1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

This can’t be good for a truck. Is that thing covered with fluids that leak out of them when you stand them on end like that? Surely they have to shut the engines off to avoid oil starvation?

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

makes sense they would need to know where their stuff is, but yeah makes no sense after the fact if you're not moving their goods.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There is an acute shortage of qualified drivers. I know, let's make the job even more unpleasant. That should attract better applicants. Hmmmmmm.

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Salary you make must be greater than the bullshit you take.

Pay me and my bs tolerance goes up.

motoracer1100, beac83, 418 and 2 others like this.
  5. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

They don't leak, usually.... Yes engine off, no body inside vehicle.

At Frito lay in Charlotte they used to let drivers clean out the trailer on the lift.
    A driver climbed in one day to clean out potatoes and opertor didn't know. Went to bump it a few times to shake out the last of product and woosh. Driver come sliding down to the conveyor trap. :) .

dtalbott likes this.
  6. Marid2apterbilt

Chatting with boss today. That broker won't be used anymore. Irritated the boss as much as they did me.

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  7. Marid2apterbilt

This I definitely wouldn't trust. Looks like twin 53' grain/corn trailers. Hmm .I'll stand over here about 100' away..

Attached Files:

dtalbott likes this.
  8. Marid2apterbilt

Yeah when you ship something like FedEx or UPS. Do you track that truck.. no. You only see when it arrives at each location it's touched. Schedule a time for a delivery. If the driver doesn't call informing you he is late, assume he will be there. Don't call the driver an hour early asking if he gonna be there on time. Usually he will be turning in the driveway. And if your call gets ignored. Don't call 3 more times using the redial button.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

I just had a buddy go through WalMart orientation. He said it was demanding AF. About 20% of the class failed out.

He'll give me 1st hand real scoop so we'll see how it shakes out. So far he's impressed but I'll report once the honeymoon is over.

ToofPic and dtalbott like this.
  10. dtalbott

I've helped at Walmart with Marten. It's not hard, just long days.

Typically three stops from the DC. You have to make the deliveries. If you make it back to the DC, you're set for the next day.

They expect you to use 90% of your clock each day.

Lots of room for backing in. If you run out of hours, you have a place to park.

You don't unload anything. Store personnel do that. You just stand there and check each pallet off the list.

Lot of backroad driving.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

At the DC I worked at each store had its own trailer which
    would be pulled out when full and then taken to the store
    where the driver would swap the full trailer for the empty
    one they had on the dock and bring it back to the DC.
    A lot of the merchandise is floor-loaded, not palletized.
    That probably isn't the case for grocery deliveries which
    we didn't handle much of.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I had to listen to a 5 minute rant from my wife tonight about truckers and dispatchers. You guys really piss her off. :crackup:

dtalbott likes this.
  13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Check the youtube thread...

[​IMG]

14. Marid2apterbilt

Did you remind her that the 3000 pound minivan she drives is not a formula 1 car... :) .

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Bigbird's is :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  16. Banditracer

Nothing to do with driving. She handles all the incoming and outgoing transportation for a small manufacturing plant, both trucks and trains. Yesterday was especially bad with trucks showing up unannounced and 2 days early expecting to be loaded instantly. Alot of the rant was at the dispatchers yesterday. :crackup:

17. dtalbott

That's because a small majority of truck drivers are inconsiderate assholes.

That's a good thing, because it means those of us who are polite get treated better.

Marid2apterbilt and ducnut like this.
  18. Banditracer

Yeah, she's got some drivers she see's regularly that will bring in a box of donuts or something for the office, some she flirts with. :crackup:

And the ones that can't speak english other than "here to pick up load" and hold out their phone. :rolleyes:

ducnut likes this.
  19. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

That would be my girlfriend's nephew, but on the other hand his Spanish is flawless

ducnut likes this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

At least those drivers who can hardly speak English are working to support themselves and being a productive member of society.