1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-Phone or Android

Discussion in 'General' started by C-Par, Dec 8, 2009.

1. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

I'm sorta swinging towards the I-Phone.

More refined, great interface. Plus 2 I-phone users in here.

I have tried both but I had one motorola and wasn't too happy with it.

We'll see I will decide later this month.

2. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Shoot,

Is it true that you can't tether with the I-Phone in stock form?

I was told you have to jail break it.

3. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Don't need to jailbreak it to tether, instructions abundant on the Interwebs.

4. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I don't know about that. That was the case prior to 3.1.2 with a carrier update but not anymore.

5. Knarf Legna

I sit corrected, when did they come out with that to close that loophole? Has to have been recent, I was using a friend's iPhone tethered last month.

6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Oh no, tethering still works but as soon as they came out with the 3.1.2 update it removed the carrier update the originally allowed for the non-jailbroken tethering to work. If you didn't install 3.1.2, you're fine.

Now you need to have it jailbroken and do a couple steps to re-enable it. Pretty easy as long as you already have the phone jailbroken.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Doh...

8. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Eh just busting your balls... :)

Nothing better when someone is calling you stupid and use your instead of you're...

9. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

It could be the carrier, I can tether on Roger's, I haven't tried it myself but others have.

I got Pocket Tunes last night, all I can say is wow, I can get all my local radio stations and was checking shit out from all over the world. I have to go thru some mountains in a few weeks so maybe it will work thru them, :beer: I will also link you to Sirius if you have a subscription with them. There is a dyno app but the reviews are mixed.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  10. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Another great app for world radio stations is WunderRadio. I use it to listen to MotoGP broadcasts live from the countries they are in. Most are English speaking.

11. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Question, there seems to be more and more information coming out that the new Google Android phone is going to be actually sold straight out, my understanding is not necessarily to any specific carrier. There are indications that it is using a sim card. Sucks for us Verizon people. Maybe.

Here's the question. My current Verizon phone is the Imagio. It's actually a sim card phone. If that's the case, is there the possibility I would be able to use this phone on the Verizon network?

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

not unless it's a CDMA phone. Check the specs on the radio to see if it's CDMA or GSM.

13. JamesEarl15

JamesEarl15 Dirt Diggler

Verizon are on a different format from AT&T or T-Mobile as they used GSM. Now Im pretty sure you could use that phone on the verizon network (like the Storm). Ive seen people on the blackberry storm on T-Mobile's network. Also I think that Verizon is changing to SIM cards.

14. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Crap, looks like they are shooting for GSM based at this point.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Verizon has already said no to "The Google Phone". The LTE network that will start being rolled out in 2010 will bring with it the ability to buy an approved phone from someone other than Verizon to use on their network. Not as open as the GSM stuff as Verizon still wants to test and approve each phone before it's allowed on the network but that are trying to move away form only being able to use a Verizon branded handset on their network.

The LTE network will use the 700Mhz Wireless Spectrum that Verizon bought following the shutdown of analog TV broadcasts here in the US.

Here are some highlites.

Advantages of Verizon Wireless LTE

The performance and capabilities of LTE will be unmatched in the marketplace, allowing customers to do things never before possible in a wireless environment. Consider some of the advantages that Verizon Wireless’ implementation of LTE will provide:

HIGHER DATA RATES: With Verizon Wireless’ 10 + 10 MHz implementation, LTE will be supporting average data rates per user of 5-12 Mbps in the forward link, and 2-5 Mbps in the reverse link. The maximum and average LTE data rates are significantly greater in magnitude in the reverse and forward link correspondingly, than those supported by existing 3G technology. LTE will truly enable video application on the downlink as well as uplink – including but not limited to video-sharing, surveillance, conferencing and streaming in higher definition than is possible with existing 3G technology today.

COVERAGE: Verizon Wireless’ deployment of LTE in the beachfront 700 MHz spectrum provides coverage and in-building penetration advantages over existing 3G technologies (and other 4G competitive implementations) deployed at higher frequency bands. This enhanced in-building coverage/penetration will make indoor applications even more powerful.

