1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory teams shutting down

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here in reverse. She pays WERA bills and our bills every week, why would I do the same thing when she already is? I get an allowance for some cash but other than that the bills are paid, credit cards are paid, if either wants to make a big purchase we discuss it.

RRP likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

With many women making more than their husbands, you better believe it happens.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

With many men having partners rather than marrying someone they consider a lesser being the whole "my wife won't let me" isn't a big deal...

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Fair enough... I confuse easily these days... :confused:

Am I missing anything on those Facebook and Twitter thingies? I assume they have something to do with cosmetics and birds, respectively. :D

5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

For those of us who keep it separate, it's not that we consider our wives lesser beings (if anything, I am the lesser being truth be told). There's just no need to mix our personal finances beyond what is necessary. I don't have to worry about accidentally spending money she worked hard for when I buy something and the opposite is true. Way too many marriages end up strained over finances (not implying yours does, just stating a general fact). If I see a shiny new thing, want said shiny new thing, and know I can comfortably afford it, I don't have to call and make sure she doesn't also have her eye on her own shiny new thing.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but that is not a partnership. Also I'm not the one who keeps acting as if asking your partner is a bad thing or the partner not agreeing with your choice in spending being a bad thing.

7. redtailracing

Sure it is. Partnerships don't mean every single thing has to be run by the other party for clearance. On most things, we do work together. Parenting, house and vehicle decisions, vacations, all are decisions made together. We also do most things together. Where many people have to have their "guy time" or "girl time," we typically don't. Luckily most of our friends are the same way so most stuff we do, we do as a couple - mountain biking seeing shows, etc. But we go to work separately and therefore we earn money separately. So it makes sense to us to manage it separately except where there is a logical need to comanage. Why complicate things when there is no need? We are also able to operate this way because there is a general trust for each other that we will always manage our individual finances appropriately so that each person's portion of bill money is always there and that each person is responsible enough with their savings to be prepared for significant unexpected expenses.

side note: to be fair, I understand for you specifically why it makes more sense to share all finances since all of your joint income is entirely dependent on the same source. But you are in a unique situation. For most, I still don't understand why they overcomplicate finances by trying to comanage them.

Skter505 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Talking to my wife about spending a large amount of money has nothing to do with where our income comes from and has nothing to do with our current setup. I cannot imagine making a large purchase - i.e. something that would take up a large portion or all of my personal stash no matter how our finances were or weren't comingled - without discussing it. And yes, if she brought up valid points why it's a bad move at that time then it'd be referred to as my wife wouldn't let me :crackup:

RRP likes this.
  9. redtailracing

My question would be why? Not saying you're wrong. there's more than one way to skin a cat. I just don't understand the logic. Literally a week ago, I made a purchase that cost close to a month's income for me and my wife found out about when I brought it home. We are far from wealthy and a lot of thought had to go into it beforehand on my part before making the purchase. But I never felt the need to ask her nor did she feel the need to know prior to when she found out. What she needs from me (bill money in the joint account) was present so the rest is irrelevant. So back to my original question, why?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Common courtesy. One of you going into debt may not immediately effect the other but it easily could if something unexpected came up. But overall it's just plain polite to talk to someone you're supposedly a partner with in all aspects of your life before making expensive decisions.

11. redtailracing

It's not debt though. If it was, that does indeed change the circumstances and I would not go into any sort of debt without consulting with her first as it affects the contingency plans we have in place in the event one of us suddenly becomes more or even entirely dependent on the other due to unforeseen circumstances in our careers, health, etc. But we're talking about a cash purchase that, if need be, I can get most of my money back out of.

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This. So very much, this.

NOTE - Sean if you’re going to make sense, you’ll need to leave.:D

CharlieY and R Acree like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry, I'll stop now :D

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Back on topic, I saw an interview with Terry Vance today and he explained basically that HD pulled the plug because of lack of sales

15. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Well unfortunately motorcycle racing just doesn't have the clout. Marc Marquez has 5.3m followers while his fellow Red Bull team mate, the streamer star Ninja has nearly triple at 14.6M. So, if I am a sponsor, I am not going to give a check for 5M measly followers and maybe a mention on race weekend when I can give it to Ninja with his 14.6M and he is online streaming shouting me out every 5 minutes.

Now lets grow the sport and get those followers up! Okay, I'm for it lets get it on the telly, hey NBC what do you got for us? Oh you can air one race, not live and most likely at 3am. Yea that's not going to work, now lets look at the videopass system. I can buy netflix (8$), hulu($6), Youtube Premium($11), and HBO max ($15) for $40 a month and JUST MotoGp is $35 a month. Not to mention all of the videopass systems suck so bad. No wonder MotoGP has the lowest rate of fans who watch (41%) compared to the other motorsports.

I also think these series prioritize things wrongly. It seems as if they feel it is more important to get the social media click first and that will translate into event attendance/sponsorship. It should be the opposite, get them to the race and then they will follow you and pay to watch when they cant go in person. The feeling you get from being at the track cannot be conveyed through social media.

Now I have a question for the beeb, do you think the factories are inflating the costs of motorcycles? It seems to me that 17K is way too much and say if BMW charged closer to 10K sales may improve but I don't know how feasible that may actually be.

Link: https://morningconsult.com/2020/07/17/motogp-nbc-sports-motorsports-polling/

spoon32 likes this.
  16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yup, I feel the same. Sometimes I think I drive my wife nuts when bouncing a big purchase like a bike off her as she always says "If we can still pay the bills, we're fine" but I still run it by her so she knows.

tl1098 likes this.
  17. Same at my house. I give myself an allowance for play money, if not I’d have way too much crap I don’t need.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't think price is the biggest barrier to riding. The younger generations are less willing to take risks than previous ones. I am a boomer and my drivers license was the big ticket to freedom. Any ride was fine (my first couple were lower than beaters) and the anticipation of reaching the magic age of 16 was intense. The same was true for the vast majority of my peers. That may have been less the case for those in cities with mass transit, but for male peeps in the burbs and smaller towns it was monumental.

There are a sizable number of youngsters these days that don't care about the license at all, and others that are more than willing to wait. If their ride doesn't look good on social media, they won't drive, and they tend to be more risk averse. Maybe the complexity of modern vehicles, which make them a challenge to repair, plays a role. They don't want to be seen in a car that looks like crap.

The Social Media generation also doesn't need to go to a common location to keep in touch with their friends. We had no choice. Interactions were face to face or one on one telephone conversations with the potential of a sibling or parent listening in. IMHO, helicopter parents have made them overly sensitive to "danger" as well. They also view carbon fuels as dangerous to their future.

All these factors play a role. I believe that MC and scooter sales will increase when gas prices spike. And then sales will be in smaller displacement and alternative fuels.

cav115, tl1098, ducnut and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelyne used to be into collecting high end vinyl dolls, my response when she talked about a new one was always the same - can we afford it and do you want it.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

We use the $500 dollar mark around here. Unless it cost more tha $500 bucks there no need to discuss it.