1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT - Concealed Carry guys - recommendations (again)?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThrottleJock, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

BIG difference in hitting a target and knocking down a 200 lb man....

When I first moved to the Atl...I went down to have a welder fixed, big guy on the loading dock had his shirt off, I noticed some "pock marks" scattered across his chest...after some discussion about different things, I ask him what it was from...
    "Little motherfucker shot me in a bar...", With what?....a ".25auto...7times"....what happend??......."I made him eat it...then went to the ER, and then went back to the bar"....
    When I got back in the truck I took my .25 out of my back pocket where I had carried it for several years and put it in the glove box....I have never carried it again.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Hydraulic shock is your friend in close quarters situations. Glock .40 for me. Don't carry always, but it's there.

3. sleeven

sleeven 2 wheeled pimp

glock 19 is what i crry its small enough to conceal but big enought to wear you have a good grip and feal on it i carry mine a lot of places and normally have in small of back or on right hip( these are all with a in the pants style clip on holster) but the glock is a full proof gun simple to use and clean very acurate and reliable

4. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

After much more research, thinking, and wringing of hands after my prior post I actually went in there today with the intent of walking out with a sub compact .45, but then I started looking around at ammo costs. I'm going to pump a lot of rounds through this thing at the range and that extra .20 round is something that I took into consideration. This will be a good start - I think the next one will be a micro .380, and the next a subcompact .45.

I'm already hooked. I love machinery of almost any kind, and I had no idea guns were so cheap (compared to other cool machinery).

5. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Load your own if you plan on shooting a lot.

6. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

I'm interested to see how the thing shoots now after reading the recoil/accuracy comments. I'm a pretty good shot, generally within 2" at 15 yards for a raise, sight, pop pop (always 2 round squeeze, never more unless I'm playing). I'm tighter with a .22 and slightly sloppier with my pops' Sig 226 but the grip doesn't feel right. I'm terrible with .45's, sort of flinchy waiting for the big pop. I did run a few rounds through a stock 19 today and it was about 3" at 15 yards from a draw, and tight 2" circles at the same distance from a relaxed stance. I didn't feel that was bad for a gun I'm not familiar with. I didn't try the panic yank from pants, hold the gun sideways and slap the trigger as fast as possible 'til the clip is dead in the general direction mode though, I've always been taught to avoid that technique haha. I think that's the standard Glock method, rapper style. Hopefully it's not the gun.

7. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

A couple of guys I shoot with we all go and do USPSA matches. There alot of fun usally 5-6 stages and you may shoot as much as 200 rounds alot of mag changes and steel also. You always double tap targets and are scored for time and accuracy. I use my Glock 17 in production class but there are alot of trick 45's and other guns as well also do 3 gun shoot that's fun. Everything is always out of the holster sometimes loaded sometimes not. I have never had a problem with my Glock after a weekend of shooting 2-300 rounds I will clean it in my crest ultra sonic gun cleaner and its as good as new same with my AR-15 pull off the air point and magnifer and into the tank and they are clean. That's what I hated the most about shooting was cleaning now that's no problem.

8. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

CA certainly allows firearms carry for personal defense. In fact, their laws are generally preferable to Georgia's (my state).

9. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

Which club?

10. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

11. I didn't go through all the pages...but I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Compact last August. Different sized grips come with the gun, to magazines, plastic case. I carry mine pretty much all the time...unless I am going somewhere that is illegal to carry too. $450 took it home same day I bought it. I originally went in for a Glock, but liked the M&P better. Field strips in seconds. My wife shot it the other day at our local range and this being only her second time firing a gun only missed a silouette target 3 times out of 20 shots. Most of them were 5 pt areas. So very easy gun to shoot. They recently came out with the M&P .45 Compact. That might be my next one...but like you rounds are pricey. The Glock I wanted was a .40 but again the rounds were more. We went to the range and for $22.00 we shot a box of 50 rounds, a couple of my hot carry rounds, and the range time.

12. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

Glenn we go to River Ben Gun Club in Dawsonville GA

13. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

MC Racing how do you like the trigger pull on the 9mm I got the 40 and don't like the trigger pull and it seems you can't change without spending more than the gun cost brand new

14. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

I'm partial to Glock (accurate, reliable), but I'll say this: Don't buy a 'cheap' gun for self-defense. Cheap guns are for plinking.

