1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell is up with used truck prices?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, May 8, 2021.

1. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

So, on a lark I did a quick valuation on my truck last night. 2018 ram SLT, 6 cyl, 2wd quad cab, just broke 40k miles. Bought 2 years ago used as a 2nd vehicle/ daily driver. Quote was $24,800. I bought it outright back in 2019 for $26,000 OUT THE DOOR (including tax AND a new tag, etc). Crazy, man!!

2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The HD's make me laugh. I can understand getting one if you are towing something heavy but 90% of those rough riding uncomfortable trucks are bought for image and used as a commuter. I drive an old Jeep so I am not unfamiliar with rough riding vehicles. My first thought when I had to use one of the HD's this winter at work was how shitty it rode. It is also pretty obvious that the person who designed the front end on those jerked off to cartoon superhero chicks and Megan Fox when she was in Transformers. To me they were just trying too hard to make it look tough. Definitely a love it or hate it look.

Phl218 and 418 like this.
  3. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Jeez I bought. Here’s crazy...03 7.3 diesel E350 extended cargo van..
    I bought it for $2900 w 220k on the ODO...
    I put a floor in the back and pull out shelves.. I’ve beeen offered 12k for it...
    People are going bat shit crazy for Vans and diesel vans seem to be the most desired.. but it’s the older 7.3 not the newer 6.0,, I understand why as the 6.0 was so brutal in the pocketbook for owners... but really 12k for a cargo fleet van....
    I got a good deal... but to me... 3 k for a 2003 diesel Moto van .. is what there worth....
    Go figure?

malamute likes this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

$12K? and you didn't take it? Yeah, you'll probably never get another one but, damn!

Phl218 and Boman Forklift like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You trying to get your citizenship revoked?

Phl218 and crashman like this.
  6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

most of my miles are commuting but I’ve got a 40’ 5th wheel and the bike trailer is 24’ usually with a minimum of 3 bikes/rider gear, etc. But even if I didn’t have the towing needs, I’d still get an HD over the 1/2 ton. My last truck was a ‘12 2500HD and gave me ZERO issues. Didn’t need brakes until 100k miles. All I did was tires and fluid changes. The HD components seem to be built for abuse but in absence of, have some legit longevity.

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

We have approximately 50 Silverado’s in order for my staff’s fleet vehicle needs. Placed the order last year. To date we have received 8.

The 2500’s and 4500’s, we have received plenty of those.

BigBird likes this.
  8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, some of us actually use them. I have a lot full of various trailers that I tug shit around on/in all of the time, but mostly lax and baseball bags. Lol

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

This, 100%. I haul my boat around, but any 1500 would do that. My 2500 does it without even noticing it’s back there, however. I occasionally haul heavy equipment but that’s rare. The real benefit to me is the beef of the components. In my area I swear they’ll pave a new road and overnight there’s 92 potholes in it. I was putting suspension and steering components on my old 1500 almost yearly. The 2500 is four years old and the brakes look new, no issues on any front end stuff, etc etc. I’ll keep going 2500 until I’m and old man and it’s a pain to climb in and out of. Some of this is mitigated in that I have and old Jeep and bikes to drive around when weather permits and I don’t need a truck, so I’m not stuck in it every day except for the winter.

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Plus 3 to the HD’s vs 1500’s. They just roll around forever without anything other than fluids. You give up a few mpg, they aren’t as fast empty, and the ride is a bit rougher. Though I actually prefer it. I’ll be vehicle shopping again next year when things get a little more normal, but will likely end up with a 2500 as well, even though the specs say a half ton would be fine for me.

Scotty87 likes this.
  11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Meh, if you can afford them they are awesome, especially if you put a nice suspension system on them. I doubt I’d go back to a halfy, even if I downsized my trailer.

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

(2) 3/4" sheets of plywood, (4) 2x4 studs = $153.xx at Lowes

My work buys lumber by the bulk....190 pcs of 2x6x14 = $4600. $22 a stick, same as retail at Lowes/HD.

13. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Seems like everything is sky high but 5/10 years ago vans were so cheap, I mean crazy cheap. I’ve always owned a conversion van for trips/camping and everything and absolutely love them. This whole Utube van life thing has brought them up I believe then all of the sudden there really going up again and no idea why this time. My current one is a 1994 Ford E150 5.8L I found about 3 to 4 years ago garage kept mint with 19,800 miles on it. This thing was like a brand new van from top to bottom. I’ve drove it summer only the past few years and not a single issue. Currently sitting at 37,500 miles now. Love it. Hope it last a long time after the prices I’m seeing. There’s one like mine now on eBay with 50,000 miles listed at 13,000 I think that’s way high but someone will probably buy it. Got mine for 5k so did ok.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I ought to list my truck...it's a classic! '95 K2500 heavy duty! minor rust (one rocker, one fender and one door...oh and the frame is sh*t). It's fire engine red!!! Comes complete with a plow, 180,000 easy miles! It starts easy and runs hard (just won't idle but who idles?). This truck is killer! No low ball offers, I know what I got.

Willing to trade for a pack of smokes, Luckies preferred.....:confused:

15. Jaketheone46

So so true, And that’s exactly what the salesman wants.I can’t get this through my parents head. I tell them all that matters is the bottom line. What are you getting the vehicle for. They seem to go in only concerned about the monthly payment (like the majority) and come out with a 6/8yr payment plan only caring about the amount of the payment. I’m so sure these salesman rip their heads off every time.

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, to each their own. Like I said, I know they are love it or hate it sort of vehicles. I was just surprised and disappointed with how uncomfortable the truck was for something that cost well north of $50k for anything with a better trim level than a work truck.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Outside of supply issues, Internet used car dealers, i.e carvana, etc., are also upping the price of used vehicles, so there are lots of willing buyers, not just the dealer and auction house right now.

~sent from mobile

19. Jaketheone46

20. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I get an email 2-3 times a week from the dealership I bought my f250 from wanting to buy it. All dealers are struggling to get inventory so they have to hold their ground on price or they won't be in business very much longer.

On the ride quality, I have a 17 f250 and a 17 f350 dually and hands down the dually rides better. It is a higher trim level but I don't think that has anything to do with it.