1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Pirellis Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Odilup, Mar 24, 2018.

1. :stupid:

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hey I'm retired so I wasn't sure. But after some thought I think the Rome office uses Etowah Employment agency to set everything up in the beginning. So try calling 1 800 Pirelli and follow the prompts to get to consumer affairs and ask them what is the correct procedure.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

[​IMG]

What say the beeb?

4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

It looks like a suet cake . That shit is for the birds :Puke::D

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's good but I prefer goetta.

6. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I'm going to try out those higher tire pressures this weekend at Fontana. I can never get a good feel on the front but my pressures were always 31-33. Great wear but never felt "planted". I guess I was looking at an old guide as well.

7. They probably felt squishy.

I think we run 36-37psi in mine.

8. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Assuming you're talking about the CCS round there let me know if you want to follow someone around or have a group to pit with. I'm a front pack amateur and have a good group of guys I pit with that are varying speeds and we're always down to help people out.

Edit: after reading the rest of thread the offer still stands, provided you lighten up a bit

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  9. badmoon692008

Would also suggest this... Jason holds the track records for many of the midwest tracks and knows his stuff... He definitely has a personality, but if you want to go fast on Pirelli's especially in the Midwest, he's the guy to talk to.

10. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Thanks for the offer man, I've actually got a group of friends I'm coming up with. We are planning to do the STT track days and then the CCS round. So we'll be onsite for four days. The plan right now is to stay at Blue Harbor Resort so my four year old can have some fun too along with my other friends wife's.

Really wasn't trying to cause all this mess, I was just looking for some tire info.

What's typical lap times for a front pack amateur at Road America? I've only been there once and it was on 4 day old SC2 pirelli slicks but I know my laptimes. Kinda curious where I should stack up against the class. Thanks! I'll message you when we get closer to the event, maybe stop by your pit and say hey.

Edit- Not sure on exactly what classes I can run but looking at results of last years GTU am, Middleweight supersport am, middle weight superbike am, and ASRA superstock it looks like it rained.

I have a Superstock prepped 2011 GSXR 600, so whatever classes I can run that in.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  11. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

The better question is what's the lap record at Road America?

12. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

probably about 30 seconds faster than I am. :(

13. badmoon692008

It was on and off wet all weekend... Sunday it was dry for practice, started to rain, then started to dry up, I went out on DOT's on a damp track and crashed out of the lead of my race after hitting the paint line coming out of 13. Then it dumped rain again, and by the end of the day the sun came out and it was beautiful.

Tippy top amateur times are in the low 2:30's. If you can get close to a 2:40 you'll likely be able to get close to the podium in a couple classes depending on what you run.

Assuming you're eligible for Supersport races (which with a "superstock build" you likely are (and assuming you've had your CCS license for less than a year)) there's like 14 races you can run... lol In order from most likely to be competetive to least:
    Rookies Cup GTU
    MWSS
    MWSB
    MWGP
    GTU (this is a timed race instead of laps, so you get 25 mins. At smaller tracks this roughly doubles your laps but at RA it's not quite as big of a difference.)
    HWSS
    HWSB
    ASRA Sportbike
    GTO (timed again)
    ULSS
    ASRA Superstock
    ULGP
    ULSB

I'm on a 750 and will be running HWSS, HWSB, ULSS, ULGP, and GTO, and possibly ASRA superstock.

14. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Thanks man you’re awesome. I was high 30s my first time there on 4 day old Pirelli SC2 slicks. I’m going to bring two sets of DOTs with plans to do the track days on one set and then the racing on the other. Hopefully I’ll do ok.

Yea I did my school within the last year. Thank you for ranking them! That helps a lot! I’ll probably do the practices plus 3 races each day. How many do people typically sign up for each day?

I probably should be PMing you this instead of posting in this thread. Thanks again.

15. badmoon692008

I think the average is 3-4 per weekend for most people. One of the guys I pit with picked up a RC390 and has an 899 and is planning on doing 10 per weekend. Last year I did 3, this year I'm upping it to at least 5 as I'm planning on chasing a couple championships and shooting for top 5 overall.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Sorry for taking so long to answer, but I needed a picture to help explain. Pogo stick is a new suspension term to me but that sensation you describe is rear shock and maybe riding style a bit. You should start looking at the shock and also where the chassis is. Most bikes have a sweet spot in wheelbase length and how it correlates to shock settings and drive out of corners. Swing arm angle can change when you do drastic gearing changes or by changing the swing arm pivot setting (if possible on your bike). So it's a fine line between the bike's power pushing down (squat) and driving the bike forward or lifting the tire (so to speak) off of the pavement.

upload_2018-4-17_18-10-26.png

And then there is tire squat fold over like this. As we can see this tire is getting a big G load and folding over and getting the shit beat out of it. Part of it is to be expected but I would bet the air pressure here is too low. I hear all the time that riders will say if Brand X rears use 19 to 21 hot off the warmers and that should work for Pirellis. But it doesn't and under inflation actually causes the tire contact patch to decrease. So run what your tire guy tells you and check your gauge at least 3 times a year.

Pirelli has a patented design in both front and rear radial tires that features a very special steel belt tread ply. The advantages of this patented design is almost zero tire grow even at 240 mph, a light weight carcass, and a tire that heats quickly. It also has something that in WSBK that they call "pump". This term describes a tire that is being g loaded and released ever so slightly as the suspension moves. So once you know and understand why it happens it's not a big deal.

Hope this helps
    Jeff

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

I decided if J7O was trying P's this year, so was I!

PayPal money was sent to Farrell Performance over 2 weeks ago and no tires or response since then, anyone know what's up??

Maybe cancel the PP $ and stick with Michelin?? How long do I wait, wanted to have them mounted and ready for RA next week...

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Try calling?

19. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Did indeed

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Weird.. I don't know Jason but he has a good reputation so I'd think it's a miss understanding.
    Id recommend getting tired from mdm, or Their website tracksidetires