1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most reliable used 400+ HP Sedans

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Mar 15, 2016.

1. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I just ended up picking up a used S7. Love the car in pretty much every way. Definitely consider the driving mode you're testing the cars in. On mine, in Comfort mode with the suspension raised up, it doesn't inspire the best feel (for sport use). Lowering it back down and going to Dynamic mode makes the biggest difference in feel I have ever experienced with a mode selector in a car. Everything changes: steering, suspension, throttle response, shifting. I was also very impressed with the turning radius (especially for an AWD car). All of the gadgets in the car are fun to play with. Love the interior with the quilted stitched seats. The dual-clutch S transmission is also very nice, very happy with the engagement and shifts. Performance is good, and it handles stop and go traffic surprisingly well. Got plenty of trunk space, passenger room is good. 400mm brakes are stupid good at stopping the car. I am just absolutely happy with the car. Oh, and the adaptive cruise control is very cool. Like auto-pilot for gas/brake.

Sorry it's not much help on the S5 though... I know that SC V6 feels decent on power after trying an A6. It's not crazy power, but it'll get you on the interstate quickly. Does the S5 get the air suspension? Really love it on the S7.

BigBird and gt#179 like this.
  2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Can't be any worse than a 2wd pickup with nothing in the bed. In fact, the car should have a lot more mass over the drive wheels. I would want to test drive it in snow before buying something with that configuration, but I wouldn't completely write it off, and I commute 47 miles each way, directly into Ohio's "snow belt." The bigger issue would be the fuel economy with a 400hp car. I don't think I'd be taking it out much in the winter...

3. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

she liked the S7 and in dynamic mode she enjoyed driving it but felt the S5 was must more nimble and smaller feeling. If it was just a commuter, the S7 would be ideal but she's like something she can take to the mountains and enjoy a bit as well. She's had an S2000 for a while and an E46 M3 both with the 6 speed manuals. But she's looking at the dual clutch on the new car just because of traffic/commuting.

not sure about the suspension on the S5. My friend has the S5 with the manual transmission but he's had it chipped and new exhaust so it's probably closer to 380/390hp?

4. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Actually, from what I've been hearing, the car does fairly well in the snow as long as you have proper snow tires. There's pretty slick video on youtube that someone put together (clearly advertising for the Canadian market) of some racers/driving school guys taking some Genesises around a winter test track. Looks like fun! (Not sure exactly what the video rules are so I'm not posting the link. It's the top hit if you google "hyundai genesis 5.0 r-spec winter driving")