1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most reliable used 400+ HP Sedans

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don't leave out whatever the Infinity sedan is called now. Nice cars but depreciates rapidly so it'll be cheap used.

2. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Which part of my answer was unclear? As reliable as anything else in this segment. Since you like to restate.

IS-F is a good call but for the money you are going higher in mileage and older.

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

CLS 63 I had was pretty reliable, 510hp. Only problem I had was light in gauges burned. But it is expensive to maintain.
    BMW will not get in my driveway again, the newer ones.

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

For under $40k? Dibs!

Phl218 likes this.
  5. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Pontiac G8 GXP or Chevy SS?

slider417 likes this.
  6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Audi S4 reflashed.

track wagon likes this.
  7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Porsche has a back seat. Just saying

Not 400 hp but the Infiniti g37 will shock you. Cheap plentiful and so far the best car I've ever owned. Previous car was a Ferrari and the g37 wasn't a disappointment

slider417 and BigBird like this.
  8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Btdt, NO!

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

E39 or E60 M5

Tuned 2012+ F30 335i

E90 M3 Sedan

Audi RS4 or RS6

Lexus ISF

Infinity has a new Q50 hot rod sedan don't they?

SRT8 Charger or 300

G8 GXP or Chevy SS (are those two the same car/platform?)

Caddy CTS V

That's a lot to choose from but I think i'd take any one of them except maybe the SS.

I know it is a coupe but on my short list of bang for the buck hot rods is a CL65 AMG. I've seen very nice 2008-2010 examples for less than 50k. V12, Twin Turbo, almost 700hp. I dig those.

10. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Which Ferrari?

11. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

You have at least a 13 year old car, if not older. Of course it's a pain in the ass to keep going. Any car that old would be.

CTS-V would be fun. My choice would be the M3. Just a lot harder to find the sedan. G8 and SS are fun too. BMW designed the suspension on the G8 with a big push rod v8.

Besides the M cars bmw doesn't know how to make V8s. A last gen M5 with the v10. If you can find a clean one that's my dream car.

12. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Have any of you owned or driven the SS? I kind of forgot about it because, well, Chevy, but the more I'm reading now, the more interesting it seems. (I've heard great things about the magnetorheological shocks.) It does sound like getting a manual trans is virtually impossible, though.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

The G37 is fast enough to get you in trouble. I liked it better than my wife's current 335i...but the 335i's power is addictive, but there's not much places to really use it. The G37 was a good mix. I really like the IS 350 a bit more than all of them, but that felt the slowest.

Like I mentioned before the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 is probably the car to have. Est. 0 to 60 in 4.4 and maybe even faster than that. Basic bolt-ons may push the car closer to 4.0-4.2 sec range :eek:

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Me? Id go 335ix, S4 or Q5 with the 6. Perfect for me would be an SQ5 but I don't know what's out there of $40K and I'd most likely be in jail a month after getting one.

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

348 spider not a rocket ship by any means but still fun

bleacht likes this.
  16. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

Hyundai Genesis 5.0 r spec

emry and cha0s#242 like this.
  17. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I owned a G8 GXP (auto). I liked it a lot. It was a fun car but a little bigger than I needed. I turned a 2:3X at VIR full in it on stock sized tires.

Not to mention that the LS platform is extremely easy to get more HP out of.

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Yup it's old. I also have a ton of car enthusiasts in my circle of friends. Particularly high-end german stuff. Guess what? My old E39 is more reliable than any of their cars with the exception of the E92 M3's. The V10 in the M5 you mention in particular is probably the biggest pile of shit outside of anything that says "AMG" on it. Amazing when it runs, don't get me wrong, but the CEL is a permanent feature on them and they are massive maintenance hogs. Plus the SMG just sucks ass and is crazy $$ to service. The 6 speed just doesn't seem a good match for the car when you drive it. One person I know who got the stick thinking he would avoid all the SMG issues quickly sold it anyway after everything else cost him tons of $$. The only guy I know who regrets dumping his went into a CL63 which ended up having over 30 grand in warranty work before he ultimately dumped it for a boat (yeah, that's how bad that car was).

CTS-V's are ridiculous fast, and the three I know that track them don't have any real problems with them other than they eat tires and brakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the track. E90 series M3's are pretty bulletproof.. Rod bearings and consumables are really it. Nothing on the bottom end though for daily driving, have to wind them out a lot.

Anyhow, with tons of choices for newer cars, I ended up back in an E39 as I think they just nailed it with the driving experience, but readily admit that was a personal choice not based on logic. OP mentioned reliability in the title of the thread as well as used, so IMHO, that kinda rules out anything German outside of an E90 series M3 or maybe a C63.

19. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Not a sedan, but it has 4 doors. Also not 400 hp, but I suspect it wouldn't take much to get it there.

Ford Focus RS. Discuss. (Or is this thing going to be one of those cars where dealers markup the hell out of it?)

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Nailed it with the markup comment. I bet it's a hoot to drive though. At least you know your resale will be solid on it. If going the hot hatch route, may want to check out the Golf R as well.