Republicans not racist!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 999, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Interesting side note is on Native Americans. (I believe I read this in Scientific American a year or ago)

To be part of a tribe, you have to prove lineage. When they started doing DNA testing, they found that many NAs have more euro genetic markers than ethnic markers.

Funny thing was, within some of the tribe structure, it was getting political (and even racist). If you looked white and your heritage was sketchy, they would say that your claim as a tribal member was invalid. But some of the more 'native' looking members had more than 50% euro genetics, so how you 'looked' had no bearing on the balance of your actual genetic makeup.

I thought that was really profound. the races are more mixed than they know.

Who's you're daddy? ;)

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not Putter's woman, that's for sure. Do you remember the white legs on that mofo? :D

3. PInC

PInC Well-Known Member

I never thought of myself as a racist, but I don't know if the thought I had the other night might not have some folks calling me one. I don't see that Obama has any real empathy for black Americans because he has no ancestral connection to slavery. He went to the best schools and was raised in a pretty sheltered, elitist way, while the black side of his family remained in Africa. He is first generation American on his father's side. Since his family connections are directly African, it may be that his black ancestors were among the natives who sold their captive brethren to the slavers. Now, wouldn't that be a weird circumstance?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, can't say as I do and I'll ban anyone who reposts that picture :D

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think the ancestral connection matters. I mean, how many African Americans alive today actually met a slave? I think what matters (as far as developing empathy is concerned) is whether he grew up in America or not. I am black, but I did not grow up in America. There are some things I just did not relate to in my 12 years in the US.

6. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

does it mean anything that the Jews were enslaved for thousands of years... not just a few hundred?

I guess thats ok now? no reparations for the jews?

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:confused:

8. PInC

PInC Well-Known Member

Obama's early years weren't in America, and I see what you mean about not having met a slave. One of the problems that seems prevalent in the US is a sense of entitlement that the black experience in slavery seems to perpetuate. There are any number of organizations and black Americans who feel that they are owed something for the sweat and toil of those ancestors held in slavery during the early part of this country's history. Fr Pflegger, the priest who spoke at Obama's ex-church, was particular about this. There was also a lawsuit that was initiated against major corporations that existed pre-Civil War which chose not to stop slavery or at least speak against it. I don't know where that suit currently stands. I'm sure there are other examples, but those two come to mind without research. Anyway, it was just an odd thought I had.

Every ethnic group seems to have been subjugated or treated badly in some way. The Jews have been in and out of slavery, murdered, and tortured. Man's inhumanity to man is pretty staggering sometimes. The Middle East is a prime example of intolerance and inhumanity. Where/When do we say, let's go from here and treat one another as equals?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe in 5,000 years when there is only one mixed race.

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

It will never happen. Global Warming will guarantee it!:D

11. kl3640

kl3640 Well-Known Member

Here are some facts that readers can verify independently if they want, but they are facts:

1) More major civil rights legislation was initiated and pushed through congress and signed by the President by Republicans than Democrats...including the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments to the Constitution.

2) Executive acts under or commands issued by Republican Presidents (to enforce judicial rulings) began the process of ending slavery, ending racial segregation in public places, racially integrating schools, and protecting the rights of all citizens to vote, regardless of race.

3) More legislation was introduced to Congress (and in some cases passed) that sought to curb the rights of freed slaves by Democrats than by Republicans or any other organized political group. This is especially true in State or municipal cases.

4) Abolitionists almost exclusively joined the Republican party after it came in to existence.

5) Republican Presidents have appointed more people of color to cabinet positions than Democratic Presidents.

6) Republican Presidents have nominated more Federal judges (including Supreme Court justices) from the ranks of Women and Blacks (and other minorities) than Democrats, and the Democrats blocked more diversity candidates for federal judgeships than the Republicans.

7) The Civil Rights Act of 1957 paved the way for the subsequent Civil Rights Acts of the 60's, which would not have been possible without the '57 Act. That Act was passed during the Republican President Eisenhower's administration, and Eisenhower was noted for having pushed the act through despite congressional and public opposition to its passage. The Civil Rights Act of 1960 was also fostered by Eisenhower's administration. Both the '57 and '60 act were opposed by Congressional Democrats; and although the Civil Rights acts of '64 and '65 were passed while LBJ was in office, Congressional minutes show that many Democratic congressmen fought against passage of those acts, and that Congressional Republicans helped push them through. They also fought hard against the '72 act (Equal Opportunity Employment), which was passed once again under a Republican President.

8) Although Democratic President Truman initiated desegregation in the military, via his executive orders, it didn't happen on a large scale during his administration. Near the very end of his administration there was some attempt to integrate units in Korea, but in practice, the desegregation actually occurred during Eisenhower's administrations. He was the one who actually enforced the Truman's executive orders, issued his own orders, and made desegregation a reality in the military. Although ordered, almost no desegregation occurred in the military before Eisenhower. It was complete by the time Eisenhower left office. Once again, Ike was a Republican.

