1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-Phone or Android

Discussion in 'General' started by C-Par, Dec 8, 2009.

1. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Well later this month it's time for a new phone.
    I have a KRZR from T-mobile and it's time to go with one of these smart phones.

I'm really impressed with the I-Phone but I would need to go on the ATT network and I hate I-Tunes.

Now the Andriod is out. The better android is made my motorola, and I have not been impressed with them. Open source should be good. It doesn't seem to be refined as the Apple but it is backed by google.

There is also an HTC version that is less expensive.

The verizon network seems like to one to be on in my area. My uncle is a Tower Tech and he claims they spend to most on infra structure. A lot of my family is on verizon.

I'm not in a super hurry but will by something at the end of this month.

If I could get the I-Phone on the verizon network I'd go that route.

NOthing from T-mobile seems to compare.

2. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

you don't have to switch to ATT, you can unlock the iPhone to work with virtually any network such as T-Mobile (not sure about Verizon). Although this route may be more expensive bc you have to buy a iphone privately which can be 4-500. As far as iTunes, i hated it too. I was a winamp guy, but i have setup itunes to the point where i like it better than my ol winamp.

i like them all, although the verizon app store could use a little more, with time it will be up with apple. The only downside with the droids is the inability to completely customize them like you can with a jb iphone...

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Android...hands down. It's slick, super flexible...pretty much allows you to make the phone function in the way that suits you best...not what Apple thinks is best.

The Eris is not a bad device but lacks the hardware keyboard that I prefer. Pick one...either are good devices and there is more in the pipeline.

Don't hold your breath for the iPhone on the Verizon network...it's almost a certainty that it will never happen. I'm not ruling it completely out but there is some history that will keep them from ever reaching an agreement.

4. Venom51

You're kidding right. A jail broken iPhone is far from completely customizable.

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Android, easily. I'd go with the Droid right now, but there are going to be some pretty highly badass new Android-based phones coming out in the next few months (so I'm told, Venom probably knows more but just won't tell us, the bastid) that might be worth waiting for if you can put up with the KRZR for a while longer.

6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

:rolleyes:

An jailbroken iPhone is more customizable then you know. The limiting factor for the Droid is the network it's on. Verizon's limited CDMA network is it's Achilles Heal, and yes, I felt this way even when I worked for the company for the last 9 1/2 years.

The only limiting factor of the iPhone is the depth of UNIX knowledge of it's owner.

And the iPhone will not work on Verizon.s CDMA network, jailbroken or not.

as a caviot, the Droid is a solid platform that will only get better before it gets worse. Open source is nice, until the hacks start writing malware for it.

7. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

8. Knarf Legna

Well, the iPhone is certainly ahead on that count, isn't it? LOL. ;)

9. natedogg624

o rearry?

you must not have had a jb iphone...name one thing that you can "customize" on a Droid, that you "can't" on a jb iPhone?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  10. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I love my iPhone but AT&T sucks so bad I'm switching to the Android. If you talk on the phone a lot (I talk about 1500-2000 minutes a month) go with the Android. -Snack

11. Venom51

Backup every bit of the preferences and software installed to an SD card for transfer to a new device.

Ohh shit...I'm sorry. You don't have one of those.

12. Knarf Legna

Oh, I know, I know!! How about background app priority? Or widget presence? Did I get it right? :D

13. Venom51

Wait...I know....take the battery out.

14. Venom51

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You are cruel.;)

16. natedogg624

backup via iTunes.

backgrounder for iPhone. widgets are the same as apps as far as im concerned.

win.

17. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

ZING!!! That's gotta sting. :crackup:

Now come on, give us a hint when the new ones are coming out. I don't wanna blow my last two year upgrade on the Droid if there's better coming down the line. C'mon, ya know ya wanna tell us. :D

18. Venom51

You won't see anything new until January according to my source.

19. Knarf Legna

Backgrounder can't overcome the inherent lack of background processing capability of the iPhone for third party apps. There's a big difference between an iPhone w/Backgrounder and a Droid in that regard. Push Notification is a hack and not even close. I could go into technical details but I don't think it's necessary.

Widgets != apps.

20. The CHAD

The CHAD Well-Known Member

Not sure on the technical side of it but VZW is getting ready for the next generation of technology that may or may not open the door for them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution