1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-Phone or Android

Discussion in 'General' started by C-Par, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

get used to it. You'll have to reboot that phone with a battery pull just about every day to keep it running correctly... just like my BB Storm and Curve.

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Like I said, open source has its advantages... and dis-advantages. The malware for the droid will be MUCH worse then on the iPhone.

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Ahh, now that's what I needed to know. I can wait one more month. :D

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Not....it's been in continous use without a single power down or reboot since I got it. So has the wifes.

5. Venom51

So you're a cook and prophet.

6. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Meh. I'm waiting for a while. But what do I know?

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

stay tuned :D

8. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

It's hard to get a non-biased opinion, so try them both out and see which one you like better.

I still think the iPhone is the phone to beat. Most reviews say the same thing. You can't beat the ease of use. I hated everything Apple (and still mostly do), but iTunes aint that bad (it's definitely easy), and the phone itself is phenominal.

AT&T's network isn't great, but it's more modern than Verizons (read: it can handle more data and simultaneous data/calls). The only real network issue I have is in moderate coverage areas the phone will indicate 3-5 bars, but I can't make a call. Then the signal goes to zero, then full again - and then everything works fine.

9. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Then that modern data plan ain't too good when you don't have the signal, now is it? :crackup:

Honestly, if it weren't for AT&T's network, I would have gotten the iPhone a long time ago. But since my work phone is AT&T and my personal is Verizon, I can see the coverage side by side and Verizon kicks the shit out of AT&T around me. I can't count the times I've had a work call cut off and had to call back on my Verizon.

10. Venom51

Yeah...let's not inclide the little fact that it can only handle simultaneous voice and data when standing in an area covered by the blue area in the maps they tried to sue Verizon over.

Every where else it works just like the CDMA network except for that whole making and staying on a call thing.

11. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Ditto, never had to kill it once.

12. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Funny, I just ran a search on Google for January Droid phone rumors for Verizon. Would you believe this thread came up third on the list of most recent straight off the bat? :crackup:

13. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I don't see why. Both have a free SDK, both have a well defined API, both have excellent developer resources. You don't need source code to the OS to write malware, as evidenced by the overwhelming amount that's targeted @ Windows. Gotta disagree with you, the favorite target is the most popular because it's a throw-it-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks proposition. The more targets, the more likelihood of success.

14. trackjunkieX

trackjunkieX Banned

It's all about the apps. For me the iPhone save me from having to carry around two additional devices, a Kindle for ebooks and a ipod for audible audiobooks. The Droid supports neither at the moment.

Before I dumped Verizon (had to pay $170 early term fee and they were unable to transfer my number - still don't regret it a bit) and got my iPhone, I tried a Blackberry Storm. What an incredible POS. My guess is the Droid is way better than the Storm, and if it has the apps you want, go for it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  15. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Damn I didn't mean to start a war

Just like the MAC vs PC here.

Anyways I can wait till Jan next year. No big deal.

16. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Yup, I'm with you. One more month isn't going to hurt anything. Just want to make sure to use my upgrade wisely. The Android based looks great, just have to make sure it will do everything I need.

17. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I understand your point and it's a good argument. With the number of Droid based devices that will be on the market over the next year or so, it may very well overtake the iPhone in market share. Couple that with the availability of the source code and bad things can happen.

With the limited resources small mobile computing devices carry, hardening the OS is the best line of defense against information theft. The jailboken iPhone worm that recently came out didn't use any advanced techniques to access the device. People who jailbroke and added SSH should know enough to change their default passwords. If you didn't you deserve whatever you get. That's my take anyway.

18. bird_dog0347

bird_dog0347 Major League Infidel

I have my iPhone running on T-Mobile with no issues. Jailbroken and unlocked, the only way I will change is if I can get an iPhone on Verizon next year when AT&T and Apple's deal is up.

19. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

the iphone is the best phone i have used out of all the smart phones, there is a reason they outsell everything even converting people from other services

20. Venom51

Then you won't be changing.