1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

So, I picked up my matched lower last week and I'm starting to look at barrels and bcgs.

Talk me into or out of going to a long range precision 6.5 Grendel build. :D I'm thinking about going for an 800-1000 meter capable build now after researching the 6.5 Grendel. If I do go that route, I will be a barrel and bolt away from going back to .223/5.56 if I ever want to swap back. Granted the 6.5 is a little more pricey but it also gets out to 1000+ at supersonic speeds.

2. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

K gun peeps tell me this; How far will a .223 round travel with enough velocity to penetrate an exterior house wall?

My folks live out in the country about a mile from a gun range. Their neighbor's house equidistant from the gun range took a round the other day. .223, came through an exterior wall, hit and dented a metal desk, plopped in the waste basket.

There was one guy shooting .223 at the range that day. He says none got away from him and a round wouldn't travel that far anyway.

There are houses between the gun range and my folks, they all claim to not even have such a weapon.

Just curious what the Beeb say...

3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

At 1500 meters, there wouldn't be much velocity or kinetic energy left with a .223 round. Not only that, but it would have had to go through the roof, not a wall due to the fact that ballistic data has a .223 dropping 690"+ at 1000 meters. To get to 1500 meters, a shooter from the range would've had to been firing way up in the air.

4. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

OK. She said(folks' neighbor) that the guy did admit to clearing his gun and letting a round fly skyward. But it came through a wall.

The only reason I know about it is because she works at my insurance agency and I was in there Friday.

5. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

A little 1000fps .22lr will easily go thru a sheetrock wall..or two.

I've seen a 357 mag go thru basically an entire house, from one end to the other. After it blew off the end of my then sister inlaws finger. Bedroom..bathroom and under-sink cabinet..thru the dining room..and into and across the kitchen, and bouncing off the far kitchen cabinet and landing on the floor. One more wall and it would've made it to the garage.

6. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I watched a few videos of guys testing various calibers through several layers of drywall. The only thing that didn't over penetrate ridiculously was birdshot. But that's obviously counter-productive in a home defense scenario.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Depends on the round and velocity, I don't have any problem hitting the target at 1K with my .223, 11.1 mils in elevation at 1K. If the wind is blowing then I always have problems, wind blows the 77smk a bit more than the 6.5CM. :)

8. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

English please, I'm not a scientist.

What I'm able to decipher, terrain matters. Range is on top of a hill, she has a walk out basement, it came through the basement wall. Off the top of my head an average height shooter holding a gun with the barrel level the barrel would be at least 15' higher than where it entered her house.

9. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I just got home with a shiny new Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport. It's about as basic as you can get, but it reportedly goes bang every time. And since I'm not interested in going super mall ninja tacticool, I'm happy with it. I will likely get a red dot sight for it eventually, but that's about it for my plans. All I bought it for is target shooting, not house clearing.

10. Newsshooter

In english, I can hit a man sized target at 1000 yards with my .223 if it isn't too windy. :) And yes you're probably close on the bullet drop. I've got an AP and Seekins uppers I'm working on now. Seekins has a rock creek barrel and the AP has a Green Mountain finned barrel that I picked up for a good price on black friday. Just need a couple BCG's and gas blocks to finish everything up.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A local shop has them on sale for 5 bones, a good deal.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I always wanted a 308 so I picked up this DPMS Oracle for $739 two weeks ago. Fairly basic so I'll tweak it a bit.

[​IMG]

Chango, Riders Discount and JTW like this.
  13. Newsshooter

Aero Precision has 6.5 CM uppers now so I'm looking to get one since I shoot 6.5 CM in my bolt gun. Reports on both the uppers and lowers are good.

14. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

It should serve you well. The Smith Sport is well thought at the hive(AR15.com), regarding the value it offers. It'll also hold its relative value better then most any other entry level AR Congrats.

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

What kinda reviews does its bigger brother get? Not long after Newtown, I purchased the mil spec version (ORC) of that same rifle for an even grand, iirc.

I was considering acquiring another upper for it in the .300 Whisper variety but dang, at $1/rd I said fvck that! :D

Maybe one day if I decide to add reloading equipment to my 'hobby' list that'll change. :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

What flavor of locktite should I use on scope ring screws on an AR?

17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Purple. They are aluminum, yes?

18. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Yes they are.

19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Can I also use the purple on the muzzle brake?

20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Don't see why not. I didn't use anything on any of my guns, but then again none of my muzzle devices need to be indexed so I could torque them down pretty good. No issues, thousands of round through most of them (except the 6.8, that's really just my hunting rig).