9) Even now, President Bush's record of diversity is considerable, including
    -The first Black Secretary of State
    -The first Black Female as Secretary of State, only the 2nd woman to hold that office
    -The first Hispanic Attorney General
    -A 3rd of his nominations for Federal benches have been women or minorities
    -Allowing command of a large part of the forces fighting in the Middle-East to an American General of Arab descent
    -Guttierez, a Cuban-American to a Cabinet position: Commerce
    -Spellings, a woman, to Education

10) Aid from Republican Presidents to black-african nations for things like AIDS, famine, refugee relief, and other such things has been considerable, including the current President's commitment to AIDS relief and research for Africa, which was noted by the international community for its generosity and strong commitment to international public health.

11) The first Indian-American governor of a state is a Republican..and it's a state in the deep South, no less.

12) Democratic Presidents have passed the most legislation and enacted the most Executive Orders to suppress black rights, particularly in the South. They also have the strongest record of opposition to civil rights legislation at all levels of government.

13) The worst examples of blatantly racist legislation were passed in to law under the auspices of Democratic Presidents and Governors, including the Black Codes and other regional Jim Crowe laws. Civil Rights legislation such as the 14th Amendment was vehemently opposed by Democrats, and the now infamous quote: "This is a country for white men, and by God, as long as I am President, it shall be a government for white men." was spoken by a Democratic President.

14) Although most Black colleges were founded by understandably Republican blacks, they were supported substantially by White Republicans and vigorously opposed by White Democrats (there of course was no such thing as a Black Democrat at the time, allowing of course for the fake votes cast under the names of freed blacks by white racist Democrats in the South).

15) MLK, Jr.'s birthday being a national holiday was signed in to law by Ronald Reagan, a Republican.

16) 3 white Republicans were the people most responsible for the founding of the NAACP...over the objections of their Democratic contemporaries.

17) There were more illegal wiretaps initiated on MLK, the Black Panthers, and other black-movements by Robert Kennedy (serving under his brother Jack) and during the subsequent Johnson administrations than there were under Nixon or Ford. Of course the Kennedy's and Johnson were Democrats.

18) The state and federal congressional supporters of the Dred Scott decision are on record as being Democrats.

19) Almost all members of the KKK who held political office (municipal, state, or in some rare cases Federal), whose identities are known publicly today, were Democrats. Modern racist politicians such as David Duke who have attempted to align themselves with the Republican party have been publicly spurned at national and local levels by the GOP, and are only Republicans by their own declaration. On the other hand, when Duke ran for state senate in LA as a Democrat, he was never disowned by the Democrats at a national level in public.

20) President Clinton, a 2-term Democrat, was willing to send troops to the Balkans, were white refugees and civilians were at risk, but refused to send troops to Rwanda and withdrew from Somalia under almost identical circumstances. The civilians at risk in the latter 2 areas were almost exclusively black.

21) Whether you agree with Affirmative Action or not, what cannot be denied is that it was begun by an Executive Order, which was issued by Republican President Richard Nixon, ostensibly to help minorities in the workplace and education, and to help level socio-economic stratifications across races.

22) The most horrible examples of non-military group violence against blacks (e.g. Rosewood) were perpetrated by organized mobs led by local leaders. Of the leaders whose identities are known today, and who were in political office at the time, there is not one who was a Republican...but almost all were Democrats.

So, the next time anyone want to argue about which major US political party is more committed to racial equality, look at the facts. Just because people of a certain race vote a certain way, that doesn't mean that the party for which they vote is the most racially tolerant...it just means that they're possibly being duped.

Is the Republican Party's record on race perfect? No, of course not - look at Strom Thurmond, for example. But compared to the Democratic Party's record, the Republican Party is a shining example of racial tolerance, equality, and harmony.

12. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Seriously. How can you explain away the fact that Obama is weakest where racisim is most prevelant other than the obvious, that a lot of Southern Republicans would never vote for any black for president?

13. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

Zero possibility they're voting on other information of than skin color...

so everyplace theres racism these people go "BLACK BAD" and therse no possiblity its any political stance either person might have...

interesting.

14. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

It doesn't surprise me in the least bit. In fact, it's man tolerance of his fellow man that surpises me. It completely defies the natural order of things.

Also, am I the only one that could give damn less about somebody's record of diversity? Why should that be impressive?

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I been disenfranchised. Where the white gurls at?

16. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

How do you get your head that far up your bum that you can't see three pages of replies to your initial post? No disrespect intended, I'm just amazed. :D

17. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

They're still in that case under the stairs.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't buy your premise that it is exclusively a race based issue for Republicans. For me and many others, the issue is not Obama's color, it is his ideology. I know a number of lifelong Democrats that will not vote for Obama his color. That is racism, but not Republican racism. Are there Republicans that would not vote for a black candidate? Unfortunately, yes. There are also a huge number that would if the candidate were more closely aligned with their views.

I know people that are planning on voting for Obama strictly because of race. That is no less racist than those not voting for him because of his ethnicity.

I am a southern Republican and have voted for black candidates in a number of elections I voted for Harvey Gannt when he ran against Jesse Helms.

19. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I don't think they are racist if they voted for, well, pretty much anyone, in previous elections. They're voting for the person they think will best represent their interests, not against the person they're convinced is inferior and incapable of doing the job.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

IMHO, the act of voting, or not voting, for someone strictly because of their race is a racist act.