BETTER MULTIPATH, MOBILITY AND POWER PERFORMANCE: The advanced radio characteristics of LTE address several issues that have traditionally crippled cellular wireless, including multipath and multiuser interference. LTE’s use of OFDMA and MIMO in the downlink transmission effectively eliminates intra-cell multiuser interference and minimizes inter-cell multiuser interference thereby maximizing performance. Similarly, the SC-FDMA uplink transmission allows for user equipment to transmit low power signals without the need for expensive power amplifiers. Improvement in battery power consumption in end-user devices (UEs) is a side-benefit of the coverage and multipath/power performance advantages offered by LTE.

LATENCY: The user plane latency achieved in LTE is approximately 1/4th (one-fourth) corresponding latency in existing 3G technologies. This provides a direct service advantage for highly immersive and interactive application environments, such as multiplayer gaming and rich multimedia communications.

SIMULTANEOUS USER SUPPORT: LTE provides the ability to perform two-dimensional resource scheduling (in time and frequency), allowing support of multiple users in a time slot; in contrast, existing 3G technology performs one-dimensional scheduling, which limits service to one user for each timeslot. This capability of LTE results in a much better always-on experience, and also enables the proliferation of embedded wireless applications/systems.

SECURITY: LTE provides enhanced security through the implementation of UICC Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) and the associated robust and non-invasive key storage and symmetric key authentication using 128-bit private keys. LTE additionally incorporates strong mutual authentication, user identity confidentiality, integrity protection of all signaling messages between UE and Mobility Management Entity (MME) and optional multi-level bearer data encryption.

SIMPLIFIED WORLDWIDE ROAMING: Verizon Wireless’ chosen migration path to LTE, the widely adopted next-generation 3GPP standard, will provide greater opportunities for seamless international roaming and for global device economies of scale as well.

MASS DEPLOYMENT: LTE’s inherent support for IPV6 addressing and IMSI-based identifiers makes mass deployments of machine-to-machine applications over LTE possible.

16. JamesEarl15

JamesEarl15 Dirt Diggler

I think it all depends on if EVDO will allow that format, which it should. I mean I would prefer GSM anyday of the week. Only reason why CDMA is still out is because its cheaper as in tower sharing and it has a longer bandwith in signal for ex. When you are in the middle of the woods, you will probably have a better signal with your Verizon phone than Att/T-Mobile. Now if you go overseas, you will see how GSM is SUPPOSED TO BE OVER HERE....:up:

17. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

The next generation of data phone air interface is an evolution of GSM (the kind of service that used the SIM card), called LTE (for Long-Term Evolution).

Verizon/Alltel has plans to deploy LTE. They will need mobiles that are CDMA1X Voice capable as well as LTE data capable. Since Verizon will be in a position to drive the requirements on those mobiles, those mobiles may or may not have SIM cards when they become available.

18. JamesEarl15

JamesEarl15 Dirt Diggler

Working for sprint where CDMA was their network and currently working for T-Mobile, their services are night and day. Also having the opportunity to travel overseas (in which GSM is the only technology they use over there and they are probably on 4g/5g), it seems like GSM domination is coming. Only reason why CDMA is still alive is
    A). They are basically the ONLY company that still uses it (Sprint is going down and we all know it, rumors are already out that T-Mobile is buying them)
    B) Since they own all the CDMA towers or damn near and they are the #1 provider in the U.S, it would be stupid to change over. Just upgrade the towers they have (in which they are doing)
    C) Their footprint is soo large as well, its insane (going backt to B)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  19. Knarf Legna

[​IMG]

Looks like it's an HTC with quad band GSM. Looks like the guy dumped his BB too. :D

20. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I'm happy to say that since the upgrade to 2.0.1, my phone hasn't crashed or locked up even once....knocking on wood now. :up: