1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone own a "chopper" (HD)

Discussion in 'General' started by Mblashfield, Nov 16, 2007.

1. areceefittywon

areceefittywon Well-Known Member

S&S makes Evo engines all the way up to the 124" Super sidewinder motor. The engine in the bike in the picture is an Evo too and if it's an S&S it's probably a Super Sidewinder powerplant. Good engine and very reliable but they have tendancy to to chew up Starter ring gears. More important to me than the engine is what is the rest of the drivetrain? What type of primary and transmission? Those 2 items can cost nearly as much as the motor and some builders will cut corners there. BTW, the Evo engine also is nothing like the Knuckle either. Similar valve actuation but really, that's it. Evo and TC are alloy engines with a life expectancy 5X that of a similar Knuckle-Pan-shovel head engine. 200-300K miles isn't unusual as long as the motors are maintained properly.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

S&S does make a great engine....I could swear I see a RevTech on that red bike, much cheaper engine.

The 96" S&S is an Evo, not TC....Its an "Older Style" evo, and probably a stroker motor. Technology has come a ways since this configuration, allowing for bigger motors (like the 124) that still remain "Square", or close to square, which mean bore and stroke are fairly close......I'd bet the 96 is like 3" bore. 4" stroke.....more torque, but less durable than a square motor......96's are going pretty cheap.

I run an ultima 113" in my Fxr.

Knuck was the first OHV HD.....its come a long way.

The brakes are 10X better than the 1960's manual drums....no doubt.....even better than 1st gen disk brakes.

Its a right side drive, which is opposite of traditional, but common with the 300 series tire......6 speed?

Hey man.....ride what you want....no one else has to approve it, or even like it.....except you.

Dont kid yourself, you will find yourself going 100+ on that thing in a heartbeat.....especially if its a 6-spd. Stopping should be OK as well, even with the single disk.

SSRT.....Nice looking scoot, very traditional looking....I like the pipes....what motor are you running?

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm with you on this one I love Bobbers. My choice would be Brass Balls Bobbers. They are the real deal. Those are some wicked bikes.

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

That is why I said "then you get to the monsters"

And I know the REAL differences in the Knuckle, pan, Shovel, evo, and twincam motors.... but for ease of discussion, for those who dont know...... it is VERY similar technology wise.

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Enlighten me on what technological advances were made to allow the bore and stroke to be brought to close to square? They changed the power output, but no technology increase IMO
    They really arent much better than first gen disks. Most of them are still pretty basic single... MAYBE dual piston sometimes, Big pad, disk brakes.
    Everyone has their own feeligns. I agree.

Give me a nice old school bobber for $10g, over a $50g yuppie special any day.

6. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I seen this one at bike week in Myrtle Beach and it really stood out to me over the others there. It was pretty bad a$$, long, low & quite a bit of carbon.

http://www.vipermotorcycle.com/mamba.php

7. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

This is what I got yesterday. Ive only got about an hour on it. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined what it feels like to "drive" one of these. 60mph feels like 150mph. Everything is heavy, the lever pulls, the throttle, the brakes. Absolutely nothing like a Japanese sport bike. No refinement, nothing is smooth and its loud as fuck, but it sounds very badass. Your body position is opposite that of a sport bike, you sit in it with legs way forward. Its the worst turning bike ive ever ridden, but after riding it for only an hour I can understand the desire by so many to have one of these. You feel like King Shit on it. It Idles at what seems like 200 rpm, just slingin those long rods and huge pistons, like an old thrashing machine that only hits on every other stroke. I rode around my neighborhood in 4th gear everywhere at 20 mph, no problem at all. Let me get some more time on it and ill report, I know a bunch of you admire these from the closet like I did, Ill let you know to come out or stay in on this particular model. Id call this a machine before Id call it a motorcycle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mblashfield

9. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Because it IS an old machine....... a John Deer to be exact :lol

But nice bike man. Seriously. Not my style but it looks nice.

And as to the steering, handling, braking, and ride......... I told ya so :p

10. Mblashfield

Your is more of a chopper than mine. How does your steer?

11. Mblashfield

You hit the nail on the head!!!!!!

12. Mblashfield

I like it because its a big cool looking motor floating in this skinny little chassis with wheels on each end. The short pipes help keep the motor centralized visually.

13. Mblashfield

Im not going to touch this thing, but, one thing that HAS to go is the big fat STEEL grips????

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

No doubt. They look cool as shit. i just didnt want you to go in with high expectations to there abilities :crackup:

I like the mechanical appeal to it, everthing out in the open. That is the reason I REALLY like bare bones bobbers. Just a motor, frame and two wheels.

15. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Here is my old beast early in its life (the bike, not the wife :crackup: )....... It is gone now though. I sold it.
    [​IMG]

16. Mblashfield

Damn man! that things all motor! The bike is cool too.

17. Mblashfield

18. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Mbm....Nice bike!enjoy it! ....I like the blue....what motor is in it? Stroker motors dont like being "Lugged" (20 in 4th), especially during breakin....very nice scoot sir!

Hey MJ23, Noce looking hardtail (both of them). Shovel, right?

The cases and alot are different on those "big motors"....still bolt into the evo mounts, but they accept larger Jugs (bore), and taller Jugs (Stroke). The flywheels are not stock either. Cases are substantially beef-ier, and tolerances are tighter. some may even be forged vice cast....there is some very good stuff out there.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

short forks, thats my style. except mine was a riceburner.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

20. KTFO

KTFO Banned

i had a new 05 big dog chopper. biggest pile of crap i ever owned. if youre rich and love to throw away money then by all means buy one. if you like to ride and not work/clean your bike for days then stay away.