1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Pirellis Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Odilup, Mar 24, 2018.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Cant speak for the DOTs but I always ran a sc2 front and sc1 rear. I was always told that the front either sc1 or sc2 was a personal preference thing. For me the sc2 at a lower psi felt better. I too would run the front for 4 days of sprints and practice but I don't know if it every really felt bad I just would get it in my head that it's getting old. As for the rear, 4 sprints on a new tire and then it gets used for practice and a new tire goes to racing. Lastly I think $415 is about standard, I've never paid under $400 that I remember unless it was from a friend or something.

ekraft84 likes this.
  2. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

I contacted the other tire guy and they said $415 also. Maybe I’m losing it or got some sort on on-site track day hookup. I’ll put a order in for some tires in the next week or so with MOM. I think I kinda owe him the business since I non-purposely called out his pricing. Kinda feel like a dick now. :/

3. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

What’s this $400 about? I’ve been absent for a bit. Thanks for taking up for me, that doesn’t seem to happen ever on this forum.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

In another thread @notbostrom was saying that he would die to go get trained by somebody like Ken Hill, as it would probably take 10 years off his learning curve...or something to that effect.

So then I pointed out @khill probably has at least 50 training days a year available, all he has to do is sign up for one.

Then he came up with the lamest excuse, it was on the wrong coast. I think he is afraid of planes or possibly working smarter to get faster? :Poke: I know he has flown in a plane before, I met him in California :D

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

So generally you have these options going from the best and fastest race product to track day tires
    Diablo Superbike slicks (you pick compounds with help from the track service guy or previous experience) These are the fastest tires and in a wide range of sizes from Moto 3 to WSBK
    Diablo Supercorsa V2 DOT race tires (you pick compounds with help from the track service guy or previous experience)
    These are available for everything from a 300 to a 1299
    Diablo Superocrsa V1 DOT race tires
    These were the race tires from 6 years (I.e. Version 1 compared to Version 2) or so ago and come in only a 120 SC1 or SC2 front and 180/55 or 190/55 in the SC2 only. They are priced less than the V2s but they are not old product that was sitting on the shelf but an option for a trackday rider or entry level race guy. We wanted riders to have race options

Diablo Supercorsa V2 DOT SP tires
    These are available for everything from a 600 to a 1299 and the rears are bi-compound. They are a great option for trackdays
    Diablo Rosso Corsa DOT tires
    These are available for everything from a 600 to a 1299 and the rears are bi-compound. They are also a great option for trackdays but slower than the SPs but last a long time.
    Diablo Rosso II or Rosso III DOT tires
    These are available for everything from a 300 to a 1299 and the rears are bi-compound. The new Rosso IIIs feature a mutli compound front and updated rear but they may not be available yet. And don't discount them as not good because in many countries/series the small bore bikes like the KTM390 or CBR500, etc.

That how it works
    Jeff

bored&stroked and DaddyPhatSaks like this.
  6. There’s a secret handshake. Your Visa and the vendors card machine.

mike-guy, Boman Forklift and TLR67 like this.
  7. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

Cash is king:D

8. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

My wife would probably prefer that my debit card required a secret handshake to work.

9. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Just tell her about how bulk orders get discounts!

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Sounds like my wife telling me how much money she saved us while out shopping. She starts talking about this coupon and that 20% off on top of the other 30% off, etc., etc.

11. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Bock got me squared away. Was good to double check my compound choice against his recommendation.

Still easier on RTS as I played a bit of phone tag. [​IMG]

12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

My wife does the same thing with her online purchasing. It's amazing how she can wear the fashionable and current outfits she does but she has never paid full price for anything. :rolleyes:

13. Boman Forklift

Sounds like you are just a Hugh Dunlop lover!!!!

My first experience in trying to buy tires from brubaker, to help sponsor a rider, didn't go as smoothly as yours.

Hopefully you like the tires.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I want to hear the convo about "Hey honey I just spent $46,000 on a mini black dress and shoes but didn't have any cash to tip the valets so I gave them our AMEX black which they are using to get 7 local motorcycle racers on the MA grid! :D

15. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

They all work faster than I do. I love the Dunlop front but the Pirelli rear is sublime. Just have to get used to the foldover squat. I am running SC2 front for the stability and am happy with it.

Boman Forklift and ekraft84 like this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Not sure if things changed with the new tires, but I remember Cory from CT Racing telling Tyler, once you feel the squirm or squat, you can hammer it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

It's common for a rider to think I'll go faster on the softer tire but's it not the case with Pirelli in every instance. The grip and performance of the SBK front SC1 and SC2 are very similar. The big difference is that the SC2 has a firmer feel because of the stiffness of the compound. And we know a SC2 front are as fast or faster than a SC1 because the guy in leathers to the left uses a SC2 probably 70% of the time and has for years.

Then we introduced a SC3 front a few years ago and guess what? It has more durability than the SC2 front BUT it doesn't really have a harder feel. Again this is because of the properties of said compound. So you have to have an open mind and not make assumptions based on what you think should happen, you need to try each and come to a conclusion based facts.

Most of the fast guys are going to run a Pirelli front from about 36 up to maybe 39 hot. If you are feeling fold over squat and your running at a Cory West or Stefano Mesa pace then you may have the psi too low or the gauge is off. If you aren't running this pace I would check the gauge, check the psi, and check the front end because you may be hitting the bump stop.

Happy Easter to all
    [​IMG]

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

So for a midpack guy you recommend SC2 front and SC1 rear in the DOT Pirellis?

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Jeff will provide a fancier answer based on track, conditions, pressures, barometric pressure, etc. - but yes.

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

:crackup::crackup::Putter: