1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory teams shutting down

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 12, 2020.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Did someone say "off-road" as it is less than two months out from the Dakar rally. :clap:

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

WESS, Enduro GP, etc. are the best moto content IMO outside of MotoGP.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

And so goes most of sports telecast on tv here in the USA.

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I can point to two new F1 fans that came directly from the Netflix docu series. I honestly believe GP racing would get more support by making the Faster/Apex and new series like it widely available for non fans. The F1 series showed the guys I know WHY F1 is what it is and made them care.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My brother got back into F1 (he used to to share my interest as a kid, to a lesser level) after watching the Netflix series.

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Dave has a serious problem. We should all get together and stage a virtual intervention.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It was a great case study of taking a sport from basically nothing to a minor force in live sports on a major network.

Could have been another sport but no one else has done it lately. Most are losing viewers and sponsors.

8. nigel smith

Where do you keep your horse and buggy? Privately owned vehicles are already dead. No one noticed them die, and they will stumble around for a bit, but they are gone. In fifty years, you will find them in the hands of rich hobbyists or out in the middle of nowhere. In one hundred years, you will only see them in museums and living history type events. I'd make a friendly wager, but I'm not sure how either of us might collect.

9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

It would be a lot easier to just pretend that there is no problem. We can talk about the bitchin new weave that we got to the basket on the end of our sticks.

10. nigel smith

We could do that, but when Dave inevitably meets with a bad end, we'll all feel a bit guilty.

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Doubtful. We had 3 world champions in the previous decade and I'm not sure anyone outside of the enthusiasts who were already paying attention even noticed.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Agreed about supercross, I went to a race in Atlanta a couple years ago and had fun but it wasn't great, and the race was over really quick I didn't leave wanting to go again, as for motocross tracks there is a few things going on there.
    1. Is every track tried to have it be a pro level track with huge triples and people got hurt a lot... Which leads to
    Number 2. Which is most tracks run without medical and barely have insurance so they get sued and lose very quickly

13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I think the UFC was the first sport back running after the pandemic started. They are a serious case study in what can be done. They went from being banned in most places to being a household name.

I'm sure some old guys were once appalled that kids weren't into croquet anymore. Stuff changes. Sometimes there's not much you can do about it.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

I for sure was also brought back to F1 because of the series, and each year I try to get into it, and then by the early summer the season is wrapped up.

The excitement for watching the 10th place finisher goes away fairly quickly

Senna likes this.
  15. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Just weekend morning background noise, beautiful landscapes and slo mo cams.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Depends on what you mean by "vehicle", but there will be privately owned transportation as long as there are places to go. There has been private transportation since there has been transportation, so don't see that going away. Guessing 50-100 years out on transportation is a little tough with the increasing pace of change. We could be teleporting from place to place by then.

If you are predicting that based on economic or eco collapse, that is a whole different thing. There are always doomsday predictions. You could just as well say there won't be any eating or breathing in 50-100 years.

The original thread was based around competition (particularly risky competition), and I don't see that going away in one form or another anytime soon. Still a healthy horse racing scene!

17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

The gilded age of motorsports in particular and bread and circuses megasport is over and won't be coming back. It's happening in national series first but won't stop there. MotoGP is propped up by energy drinks, that will eventually end and not be replaced as well. I highly expect the stick and ball sports whose heads disappeared up their own asses years ago to suffer the same fate. Motorsport will still exist but with a lot fewer big rigs.

18. nigel smith

Fleets of robot controlled Ubers, at your beck and call. The privately owned vehicle will become a toy, and then a museum piece.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'm sure I'll be taking delivery of my flying car any day now. We have been hearing that shit is just around the corner since I was kid. I got news for them personal transportation will be around until I die. I have no intention of giving mine up for societies sake.

20. nigel smith

The writing is on the wall this time. When the last of us dies, it's over. Brave New World and whatnot.