15. S.E.R.E.

S.E.R.E. Frog Man

I of course carry a SIG P226 NSW. It is a little bigger, but everyone that knows i carry, never can tell I have it on me. I use either a Fobus hip holster or a shoulder holster. I used toput around 10,000 rounds a year through it for the first few years and now am down to around 1,000.

The best thing I can suggest it that accuracy is the only thing you need to worry about. Large bullets are for sloppy shooters. In a gun fight, calm accurate shoots save lives. Remember a M16 shoots a .223 round, or course it has a huge velocity. And was made to be very accurate.

Also dont listen to cops about shooting, they are by far the worst shooters for the most part......

16. Calibretto

Calibretto I can has Busa now?

I'd say the Kahr out of the three, but personally, if the gun is going to just sit there and not be used often, I wouldn't buy a cheap one that may be high maintenance.

I carry a Glock 26, but then, I went with it because it's mags work with my duty pistol. Oh hpw I wish I could carry a CDP II though >:3

Unsure of how much they are but check out the Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact.

And don't discount .38, despite what anyone says on size these days, modern ballistics and defensive rounds in all calibers will still hurt. Its a foreign object pushed into you're body at a high velocity. That and it's all about placement of the shot as well.

Good luck on whatever you choose though :)

17. I did a trigger job on mine. Didn't take me too long. Now it is about a 4lbs trigger and a lot smoother. If you think you are up to the task of trying it yourself PM your email, I believe I have the write up with pictures on my external HDD.:up:

18. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Let me give you another perspective on a G19 for defensive use. I recently took a concealed defensive pistol course with combatives. It is taught to LEO, Mil, and CCW civilians. We had an MMA instructor teaching the combatives and firearms trainers doing the pistol part. We put it all together at the end of the class.

This was a very physical class. At the end for fun we did what we call the Jihadi drill. We started at the target and ran to:

10ft line: 2 pushups, two combinations on the padded guy, draw and shoot 2 shots, holster weapon
    20ft line: 4 pushups, two combinations on the padded guy, draw and shoot 4 shots, holster weapon
    30ft line: 6 pushups, two combinations on the padded guy, draw and shoot 6 shots, holster weapon
    40ft line: 8 pushups, two combinations on the padded guy, draw and shoot 8 shots, holster weapon
    50ft line: 10 pushups, two combinations on the padded guy, draw and shoot 10 shots, holster weapon

You have to run to touch the target between each line. Shooting at a IPSC target you are scored by the amount of total time and number of hits. Using a g19 I scored 25 out of 30 possible hits. Remember 10 of those shots are 50ft away with your lungs trying to jump out of your chest! I'm no "high speed low drag" kinda guy either. I think the G19 is quite accurate for any defensive purposes.

Get some good defensive training. Training and mindset are just as important as your choice of weapons. Oh, and forget that rapper shit...:p

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  19. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

Accuracy is a huge part of the equation of course. And I'll agree, that staying calm and being able to hit your target will save your life way faster than throwing a ton of lead out there.

However, it doesn't matter how accurate you are if the bullet isn't large enough to stop someone. As someone said, most CCW encounters will take place within a few feet. The goal is for the round to impact hard to enough to stop their momentum and maybe even take them off their feet.

The M16 isn't a good example in this discussion because it's used for a different purpose. Aren't most soldiers issued side arms to go along with that M16? And it used to be a .45 though I think they're 9mm now..........

20. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

Not only accuracy, but how quickly you can squeeze off an accurate first shot is what saves your life. The average person (LEO included) cannot draw from conceal and hit a point blank moving target in under 2-3 seconds. Realizing the threat, draw, aim, squeeze trigger. The average strungout crackhead can easily cover 30ft in that time span.

This BS about caliber 9mm being too small and "needing" .40 and .45 for the knockdown power is crap. 9mm hollow point makes a mess of the human body. I have a family member (big guy; 6'4")that survived a less than 5ft 9mm hit to the torso. The shock wave of the bullet penetrating the body incapacited him instantly. He was at the mercy of the assailant to finish him off. There was no time to draw from conceal to defend himself.

If you carry you need to be able to bring lethal force to bear calmly, quickly and accurately. Caliber matters very little.