1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT - Concealed Carry guys - recommendations (again)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThrottleJock, Sep 19, 2008.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

my lastest project............a little .44 mag. :D

[​IMG]

2. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I wholly support your decision, but I have to admit that I may have gone with the 23 instead. That's what I have. It's the same frame (as far as I know?) as the 19 but provides the .40 round instead of the 9mm. I found that I was actually more accurate with the 23 than the 19 when I shot them both before I chose one.

I've probably put thousands of rounds through my 23 and still never had one round misfire, jam, or "stovepipe". And I shot a box of 500 cheap reloaded target rounds at one point. On the other hand, my brother had his Taurus jam about 3 rounds out of the first couple hundred he ran through it. Glock is a great gun.

3. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Sawed off 12 guage.

It helps if you're 6'4" and 280lbs. :D

4. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

I carry the new Kahr 45 sometimes but most of the time I carry my XD-9 sub combact with trace lazer grips or my colt mustang 380 its nice and small but only 5 shots

5. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Sig P220, but it only really conceals well under your arm or in a high hip holster. I take my ParaOrdanance Sub 45 loaded w HP with me everywhere I go on the road, though. It's tiny (smaller than almost ALL of the other .45's I've seen it next to) and really easy to carry. Kind of small grips though. Big mouth and a lot of bark. Put probably 2000 rounds through it this year, no problems.

Shoot lots of different ones, feel sometimes will help you decide better than overall size.

6. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

my brother has all kinds of different guns and i know he has one of these. don't know much about it though.[​IMG]

7. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

CCW

My favorites also carry my clock 17 in a shoulder holster when it gets cooler out.

Attached Files:

8. Stu Carter

Stu Carter Well-Known Member

I carried a Glock 9mm with the extended clip for years. I was never comfortable with it because its a big ass hand gun and even though I have a CCW, it was a pain in the ass. And why did I need a 17 shot 9mm gun for? In a rapid fire simulatioin, I managed to maintain a pattern of about a 10' circle at 15'. WTF. I'd have been better off throwing a rock. So..............

I traded it in for a Walter P22. This hand gun is priced at about $300, fires 22LR bullets, semi-automatic, small with a 3 1/2" barrell, compact and lightweight, ambidextious (I'm left handed), 11 shot with one in the barrell AND extremely accurate. I can fire all 11 shots into a 1' circle from 25' in rapid fire mode. You absolutely can't do that with a Glock. Further, for all those who say a 22 long rifle bullet is too small, it can stop ANYONE with a few so-called plunks.

In summary: light weight, accurate, small, easy to carry and DEADLY.

9. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Springfield XD-40 subcompact.

I have both the 3" sub and the 4" service model. Both are very reliable, and easy to live with. The loaded chamber indicator lets me know that there is one in the chamber without looking, the Striker indicator lets me know if its ready to go, and 2 safeties keep it from going off when I don't want it too.
    Another feature that the Springfield does not mention is that if the gun is dropped the firing pin (striker) disengages making it impossible for the gun to go off unless re-cocked.

I purchased my first used from a federal Marshall, who was "upgrading" to the 45APC for his primary. (Issued glock 23)
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=66

10. Stu Carter

Couple more points on the Walter P22:

For those who question the caliber, I use a subsonic hollow point bullet that spreads well on impact and can do tremendous damage. Also, unlike a Glock, the P22 has an excellent traditional safety, so no way will you have a misfire by mistake. The Glock is a weird gun that way when your safety is only your hand around the gun so it made me feel uncomfortable unless I had it in a holster, jacket pockets didn't seem that good. Also, I used to carry 2 clips but that seems redundant because I don't plan on any extended fire fights. I want to hit my target when necessary and be gone...quick! The P22 is a no show off gun. Easy to carry, easy to conceal and very capable of doing its job.

I've been around handguns and long rifles all my life. When I started playing around with actually firing my Glock, I was amazed at the recoil and inaccuracy during quick use. I suggest that you go out to a berm and shot off 17 shots from a Glock in rapid fire at a tin can or cardboard box. Count the holes. No setting up with that TV combat stance either, just draw and shot fast. At 20' that box won't have a fucking hole in it for most of us working stiffs. The P22 will have a nice tight pattern that will get the job done and pronto.

11. flounder

flounder Bi-Polar Genius

I carry a Glock model 27 which is the sub compact .40 caliber.

The same frame size in the 9mm would be perfect for anyone.

12. flounder

flounder Bi-Polar Genius

Im going to disagree with you on the 22 cal.. Its not a gun that should be used for a ccw. The entire point of the CCW is to protect your life if need be and as bad as it sounds, if you are forced to fire on someone in self defense, you really dont want them on the stand to argue back against you.
    Also, the real point is that the 22 doesnt have any stopping power. Yes I know it can be a lethal round but center mass shots in many cases wont make it through the sternum expecially if its winter and someone is wearing a heavy jacket. My cousin was actually forced to defend himself when a guy broke into his home while he was there, He shot the guy 3 times in the chest with a 22 cal pistol. The guy never realized he had been shot the first 2 times and just kept walking towards him until it started to ache. he then said please stop after the 3rd round and looked down at his chest, saw blood, and just sat down and said I wont do anything but please call an ambulance, Im scared. The guy left the hospital and ended up in the slammer the same day. Inflicting some serious fear is a helluva life safer. whats scarier, a small 22 which you think you can manage or something you know could wipe you out shot 1

the point is that CCW law says generally 13ft is the max distance you can fire on someone in self defense outside the home. A person shot with a 22 can cover 13ft pretty damn quick and if they are carrying a knife, I hate to say it but your done for. Do some googling or youtube searching about knife vs gun and you will see. That is my opinion why you should carry something with some stopping power.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  13. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

kimber 45 and to say they are the harley's of pistols is just stupid.

14. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

Which law is this? :confused:

15. Stu Carter

Hey flounder, what if you plug in the subsonic hollow point bullet into the equation with the P22?

16. Nine29

Nine29 Well-Known Member

XD45 4" compact. 13+1 in the pipe gives you plenty of stopping power and can be concealed for daily carry. I never leave home without it...

17. sdg

sdg *

I don't know if you've ever played with loading your own stuff...but a buddy in college and I did (he still does - I don't shoot much anymore) and we played with overall loaded lengths and my Ruger P89 (and bullet weight & charge weight). With the round long enough so it is chambered with the bullet "deep" into the barrel (just touching the start of the rifling) the difference in accuracy is on the same order of magnitude you describe. We were both amazed. (and he grew up loading/shooting) You can't touch those loads with out of the box loads. Just sayin.

(not sayin the quality of the weapon doesn't make a difference)

18. flounder

flounder Bi-Polar Genius

Well, now your talking about a bullet with less mass then a solid round and even less velocity since they are the subsonic rounds means even less ft lbs delivered on impact so less damage.

19. flounder

flounder Bi-Polar Genius

Let me find if for you.. It may be different in your state.. well actually CA doesnt even have CCW does it? I will look for the law right now.

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Borther, at 6'4, 280 "Boo" would f@ck me up for a week"..