1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory teams shutting down

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Bring it to me. I’ll freshen it up. Also bring the 150r and the flat tracker too. Let’s get some stuff sold

2. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Oh dear, there’s a 150r AND a flat tracker?!?

No rush Nigel, it’s the off season. I’m sure we can square up with whatever works best by January. Just hit up my Inbox when you get a chance.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

We used to do a lot of racing, then we discovered that my kid was fast enough to run his way into college.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

The real teller is the Average age of a motorcyclist. I thought the research said it's increasing, meaning not enough younger buyers.

~sent from mobile

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Kinda paid attention at the HS today. 540 entries. Seemed like all the classes were pretty even rider count wise. That would mean there are probably more plus class riders than under thirty. Would be interesting to see the actual numbers.
    That form of racing though is doing very well at the moment though. 540x55$=30k$...

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I think the average age of all motorsports is getting older simply because younger people can't afford to di it.

henry_carlson likes this.
  7. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if its just a local fad or what, but in my area (Huntsville, AL) we have a decent sized group of 22-27 year olds that are into small cruiser bikes. Mostly hipsters that like to ride to get coffee or to the bar for some craft beer. As they grow older they could start to appreciated the finer things in life.

Most of the sportbike crowd is of the rusted chain gixxxxxeeeerrrr variety.

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Was this due to high sales, supply chain issues or both?

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

so thanks boomer?

10. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

The dealers I've talked to say it's supply chain issues. It's not like the floors are bare because units are being bought as fast as they are coming in. Most dealers were sitting on idle motorcycle and ATV stock because everyone of buying UTV's. They were able to dump a lot of units that they were worried they'd never move. The mini bikes see their biggest sales at Christmas, so that will be an interesting situation over the next month in terms of how bad the supply chain issues really are. I have been following that Honda Trail 125 since I first saw the pictures from the Tokyo Motor Show last year. When they announced that it was finally coming to the US as a 2021 model, I called the shop and was told that they were told that if they were lucky, they might see one unit near the end of November.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I don't have a twitter or facebook account. I'm not a big believer in "the media". I don't see where my post is out of touch with reality.

12. redtailracing

This is what I lean towards thinking. Seems increasing cost of medical insurance, education, child care, cost of necessities to professionally succeed (phone, laptop, wifi) as well perceived necessities (cable) has led to less disposable income for younger generations.

ducnut likes this.
  13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Plus more and more men "doing what they are told" when it comes to priorities in splitting up the dollarz.

15. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Some of this. Real estate and education inflation are out pacing income raises, but younger people are still spending money on fun stuff. The entire outdoor segment is HUGE compared to what it was 20 years ago in terms of $$$, and it's mostly millenials and Gen Z'ers.

It’s just hard to justify spending $10-$20k on a toy that depreciates 20% immediately. Why buy new when the used market is full of stuff that's way better than anything any of us can use up talent wise? Like I said earlier, new stuff is sold at predatory-like terms "0% down, 0% interest for 12 months", usually bought by people who really can't afford it. When the interest ramps up to 20% and payments skyrocket, most guys will sell them for what they owe on it.

I'd like to think a lot of the younger generation has learned that lesson from their parents and older peers.. put your money into some the appreciates (education and real estate) and not some toy that depreciates (motorcycles and other "toys").

16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Meant more as an addendum to your comment than a criticism :beer:

17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

What? Are you trying to say more young people are getting married and more of those married men are being told what to do with their money by their wives, and that they are listening?

18. redtailracing

I can confirm from my own observations this appears to be true. I know many men who effectively don't make financial decisions. Wife (or worse, their girlfriend) makes it for them. I seriously can't count the number of guys I know who don't even carry a form of payment on them. Wife gives them either cash or a card if they need to get gas or something that day. Blows my mind.

My wife and I have a joint checking account only for shared expenses - mortgage, utilities, groceries, child care, etc. I budget our monthly expenses to the penny and we both know exactly how much to put in that account every month to keep the bills covered. Outside of that, our money is our own. She doesn't even have visibility to my personal checking account nor do I have it on hers. We do share some credit cards simply for the credit boost but every card belongs to one of us and the other doesn't use it without asking. As long as each of us contribute the required bill money to the joint account, neither of us cares what the other spends money on. Living together 9 years and married for 6 of those, we've never had an issue. Every joint expense that doesn't qualify as coming out of the joint account (for example, going out for dinner) involves a discussion. Usually I pay and don't mind but if I'm perfectly happy eating at home but she really wants to go somewhere, then she pays. Any time I mention this approach to finances to someone, I usually get the most dumbfounded look. Still don't understand why. Seems the most logical to me. The only way I see this not working is if the wife doesn't work.

ducnut and Gino230 like this.
  19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Exactly what my chick and I do, works great for us. I am blown away by the first part of your statement though. I guess I don't hang out with dudes who would be like "my wife wont let me." If something doesn't work or isn't appropriate financially, then that person should know that. Having to be told by your wife "you can't have that, we can't afford it" sounds like absolute hell to me. How the fuck do people live like that??

20. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The further pussification of our society.

jrsamples likes this.