1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delta flight 339, 3/28/22

Discussion in 'General' started by Linker48X, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Been there. On a flight back from hAmPsterdamN, our jet boutlered after main gear down - full throttle and back up we went. I saw the tail of a jet that was crossing the same runway as we went back up. 757s had power, even back in the 90’s.

3. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

4. Resident Plarp

Yeah?

The Air Force is still flying B-52s. At least the avionics went all-digital sometime in the 90’s.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Come on the last run of 76 b52s were made 58 or so years ago how can they still be good?

6. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

And they still have wiring from the original build. No one flying Buffs today was alive when the last one rolled off the line.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Maybe someone took a nasty dump in the forward lav and they had to vent the aircraft

8. Resident Plarp

American ingenuity, (budget concerns, really), fuckface. :)

Useless fact; until it was retired sometime in the early 2000s, the oldest still-flying B-52, B model, had the fewest hours on it. It was loaned to NASA for ferrying vehicles to launch altitude.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Because they are still in the air, same can't be said about some brand new Beoings.

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I sometimes hope to be on a flight where something goes wrong. I always wished I'd been on that US Airways flight that landed in the Hudson River. Maybe I'm weird...

11. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Indiction problem.

12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

There are doctors for that.

13. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Oops! IndicAtion problem.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maintenance.
    I don't know for a fact that an airframe can last forever but for all intents and purposes, it's pretty much the same thing. Obviously, engines are not 58 years old.
    They will certainly outlive the people maintaining them.

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I saw that, live. No, you did not want to be on that plane. On top of everything else, it was bone chillingly cold that day.

BigBird likes this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

WHAT?! How has that never come up before? What else you hiding?

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I don’t know? It never came up? Want to hear it? I have some errands. Later today…

18. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Keep changing and rebuilding almost every single part besides the frame way before it will actually go bad, over and over.

19. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Because back in the day, Boeing over engineered the entire plane. With the re-engine about to start, the B52 will see a 100+ year service life. Simply amazing and sad that a better bomber cannot be designed and built better than a plane designed in the early 50's.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are better bombers, but it doesn't mean in certain situations the 52 isn't the perfect tool. Not like screwdrivers have had a ton of redesigns over the years or hammers...

Rebel635 likes this.