It may be time for Rousey...

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Mar 6, 2015.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Thank you for letting me know something I already admitted to.

2. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

They don't typically. That's the job of their manager. Their job is to match the best-paying draw without putting their fighter's in jeopardy of losing. The rankings are where they start. Then they look at record, style, and fitness level. Coming from a boxing background I know precisely how it's done. The match has to look formidable only on paper. That's why you'll rarely see a belt-holder fighting the best contender. Especially when the division is weak to begin with. The best way to draw hype is to hype-up your opponent. 'The Great White Hype' was a movie for some, but really it was a the basic manual on how its done.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. 600 dbl are

Thank you.

I had always assumed it was the promotor (in this case the UFC) that decided the bouts.

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

This article
    says some of your stats are wrong

UFC168: Tate was ranked No. 2 at the time
    UFC175: Davis was ranked No. 2 at the time
    UFC184: Zingano was ranked No. 1 at the time

5. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

I would imagine Rousey had a bit of pull with ol' Dana White considering her position and fame at the time, putting her more in the driver's seat as it pertained to match ups.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

No, don't know a damn thing. Don't even watch it. :p

7. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I'll give 'ya they (fighters) may have some say/pull on whom they fight by letting it be known, and if the UFC brass see it as marketable, therefore profitable, yes, they will make it happen, but it's not like fighters just "pick" or "select" whom they want to fight, and UFC says "Okay". Again, if marketable/profitable... yes, but that's generally gonna be a good fight anyways.

Besides, she fought all the top ranked women, in her weight class, leading up to her loss. It's not like there's a slew of 'em to "pick" or "select" from.

8. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

You all realize you are all talking about chick fighting? That is about as important as watching basket weaving on PBS...

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Except she could kick most of our asses

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

^^ I'm 6'2" 225#, I wouldn't tangle with her.

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I thought Joe Silva picked the fights? I've heard plenty of stories of fighters not getting the matchups they wanted because Joe Silva picked another fighter.

12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

She's a world class professional fighter, if she weren't able to whoop every untrained opponent but an NFL linebacker it'd be pretty sad.

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Not to include the Saints' linebackers. Caitlyn Jenner could whip those sorry bastages.

Gorilla George and Shenanigans like this.
  14. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I'm not sure why i'm even interested. A match that ends in an armbar submission just strikes me as weak. I'm sure there's a handful of wrestlers here that can't wait to prove me wrong, but unless there's jello involved i'd rather see them fight like they mean it.

Gorilla George and crashman like this.
  15. 600 dbl are

I see your point however, I don't know too many people that are going to win a fight after having thier arm snapped in half.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Philo Beddeo did:D

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah Buck you lost all credibility with that statement lol

18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I think Buck is saying that fights are more exciting when punches are thrown and people are knocked out.

19. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

It's called Mixed Martial ARTS. It's a matter of appreciation of the 'art' of this style of fighting. Aside from just worrying about getting punched, kicked, elbowed, etc. , being able to successfully execute a submission move while not opening yourself to getting submitted and without getting knocked out is an exciting and intriguing element of the art (to some).
    Like any other art, some will get it and some won't. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Standard for boxing too. Winner usually gets a 7 to 14 day suspension and looser gets a lot more depending on how badly they lost.