1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

OK, I clearly realize the end of the world is approaching along with the inevitable zombie apocalypse (learned this from the beeb). As such, I am looking for a good AR 15 type rifle. Hey, got be be ready.:) I've looked at the S&W M&P 15. Any other thoughts? Honestly, I have a decent collection of guns just looking for something fun to shoot in the NATO caliber which conveniently shoots the .223 Remington. Thanks

2. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Love my Colt, LE6920. Came off the same assembly line as the military rifles.

The M&P is a good choice too.

3. Fastjedi350

Fastjedi350 Well-Known Member

Good choice. Go with a M4 style flat top with a 16" heavy barrel, with flip up sights. Use any optics you want but make sure you go with a piston kit and hydro buffer. Much more reliable and less fowling.

4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

S&W is good for something that's easy to find, set up well from the factory, etc.

if you want something that's maybe a little nicer, but still reasonable for the price, see if you can find a daniel defense or Bravo Company (BCM) rifle. piston is not a must have (IMHO), if you want that, check out the Ruger SR556, good piston gun for the money.

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Gas piston upper is a nice to have, not a need to have. It's the latest rage and yes, it keeps the chamber much cleaner, but it adds a lot of cost. The average dude isn't going to be putting a thousand rounds through their rifle in the mother of all battles, knee deep in brass and grenade pins, low crawling through blood, guts, sand, and mudd.

6. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

I have the M&P 15-22. I'm not so sure it compares at all to the actual M&P 15, as it seems quite toy-like. Nice, but toy-like. I have the Bushmaster M4 and absolutely love it!!

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Build your own. Of course the build involves one pin.

Bushmaster lower, Samson Arms upper.

[​IMG]

skee likes this.
  8. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

None of the above.
    I'll hang on to my PSL in 54r thank you.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  9. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

Whats a good site for parts to build your own? Hows it work out price wise vs off the rack?

Thanks

Also, is a bull barrel really going to help much on a 16 incher? 1.6 lb difference in these two.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5632&cat=1891

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1067&cat=1891

My BIL has the Ruger mentioned above but went nuts on rails/flashlights/bipod/optics/pistol grip. I swear the thing is 12 lbs and takes a week to swing onto target. I'm thinking lightweight and great to 200 yards max are my build goals.

10. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

I have the same. Feed it the shittiest steel ammo you can find and it always goes bang while my friends' Frankenstein rifles jam after jam.

Did you see that they are no longer in production? :D

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

12. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Had a DPMS, meh.

My Stag and CMMG rifles are the cats ass. Love both of them and they perform very well. Piston guns are nice but not a necessity. The SW rifle is nice but it's pretty front heavey.

Go to CMMG's site and build what you want. They have fantastic rifles, customer service is top notch and the prices are very good as well.

My new CMMG lower is stamped multi cal. This is a good thing if you ever want to build an SBR or anything else NFA. It will allow you to change out the uppers without getting in trouble. It's currently under my .22 LR upper but I have an SBR build in the works. With that stamped lower I can still swap uppers around without commiting a felony.

This is my next build... .300 AAC Blackout 8.5 inch barrel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  13. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

If you buy a complete rifle, consider a Spike's Tactical midlength. Good stuff, alot of rifle for the money.

14. grantcarruthers

15. grantcarruthers

16. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I did not know that, that is good news... for us anyway. Not for those that haven't bought one yet.:moon:

17. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Rock River with a two stage trigger.

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Sounds like this is just for casual use. In that case, no need for a piston rifle. Unless you are going to SBR it, add a can, and then fight your way across Iran.

300BLK is cool and all, but again, in this scenario I just don't see the need for it. Thought it is certainly a cool option and since converting your rifle to fire it is so easy, why not. At the end of the day, any tier 1 type AR chambered in .223/5.56 will do just fine. Not really worth complicating it any further until after you get something and run a few carbine courses.

19. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

Oh ya! Prices haven't quite 'skyrocketed' or anything yet. I should probably lock mine away but I don't think I can do it. I'll just keep taking care of it and leave it stock.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It is a cool round, but like somebody said on one of the links posted above, until LE or the military adopts it, it will never fully take off and IF there were every a crisis, ammo would be harder to find. I'll stick to my 5.56 and 22lr for now, although I'd love to have a suppressor:up: