1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell is up with used truck prices?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, May 8, 2021.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

It’s insane. I get supply/demand, the pandemic, etc etc. Thing is, new trucks are selling for MSRP. Make’s no sense to me. If my 2017 Ram 2500 with 6.4 gas and 32K miles is worth 40k ( I paid 35 for the thing brand new, wtf) why would anyone do that when you could spend 10k more and get brand new? I realize ten grand is ten grand, but it still seems silly.

I had planned to keep this truck for another 6 years, but if I actually can get 40 for it I think I’m gonna do so and grab a new one.

Pepsi Drinker likes this.
  2. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Sell now, buy new in 6 months to a year. Or not. Somewhat like the housing market. Prices go up, so you want to sell. But then what you want also has gone up.

You pays your money and takes your chances...

shakazulu12, BigBird and pickled egg like this.
  3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Because right now you can’t get a new truck. It will be several months before the semiconductor chips roll in. Pickup trucks new are very tough to find

BigBird, DmanSlam and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Grab a book of matches and set your points, time to go back to basics. :D

Pepsi Drinker likes this.
  5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Not by me. Plenty for sale, and at MSRP or better. Unless that’s just internet dick tease.

6. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Funny, The manuals used to tell you how to set them and the valve lash.
    Now, the manual tells you "Do Not to drink the contents of the battery".. my how times have changed.

7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I ordered a new Ram 3500 back in feb and it is just showing up. Apparently now there are massive production backlogs.

I can’t wait to sell my 11 Super Duty for 35k lol

8. Exactly why I’m just ordering a 2022 and being done with it. Assumed the days of ordering specific vehicles were mostly long gone but it was easier for me to order one. Now when I will get it who knows, but they are trying to find me a suitable loaner as they want my trade in like yesterday.

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Ummmm truck prices have been insane for a long, long time. I bought my truck in 2006. Same truck, same age and milage [8yrs old, 75k] for the last decade would cost me at least double what I paid. Right now it would cost triple. Its just insanity getting more insane. I have no idea where people get all this money.

R1Racer99 and tony 340 like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sales commissions on new trucks ;)

Sabre699 and bored&stroked like this.
  11. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Chip shortage is supposed to go for 2 years.

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Ask any salesman....all these people care about now is their monthly payment

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

96 months@ $1,200 per month. No problem!

Phl218 likes this.
  14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Hasn't it gone to weekly payments already?....

15. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

In the past few months I've sold a bunch of non-essentials toys. Vehicles, firearms, bikes, half-eaten corndogs, etc. Taking advantage of the insane demand for everything that's going on right now, and everything is selling for waaaay more than I paid for it. I'll re-stock when all of this stupidity has passed. The same goes for the pickup and Jeep I just sold. I don't understand it, but whatever.

Gino230 and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

When trucks become status symbols instead of tools, this shit will happen.

17. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Yea pretty much anything sells for asking price this days. I bought 7 old pickups in last couple months, selling them for double next day :)

18. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I should put my 04 VStar up for sale and see what I can fetch LOL!

I'm actually pretty happy I snagged an 05 F150 for under $5k a couple months ago :D

19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Dude the most I've ever payed for a vehicle was $10k because I can't justify more then $200/month payment. Payment has always been my #1 concern too! haha

20. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member