1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

It has a bit shorter chamber and provides better accuracy while holding up to 5.56 and .223 rounds/SAMMI pressures

14.5 would work as well, just have to grab a bit longer muzzle device to get her to 16 inches.

So far this is about as close to what I'm looking for, just not in .223 Wylde: http://faxonfirearms.com/14-5-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

Anyone have experience with Faxon barrels?

Steeltoe likes this.
  2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I have an lower sitting in my shop right now that I built out for a 300blk pistol... Until I bought am upper and found it wouldn't mate to the lower. And then I tried every other upper I have and none would mate to it. So now I get to either work some material away from a brand new unfired lower, or scrap it and start over.

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The two Aero Precision lowers I have (one for 5.56 one for 300blk) have been fine. Maybe I got a good batch.

4. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Same here, two builds using Aero upper and lowers, both perfect.

5. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

The round being used is more important than the weapon it's being shot from in regards to over penetration. I speak to the AR platform. I have no knowledge on the 5.7. Several 5.56 ammo address's the over penetration issue.

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Same here......

7. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I hear Faxon is fantastic. My next barrel will be one of theirs - the one you linked but in 16". IMO, forget the wylde requirement and go with the Faxon. It'll be more accurate than you need without worrying about gimmicky chambers.

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i shot one of those once. it was ridiculous. i can't really fathom the situation you could get yourself into where you don't want a rifle round, but you want to be holding a long rifle and not a shotgun, but hey... "because you can" suffices. i guess if you want to shoot the hinges off the door of a car or tear somebody's arm off with a gun after kicking down a door and shoot the people 2 apartments behind them??? haha *shrug*. was cool for a gimmick toy i guess though.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Speaking of AR's, what's up with all these guns I keep seeing with stylized mag wells?

10. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Just makers trying to be unique. Same with all the custom Duracoat and Cerakote jobs.

11. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

That platform was originally designed to be used by perimeter security and counter-assault teams to disable approaching non-yielding vehicles by shooting a round through the engine block. In that capacity it worked well. There are a lot of applications where a .50 is utilized as a precision marksman platform and it performs really well. Right now the rage with AR rifle platforms is leaning to 6.5 and the uniqueness of the .458.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

??? The Beowulf? That thing won't go through an engine block.

Made to go through glass or sheet metal without deflecting, not through an engine. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_Beowulf

13. Hollywood

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It doesn't say anything there about an engine block. It's a big, heavy bullet, not a powerful bullet.

[​IMG]

15. Hollywood

First page (the link), third paragraph, second sentence.

"The external ballistics of the .50 Beowulf® cartridge are well-suited to urban environments where the shorter range template allows for more flexible application and the large projectile energy delivered by the ammunition can disable both motor vehicles and assailants with body armor."

I guess you could read that it might just "shoot out the tires", but lots of rounds do that. Check out this video. , around the 3:45 minute mark.

Sorry mods, I don't know how to post a link to a video from a host site without the video posting up. If someone wouldn't mind pm'ing me the instructions I won't break the rules again.

16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Impressive weapon.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

"Disable a motor vehicle" does not mean shooting through the engine block. All it means in this case is "smashing through the windshield/sheetmetal and killing the driver instead of deflecting off the angled surface like a 556 would do".

Look at the ballistics chart for it. It's just not that fast. Think of it like dropping a boulder on someone instead of throwing a fastball.

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Is Anderson Arms stuff any good? Reason I ask is Sportsman's Guide has complete lowers for $161. I can find an upper later.

19. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Before
    Before I realized guns were super duper dangerous, I had a couple Anderson lowers that I built. Both fit fine and finish was just as good as Stag, DD, etc. GTG IMO.

rd400racer likes this.
  20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Speaking of, are there any 50 dollar blem stripped lower deals going on anywhere?