thing about a .22 is that you don't have to worry about your background because of penetration. That little .22 will go through a skull but probably won't exit, just bounce around tearing up grey matter. Five or six rounds in some dirt bags chest is also no fun for them.

But yea Glock 26 with Aro-Tec accessories. Kimber if they make something compact in 9mm, they are quality all the way. Anything H&K compact in 9mm.

Aviod Taurus as they are shit and anything posted with a $250.00 price tag is probably a Saturday night special from a pawn shop. Don't be a cheap ass on your carry blaster.

9. Well, sure. If you need to compensate for something, might as well do it with a big, black, plastic gun! :Poke: :D

10. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

My post to a similar question somewhere else for a home defense / carry gun:

Here's why I dont like auto's for true defense especially by those that don't shoot.
    Get out or I'll defend myself!
    Safety on or off? I know Glock's don't but most do.
    One in chamber?
    Should I pull the hammer back?
    click, crap misfire! now what?
    You're sleepy and attempting to defend yourself. Are you going to tear your palm off the way you're holding it?

Here's why I like double action revolvers:
    Get out or I'll defend myself!
    BLAM BLAM BLAM.
    You dead? BLAM.
    beep-beeep-beeep, Maam I just shot an intruder inside my house.

My vote for that and for a pocket gun is: Smith & Wesson 642 Crimson Trace
    [​IMG]

Small, light, +P rated, foolproof, fits in a pocket, always goes bang till theres no more bangs.

And for those with kids, There is an AWESOME gun safe. It get screwed to the bed slats hanging under the bed. It has a hand print in the bottom of it with button in the fingertips. You put your hand in the print and punch in your code (easy to do in the dark). The front of the safe springs open and you reach in and grab your bang bang.

Here it is:
    http://www.gunvaultsafe.com/
    [​IMG]

11. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

your dad and I prolly have a lot in common, just ask my son....

first AMT Backup 380 I had was in the late 70's. It was the first generation of 'tiny' auto-pistols, cocked and locked single action, concealed hammer, and a grip safety. It was really a POS.
    I spent weeks throating and ramping it to get it to feed hollow point ammo reliably, prolly multi-thousand rounds of CCI Lawman 380 HP's went thru it before I 'trusted' it.

second generation Back-up's (mid 80's?) are damn fine weapons out of the box. Double action only, feed anything. I have a 380 and a 45, the 380 was my constant companion for a number of years. The 45 was just to darn difficult to hold/shoot with any degree of 'accuracy' (long trigger pull DAO's with no sights and the word "accuracy" should not be in the same sentence).

I checked out the Keltec 32's when they came out, nice little gun, but they couldn't compare with my DAO Backup 380.

I friend showed me his new P3AT when they were introduced, we shot a few rounds and I was off to the gunstore to get me one of those things!

It feeds reliably, and functions exactly as expected. The thing that made me want one was that it is substantually thinner and lighter than the stainless steel Backup. The AMT is like a hammer (when compared to the Keltec's 'plastic' frame) and is more comfortable to shoot, the Keltec works well and is more comfortable to wear.

The backups, glocks and 1911's all have their place, but the Keltec 380 is an excellent weapon for concealed carry.

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Man- you guys still get to carry? must be nice.

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

since I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I've got one of the Colt Mustang Pocketlite. I'm not a 1911 fan but this thing is small, light and easy to conceal.
    [​IMG]

I think you have to options as everyone has mentioned- get a smaller and lighter pistol in .380 or similar caliber. if you feel confident in your marksmanship and practice with it, the .380 should be fine in any basic defensive situation. The main advantage as everyone has said is if the smaller and lighter pistol helps you to actually carry it on your person more often then it's a great choice. I've got walthers but they are heavier by far than the pocketlite.

if you want/can carry something bigger by all means look at 9mm, 40 or 45 caliber. I've got 380s for small stuff and have 40's if I want to carry something bigger (in the car or fanny pack). taurus PT101 and glock 22 w/ laser and light mostly.

next step is to take a class and really learn what to do with the thing. sitting at a range shooting at a paper target from behind a bench is pretty useless in real life situations. it would be like saying "lets go ride your bike around a parking lot, and you'll be ready to go race with WERA. it's the same right?" :)

:up:

14. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

I used to have one of those in blue, man that was one LOUD gun!! I have a couple of colts (1911's). I sold the pocketlite to buy a sks back in the day (stupid move) That would actually be a perfect gun for my wife if i could find one locally...

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I also have both and put more money into the Springfield than what I paid for the Kimber. I prefer the Kimber.

David

16. bschmitt

bschmitt New Member

I agree with Huey, the S&W 642 is a great pocket gun. For the home, I prefer my Glock 19, as it always fires, but with no safety, I don't want it in my pocket (nor do I want the perfect firearm, the 1911, in my pocket) For those who think a revolver always fires, take a box of lead ammo to the range. The second a speck of dirt gets under the star, it ain't firing. But I would be very comfortable with a clean 642 in my pocket.

17. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

:stupid: Kahr---Great unit, 9mm w/current ammo does the job and it's smaller than that new Ruger .380. Yeah, it's not cheap but you will pass it on to your children [who would probably have to pay $3000 for one THEN...shoot, there I go again...

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

A box? I've fired countless thousands of rounds in my Colt .357, and it has always fired. Always. Tons of those rounds have been cheapie 38 lead rounds, too. It's bounced around time and again in the floor of a mud and sand filled dune buggy, been dunked in rivers, gone way too long between cleanings and still fires every time. If it weren't so stinking big I would carry it everywhere, but it's not exactly concealable.

19. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

A log time ago, a wise man told me that I should never show up at a gunfight with anything whose first name was not "FOUR."

I picked up one of these back then: http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Bulldog_14421.html

Five rounds of .44 Special will do the job, and it fires on every squeeze. It carries very nicely in a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard. Very reasonable cost, very effective defense piece, easy to shoot and hold.

When I have a heavy coat or a car-carry situation, I go for more accuracy and am willing to go a slightly smaler "first name" but with no less effect. Then I bring my S&W 686 Plus in stainless, which packs SEVEN .357 Mag. rounds, which is nice when you are dealing with a psycho who can count :)
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15155&isFirearm=Y

I call it "My little buddy..."

Mostly, however, when I think I am entering a situation that might require a firearm, I go somewhere else. Judgement beats caliber every time.

20. ThrottleJock

Well, after much researching, reviewing, gun-holding, question-asking and wringing of hands, I decided to go for something I had initially not considered due to the frame size - a Glock 19.

I have read nothing but good things about 'em, there seems to be a raving fan base, and from what I can tell it's the GSX-R750 of the gun world. Can't go wrong there. I'll probably pick up a Bersa Thunder .380 or a Ruger LCP as a super micro ccw but for now this should serve as a great all-around piece.

Thank you all for your guidance and varied opinions, I looked at almost every model mentioned in this thread. It was a good education. The trusty WERA board never lets me down.