1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

:D

Thats fine. It was a fun/cheap project and functions 100%. Used the same POS fluxcore to do it I used on my AKs. A couple of guys went bonkers and screwed them together successfully. There was also talk about silver soldering or brazing it together.

2. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I went with the 11:25 twist... here's the upper build.

Aero Precision slick side, flat top upper receiver, AR15 Performance (ARP) 16" Scout barrel with mid length gas system (melonite treated), ARP "Shorty" muzzle brake, Midwest Industries, MI G2 SS, super slim 15" handguard, Nickle Boron complete Bolt Carrier group, Troy industries low pro gas block

I paid $9.99 a box for this stuff just yesterday. http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/13720/

I'll use it for sighting the optic in, and range time, but I won't hunt with anything under 115, and I've always been a Hornady fan.

Thanks for the optic info. I've been told by others that a 2x7 is the best for the type of work this set up will do. Now it's time to hit the interwebs and find a deal on one.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I have a pretty inexpensive Burris Full field on mine, I've been happy with it.

4. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

That looks like a fun build to do. How much does it weigh when done?

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Empty steel lower is just short of 2lbs

6. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Regarding weight and scope, this is my reg scoped or "hunting AR" that uses a 2x8 Nikon M223, LW upper(no forward assist or dust cover), Daniel Defense 16" .625 LW pencil barrel, etc and its 7lbs 5oz as is(sling, optic, 45* BUIS, empty mag).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. Scotty87

Nice rig, but way to save that ounce on the FW assist and dust cover. Lol just messing with you.

Seriously, nice piece.

8. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Thanks. And it was 2 oz(1/8th lb. which sounds better) saved lol.

9. Ninja

Ninja Active Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Britt likes this.
  10. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Here's my 6.5 Grendel build so far. I've added an Ergo deluxe tactical grip and will swap out the cheap optic and mount with and aadmount 20moa and most likely a vortex viper pst 4-24x 50 FFP scope, perhaps a night force.

She's heavy! The barrel itself is about 7.5lbs

Attached Files:

11. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

Off the shelf... Bravo Company, Colt, Daniel Defense, Noveske. (sure I'm forgetting some). You can buy complete factory lowers and uppers separate too and sometimes save money.
    Big money... some Noveske set ups, WarSport. (There are others)

Build your own and you'll learn your weapon system inside and out.

PERSONALLY, I don't spend my money on any of the M&P's, Rock Rivers, Spikes, etc anymore. Yes, I have owned one or more on this list in the past. We all gotta start somewhere. I just wish I knew what I know now. I'd have gotten a DD or Bravo right out of the gate for a starter AR.

My opinion (and many others in the shooting sports industry) is that some of the stuff is "Mall Ninja" equipment. Then there is good equipment. Kinda buy once cry once thing here. Not knocking what you may have just saying, I've spent lots of time, money, resources, and research on this "hobby" too. I'm just trying to give the OP some more data to chew on.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Nice piece!
    Here's 15.25lbs of .308 goodness and rounds 11-15 of the break-in on a 4" circle @100yds...in a strong crosswind. :D
    Typically with this platform, IMG_0945.JPG rounds strike higher and to the right for each subsequent shot during break-in. I haven't finished the break-in but she's lookin' like she'll be another tack driver.
    IMG_1027.JPG

13. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Nice! Did you assemble that one? That looks to be a piston system. It's that a DPMS pattern or Armalite pattern? I'd like to do another one but in the large frame .308. I keep reading about compatibility issues with different parts with them though.

14. fastfreddie

Full-on Armalite SASS from the leapin' lion's mouth. Not a piston gun, that's an adjustable gasblock.

I haven't found any issue with direct impingement on my Colt AR15. The round count is somewhere in the five digit range and, trust me, when I clean it, it's just running a swab down the barrel. Every once in a while(few hundred to a thousand rounds or so) I'll break it down for a proper cleaning. Those vids showing how some guy lights a match on the BCG after emptying so many rounds and claiming how clean the gun runs is BS as far as I'm concerned. If someone needs to be pullin' out their BCG in the heat of the moment, they might consider gettin' a better firearm. Not knockin' the 416 but gas pistons are not a selling point in my book. Tho' I do own a P7, it's not because of its gas piston. And guess where all that dirty, filthy, grimy powder residue goes in a piston gun? Yup, jams up that mechanism pretty damn well if you're not religious about polishing your weapon. ;)

There are definitely two schools with AR 308s. It's not much different than the schools for AR15s concerning pin sizes. Just gotta do a little homework.

And just so I can be a dick, AR10s are Armalites. Only Armalite makes AR10s. Anything else in 308 on an AR platform is an AR 308, or whatever the fuck else they want to call it. :D

Scotty87 likes this.
  15. Scotty87

^All of that shit. All of it.

16. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Meanwhile, back at the lab...
    [​IMG]

17. fastfreddie

That thing looks light enough to be floating.
    Home duty?

18. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Well, not really. It would need a red dot and light for that. Just a fun gun :) I have another almost exact upper, but with an 11.5" light weight barrel(pic above is 10.5"). It has a red dot and bayonet-lug mini rail-mount for a light, so it'd be better for HD. Plus, have another complete 10.5" with the same.

19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

300 blk out with thermal. I need a more tacticool suppressor but this one does fine for now

[​IMG]

20. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I'm curious, what do you have against Rock River? I'm not claiming that they're high end, but I was under the impression that they made pretty high quality stuff (at least some of their more specialty models, like the predator and varmint hunting models). Am I misinformed?