1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

They're never really finished, are they? :D
    Do tell. I'm in research mode. I know I want man-sized detection out to a thousand and ID out to at least 600, or whatever the best thing is in the $10K range.
    Why such distances? Definition. Don't want to make the mistake of shooting my own pets or, more realistically, want to be able to watch nature doin' its thing. Watchin' critters hunt/tear each other apart in real life is fascinating...the whole life/struggle thing.
    Clip-on, no reticle, no to little magnification. Gives me multiple platforms from which to, steadily, hold the image on targ...uh, the subject. Don't know where I'll have to compromise but clip-on, for sure.
    Got anything?

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I think FLIR is the top of the line stuff but this is a Pulsar for $3500. I can see far enough at night and for deer and pigs its great. You could identify a person I feel like pretty easily. I have to look at pigs through brush a bit until their heads move. They look like deer feeding until their head doesn't come above their shoulders if it's a single. If it's a group then it's easy to tell. I've been more than happy with the pulsar and would guess i can identify animals over 500 yds

http://www.pulsar-nv.com/products/thermal-imaging-sights-apex/apex-xd50/

3. fastfreddie

Not in my book.
    RRA was my second choice. Well, actually, it was my first choice. I had previously looked at, hands-on, and researched the usual suspects - Rem, Ruger, S&W, etc. I stopped at the Armalite distributor on the way to purchase the RRA cuz that dealer carries nothing but the best glass and other accessories. Well, there was an Armalite - the original AR MFG-er - and I hadn't ever had one in my hand tho' I'd pined for one, for decades. (Pined for the P7 even longer).

The things that brought me to choose the RRA were all the things I wouldn't have to do to it that I would have had to do with the run-of-the-mill offerings. Plus, RRA offers so many different packages/configurations. I might actually have been happier with one but...I can't argue the original's appeal - same with my Colts, .45 and 5.56.

4. fastfreddie

Sounds like a good piece that's serving your needs well. <thumbs>

5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on a good place to buy a complete upper at a decent price? not looking for anything too fancy

6. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

ar15part.com

7. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

joeboboutfitters.com
    daytonatactical.com

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

JSE, PSA, Aero Precision, and on and on and on....... Freedom Ammo had some Seekins uppers for a good price.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

What suppressor is that? Find any specific ammo you like?
    So far I've found the 208gr works pretty well out of mine.
    Seekins 12" barrel

+/- 3 inches off dead center @ 100 yds with an EoTech.

How much did the thermal vision set you back?

10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

it's made locally in AL . I have a TBAC 7" in jail for my 6.8 that I may try on this. However, it's so well balanced as is I may just keep the 9" suppressor on the blackout. 8.5 barrel btw

I just shoot supersonic 110 barnes black tips have have great accuracy at 100 and at 25 yards I had 5 make a quarter size hole just shooting off a range bag. Found that pigs don't care whether it's subsonic or super because they run off either way. Thermal is around $3500. I'm on the fence of whether night hunting is worth the effort but the technology is pretty amazing.

11. Jedb

So far, I've shot only suppressed out of mine.
    Hunting paper targets. lol.

Seekins 12" barrel
    Freedom munitions 208gr sub-sonic.
    AAC 7.62-SD
    +/- 3 inches off dead center @ 100 yds with an EoTech.

I noticed about an 8" difference (high) with the 125gr Remington Super Sonic compared to the 208gr sub-sonic.

I wonder if anyone makes a thermal/infra-red flip to the side unit. Kind of like an EoTech Magnifier, but for IR/Thermal.
    4x seems to be good magnification. How heavy is the one you have? (@Steak Travis)

12. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Tried a silenced FN PS90 last weekend. Im pretty sure I can get 2 bullets on target for every 1 from my piston AR-15.

Fun, very versatile defense gun, not for hunting.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Worlds deadliest staple gun

14. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

I think I'm on the right track with these components:

Aero Precision Gen 2 lower
    Aero M4 E1 upper w/ 15" M-LOK rail
    Geisselle SSA trigger
    Faxon 16" mid-length barrel (haven't decided on profile yet)
    Magpul MOE stock/grip

Haven't decided on a BCG yet.

15. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Oh god. Stay the F away from Aero. Absolute garbage uppers and lowers. Sent 15 back last year to be re machined. Horrible horrible machinists.

Scotty87 likes this.
  16. Quicktoy

5.7 defense round? No. Unless you want to kill all the good guys behind the bad guys lol. I have a full auto p90. It's designed to kill bad guys behind bad guys lol. Never use a 5.7 or an AR as a home or vehicle or personal defense gun. Over penetration is baaaad.

17. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

Out of curiosity, what were the issues? I looked around a lot and saw almost all positive reviews.

Quicktoy likes this.
  18. Quicktoy

Come talk to dealers and manufacturers and builders. Your positive reviewers are AR15.com morons. Their tolerances were so bad uppers didn't mate to lowers, charging handles and BCGs wouldn't slide in. Etc. we sell a ton of spikes and Andro Corp and never a single issue. Aero has horrible quality control.

19. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I picked up a stripped upper from Rainer a week or so back. Pretty nice imo. Nice enough to maybe make me buy one of their bullet upper/lower sets.

If anyone knows where to find this barrel let me know:
    14.7 inch
    .223 wylde chamber
    Midlenght
    Pencil profile
    Button rifle
    11 degree crown
    Air Guage tested
    Melonite coating
    NOT STAINLESS!

So far I can find it in stainless or chambered in 556 in steel.

20. Jedb

Out of curiousity, why the preference for 223-wylde?

I think that Seekins Precision matches most of your requirements except for the stainless part. Well 14.5 not 14.7
    5r/button rifling. 1:8
    http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/barrels.html

Alternatively, there's Black Hole Weaponry
    http://www.shop.blackholeweaponry.com/556-caliber-145-length-AR15-556-145.htm