1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

I've never had an at fault incident. I need stickers like the ww2 aces....
    4 deer, 3 minivans, 1 small pickup, 1 Jeep
    I don't count opposums or dogs.. :)

Jeb yes.
    Honda pilot changed lanes into my left front steer, then sideways in front of me playing pingpong with guardrail and right side. Female in psngr seat tried to climb across to drivers side and claim she was driving.
    A minute or 2 later After I call 911 the blue pt cruiser never even touched the brakes 70mph into back of trailer. I was getting the useless triangles out the side box when she hit. I got showered with glass from her car. 60+ feet away.

There are lots of little details I'm too lazy to type that would really make you go WOW.

Aug 2005 outside Houston a Dodge Voyager minivan ran 9.5 feet under my trailer. Dead on impact. Windshield wipers were in the handles of my trailer doors. I was parked on shoulder for another incident.

Some things you never forget and the groeusome (SP) details get burned into your memory.

K51000 likes this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Holy crap you've been in some shit. :eek:

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  3. Marid2apterbilt

18yrs and 4-5+? MILLION miles. It not if but WHEN.

ToofPic likes this.
  4. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Damn!! Got me beat! Not sure of my miles?
    9 yrs,
    Tagged me:,1 bmw,one chevy suv,1 freightliner trying to park
    Ive tagged: 10 plus armadillo,1 german sheperd,possums,lost count on cats,tons of birds,rabbits.

Things that you never think about when you start driving,the amount of animals you kill,and the horrific accidents,and fatalities you see.
    I've seen some wrecks I will never forget,big trucks and cars.
    Roads are a dangerous place! Keep the dirty side down! :)

Forgot zero at fault accidents too!

K51000 likes this.
  5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

6. Marid2apterbilt

I passed thru the nantahala 6am this morning. :).
    It needs to stop raining. Lots of small mud slides and trees down all over.

7. Marid2apterbilt

Not putting on the miles like I used to. The motivation just isn't there anymore but it's enough to pay the bills and keep up the toys.

You missed the fun days with the old 10/8hr rules. 4500-5000 miles a week. Coast to coast round trips in under 7 days. :) .

ToofPic likes this.
  8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I noticed that between Ocoee #1 and Ducktown. The river was as high as I've ever seen it; Ocoee #2 was practically foaming and the rocks were barely visible.

9. Marid2apterbilt

It was definitely at full flow wendsday. I'm surprised no crazy kayakers were out there playing..

10. Marid2apterbilt

11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Aren't the I-40 bridges at X7 closed for construction anyway?

12. Marid2apterbilt

Yes .that just a down n back up.
    I assume the slide is east of that.

Pretty much bet every few years there gonna be a slide. Especially with the rain we been getting.

13. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

When I started with Ryder as a apprentice mechanic to pay for school, drivers still had multiple state licenses. We had one guy/customer with a 362 Pete and cummins 400 with a 13spd and a turned up pump that would run triple digits loaded.

K51000 likes this.
  14. Marid2apterbilt

First company I ever worked for governed there trucks at 72mph.
    But if you bought them lunch on occasion there was some variation to that. :)

Speedometer might stop at 85 but the ECM on a 2000 Volvo Dont care.
    It was downhill run in neveda but I've registered 127mph on the ECM before. :). Boss wasn't happy, Bruce the head mechanic chewed me too. Got my truck cut back for a few weeks till the heat died down:)

ToofPic, K51000 and 5axis like this.
  15. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I was out of big rig wrenching before all that electronic stuff. Change the button and a spring or two yourself and let her burn lots of fuel.

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  16. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Tires are the scary part doing high speeds. I blew a few of them doing 70-80, mostly on hot days. I don't know if it ever really happens but I always imagined blowing a front tire at those speeds would be pretty bad.

ToofPic, 418 and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  17. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

I've heard stories of steer wheel blowouts and had one in a simulator. Hope to never experience one for real.

18. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I saw a driver in Al. blow a steer,he went onto his side,through the grass median,and another driver hit his cab right in the top .
    It was horrible ..
    Thats my biggest fear driving.I've done the simulators too,but I know the real deal,and loaded ain't the same.

R1Racer99 and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  19. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I was on the side of the road waiting on a road call in sc I-26 a few years back with those super skinny shoulders , a wasted guy in a pickup tags the roadside corner of my trailer and puts him into a spin and roll over .... driver gets tossed out into the road . Road rash like I’ve never seen, he died a few weeks later . His family tried to bonk my insurance since it was my fault I was on the side of the road , but his blood tests full of heroin and coke told a different story.

Marid2apterbilt and K51000 like this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s crucial you get your triangles immediately deployed, if you stop for even the shortest period of time on a shoulder. That way you’re covered, should someone hit you. You’ll have “mechanical emergency” in your back pocket, as reasoning. Otherwise, you’re considered to be “stopped on the roadway”, which is illegal in all states. Shoulders of highways and ramps, whether an exit ramp or rest area ramp, are all considered roadway and any incident/accident will be your fault. Fourway flashers don’t cover you for anything; triangles do.

YamahaRick likes this.