1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone own a "chopper" (HD)

Discussion in 'General' started by Mblashfield, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Are they "all that"? They look and sound fantastic.

2. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

I'd sell my soul for this bike!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

yes, for sure....

but thats offtopic... he's asking about oil-leaking, overpriced, underperforming, under-stearing... teath knocking... HDs :D

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I thought he was talking high definition.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

6. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

That Knucklehead is a Chopper....actually more of a bobber.....and it is SSSwwweeeettttt!!

the blue bike is a POS "factory custom"...not even close to a chopper...its harley trying to capitalize on the dying craze of all the tall flashy crap that is out there.

I'm actually more of a Bobber fan....short, tight, stripped down, rock and roll.

I ride an HD FXR, 1991, first bike Erik Buell designed for harley. Big twin 125 HP Evo, rubber mount, put a mid glide on it....runs like a batt-outta-hell, and rides nice....weights about 550.

The new stuff I'm not into......but I've got 200,000 miles on my HD.....but right now, NOBODY has anything new I want.

But hey, ride what you want.....thats what its all about. ALOT of people like those new style choppers.....I'm just not into all the "Look at Me" flash.

7. Mblashfield

what do you have to know about riding one? Cornering? The rear tires are so big and flat, they must steer very hard.

8. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Are you talking a true chopper, or one of the OCC, WCC, big dog, big tire big money prefabbed BS choppers?

I HAD a 66 shovelhead hardtail bobber for awhile. Looked ALOT like the Knuckhead up there actually, but a bit shinier and not a springer front end... mine had a wide glide front end.

9. Mblashfield

10. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Some of the ones like that one (low and long) are VERY quick actually. I recently rode a Big Dog that wold carry the front wheel a couple inches off the ground thru the first two gears.

but they dont do anything phenominally. The dont stop, they dont steer, the dont handle, and the ride arent that great.

11. Mblashfield

Im not a "biker" kind of person but I do love the total access and simplicity of this bike. It sounds just wonderful. If I get one it wont be for performance. I dont see it steering for shit, it does come with Brembo brakes though.

12. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I am of the mindset that if I want to buy 1960's technology, I will buy a 1960s bike. Not a "new" bike at 2007 prices with 1960 technology.

You wouldnt pay 2007 prices for a mustang that looks like todays, but has the 60s motor, suspension and brakes. Why do it with a bike

But that is just me :D

13. Mblashfield

I dont know enough about the history of these bikes to appreciate any aspect of them. I do know I love the sound of them thumping around town in traffic. Im too impatient to have one built or build one myself. I dont want to spend $50-70-100K on one either. I dont mind todays technology either. I think this design I like is 2007-8 anyway. The thought of not being tempted to go 100+ mph is a big factor as well. I dont think these are cheap reproductions of the originals either, I think they are progress. The heart and soul of the bike, the V-twin, is still there. What on this bike is 1960's technology? Or did I misunderstand you?

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

The pushrod motor is basically unchanged if it is a normal "evo" type motor. If it is a twincam, it is slightly better, but not by much. Really The evo motor is "basically" the same as that old nuckle up there. The rockers are a bit better, ad well as the materials and workmanship, but technology wise still similar.

The braking systems are fairly unchanged as well. And the forks are just basic forks. No technology to them. It looked like it was a "soft tail" model, so the rear suspension is a bit more plush than the old style, but still not big on technology.

If it is an FI model that is the only big improvememnt to them, if not even that is relatively unchanged from the 60s. Still a basic acclerator pump style butterfly carb.

Dont get me wrong. They are nice bike still, but not worth the $$$ IMO. I am FAR from a HD hater as most sportbike guys are.

15. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

FWIW It appears to be a Twin cam model..... but cant tell if it is FI.

16. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I change that. It is NOT a twin cam I dont think, unless they now make them in twin cam aftermarket with a normal EVO looking cam cover

17. Mblashfield

The one Im looking at has an S&S 96 inch, 6 speed with a carb. Its under 600lbs so its not a total yacht.

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

LOL. Yeah, a 96in S&S is going to more than likely be a Twin cam motor, they are typically 88in or 96in in standard sizes. then you get to the monsters

19. Mblashfield

Thanks for your time!!!

20. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

My Chop, HD Motor does that count ?

[​IMG]