1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory teams shutting down

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 12, 2020.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Adrenaline is a good drug. Youth is especially addicted to it once they get a taste of it. The massive sales of motorcycles, mountain bikes, etc during this Covid year could just spawn a new era of enthusiasts. Only time will tell. But, there are still plenty of youth that want a thrill ride so I don't see the elimination of motorsports anytime soon. Just give them places to ride and we'll be OK.

2. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

522D961A-20AE-45FF-8D44-4F8D10DDA505.jpeg Well on that note what do you want for the KTM65?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

People have said the same thing over and over and over again. Yet it always comes back. It's all cyclical.

cav115 and sheepofblue like this.
  4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Speaking of f1.. Honda bailed on that too recently.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

There was a time when the Accord was the number 1 selling car for years in the US and they won a gazillion AMA 600 SS & SBK, SX & MX races and championships.
    Where are the sales for those products today or for the last 5 years?

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

All good but the big thing is do not mistake twitter and the media for reality.

7. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

In my area, I see Jeep people growing somewhat. Motorcycles, not so much, especially sport bikes. What is the problem? I don’t know, but I suspect its the trend downward that Covid just accelerated. And then there is this, that has been part of the downward trend. PS5 retails for 499. On ebay now for almost 2k. This ain’t a Tickle Me Elmo fad either. This is permanent hook in a lot kids asses. And, they won’t ever be motorcyclist.

8. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

It's funny, considering I stopped in my local multi-line dealer last week and the place was damn near bare. Spoke to the sales manager and he told me he was looking at used bikes online just so he has something to put on the floor...Crazy times...

Senna likes this.
  9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Some of you guys are ridiculous. Is this “everything sucks now, the world is shit” view an age thing, or was it always that way?

Almost every one of my buddies and most of the young guys at my job have either a motorcycle, an atv/sxs, or a snowmobile. Most have more than one. I had a Nintendo as a kid, then a Sega Genesis, then a PlayStation, etc, etc. So did all my friends. I have 6 motorcycles, a ‘play’ Jeep and a snowmobile. Video games have zero to do with affecting other pursuits. When does the ‘video games ruin society’ shit end? When all the people who didn’t have them are too busy yelling at clouds to be bothered to rant about it?

turbulence, Booger, Marcos415 and 6 others like this.
  10. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Amen, brother.

11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

12. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Are those new sales?

I can think of a dozen millennial friends who have never bought a new bike, myself included, but have owned / or own multiple bikes.

Buying a new toy is dumb. It’s relatively easy to find one that is pretty lightly used and has already depreciated. Usually you can get good deals on guys who are underwater on their “0% financing / 0% down” loans when the APR shoots through the roof a year later.

13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

An aviation chart would look like that also if you used number of units. If you used dollars it would be a totally different story.

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Those marketing dollars are going overseas.. market is fully saturated here so nothing to gain

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

That is key. Harley's at one time had killer resale because there was not enough of them. Then the saturated the market in the last boom. Cheap Harley's are easy to find. Once the supply is ate up the cycle will repeat.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm interested in seeing how Royal Enfield and their cheap motorcycles are selling in the US. I bet the big 5 are as well.

17. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen a Royal Enfield in the wild. I've seen some on dealer floors but never on the street

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Reported

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

"Indian technology." As if you expect them to actually run well and last.

20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I just now got around to dragging the 50 out of the barn. I pressure washed it and gave the carb a quick cleaning. Took about six kicks to light it off. I think it's been sitting for about 12 years, so not too bad. But yes, that boy needs a bigger bike. I'll make a point to get the 65 out of the trailer, provided we don't get our regularly scheduled hurricane this week. I spent a fortune on the thing to start with. Brand new off the showroom floor, custom built suspension, fancy wheels, etc. It's never seen an mx track, but it's had some road courses under its wheels. Robby Bobby put it together for me. I'm sure it will run, but it's due for a top end. Do you want me to do that or price it as is? I know it's worth nothing near what I have in it.

Inquizid likes this.