1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delta flight 339, 3/28/22

Discussion in 'General' started by Linker48X, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

OK so I was at an investor conference for a large, prestigious group of investment funds. The venue was downtown NYC. Manhattan is an island, and the southern tip of it is where the East River begins on the right (Brooklyn, Queens across the water), and the Hudson River on the left (New Jersey across the water). And in January, with the wind blowing and picking the condensation up off the water, brrrrrrrr. It it flipping cold. Some of those tiny streets surrounding Wall Street are wind tunnels, you can barely walk upright.

Back to the conference. It was well attended, maybe 300 people in the room. We were in a building downtown, forget which one, pretty high up, maybe the 40th floor (you can feel the building sway at that height). Unobstructed view of the water north, west, south. Was shortly after 2008 financial crisis, so the news was pretty grim.

So we’re listening to all of this crap news and then, all of a sudden, the room erupted in pings and beeps and tings and whatnot on everyone’s phone. Plane down in the Hudson.

What?!?! Oh no!!! There were a few moments of shock and disbelief, and then, seemingly en masse, we all pelted to the northern facing windows to see what happened. I’m surprised we didn’t topple the building over with our energy.

So we are all crammed against the north facing windows, everyone’s phone is still blowing up, and we collectively came to the stunning realization that the plane had survived the crash. We could see it. Floating downriver and all sorts of ferries and whatnot zooming across the water to provide assistance.

I don’t have the words to explain the euphoria that broke out in that room. It was unreal. Everyone was high fiving, and screaming and laughing. No one gave a sh!t about the fund’s investment performance. This was going in the win column.

There was a 60 Minutes interview shortly after the incident. Katie Couric interviewed Sully and his team, broken down into three or four parts. It’s on YT, highly recommend.

You want to talk about the man of the moment. I also read his autobiography, Highest Duty: My Search For What Really Matters. A lot to learn there.

Gino230, tony 340, GM GIXXER and 5 others like this.
  2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

It's kind of both. Short runways, ringed by buildings. Landing there is also dicey, especially in bad weather. Regardless, I've flown 737's out of there, and while take off was lively, they didn't have the juice that a 757 had. Almost like they struggled to get to the min altitude required around the airport. If you've ever been there, it's a steep climb to a sudden leveling.

Gino230, HPPT and beac83 like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I've only been to Chicago once and I have no recollection of the flights in or out.

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Depends on temp and weight at takeoff.
    I've been on flights on a hot summer day where they required x number of passengers to de-plane as they were overweight for takeoff on that length of runway. I've had it happen at MDW on A320's 727's and 737's. The 57's I've flown out of MDW on (long time ago) were never more than 1/3-1/2 full to make takeoff weight.

HPPT and Photo like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've flown in/out MDW a few times and don't remember anything unusual. It sounds like Orange County (SNA) where they spool it up on the runway, get some elevation, and then let off the throttle to glide over Newport Beach. I usually don't notice that anymore, but occasionally you get a pilot that seems to really go overboard on the spool up and throttle off/glide parts.

6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Well, when you're used to flying out of ORD, and you've usually got a nice gentle rollout and gradual lift, MDW is surprising to most people.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

God I hated flying out of MDW.:Puke:

Photo likes this.
  8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Easy to say but..... was on one coming into Jackson Hole that was rough. Started out me my brother and Tommy Moe were hands up like a coaster (yes everyone else was hating on us). By the time they gave up and pulled out to go all the way back to Salt Lake City no one had their hands up. The final 'event' was a 1500 plunge with the plain trying to roll over. Closed all the regions airports with us being the last attempt. Met our plane in SLC with an ambulance (needed as one guy had a heart attack while we were getting off). A memory for sure but my brother has not flown since other than up the next day then home. Easily could have crashed, flight attendant quit, co-pilot was visibly shaken and white as a ghost as we disembarked. Though I did tell the pilot it was good that he got us back as we had voted to eat him first.

Not something I can recommend.

JBraun likes this.
  9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

But it still works. Can even be pretty low and upside down!

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

That's John Wayne right? So yes they take off then yank the throttles back x minutes after takeoff then for x time they wait then punch it to cruise speed

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Your Uncle has very deep pockets!

Gino230 likes this.
  12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I respect all of that, and understand the terror of near death. To be fair, I’ve been certain it was over twice in my life, but in each case I was in a position that certainly wasn’t under control, but I had the opportunity to save my own life. In the commercial plane situation, all you can do is sit there. And it happens forever. It actually makes me a little nauseous thinking about it.

But… how good does it feel to hug someone you love after that experience? Fucking hell. If you can cut through the trauma, that’s a rare drug. I’m surprised it doesn’t intrigue more people.

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

In the heat of it there was not so much oh crap we are going to die as getting the crap beat out of you and the plane got tossed around. Not fun.

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Agree that being on a plane with any kind of issue....don't see where that could be anything but terrifying. My worst was a twin engine turboprop commuter (maybe 30 seats?) out of Valdosta going to ATL. There was a huge weather front from Chicago to the tip of FL, and my flight out of Gainesville was cancelled, so I drove to Valdosta as they said there were still connecting flights available from there. I get there, and everything is cancelled, so I'm getting ready to bed down and just sleep in the terminal till morning. All of a sudden, they call boarding for a flight to ATL, and I squeeze on. As we're boarding, I see an enormous storm front coming in from the West. We take off and get to cruising altitude, and notice that there's a pilot for the airline seated across the aisle from me. Strike up a conversation, and he's dead-heading to SC to fly the same plane north. Things start to get bumpy, and he's joking about people always freaking out about these small planes, when suddenly we roll sharply to what seemed past 90 degrees to the right, and lose a TON of altitude. I got scared when HE started screaming. Suffice it to say, he wasn't joking after we landed. Why would anyone want to experience anything like that, except maybe to stare death in the face?

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Related story: My dad and two of his buddies co-owned a Cessna 172 when I was a kid. Once I got to fly with him and my mom to CO to visit his brother. We started icing up trying to land at some airport outside of Denver, and the conditions were worse anywhere else the fuel would take us. In the end he had to just send it and pray it didn’t turn into a lead balloon. Many years later he told me he was certain he was about to kill his whole family. Up until then I never even knew we were in trouble.

16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Engine ingested a bird on an airbus 320 on ascent out of yyz. I knew cuz I heard the engine change it’s tone and the aircraft picked up a very faint vibration.
    Sighed as I knew we were gonna go land back at yyz.

was monitoring a weird PAC issue on a 757 that only happened on descent and was snagged few times but we could never replicate it on the ground. Oh and it was a flight attendant training flight.
    Take off from YYZ, planned aborted landing at North Bay, back to YYZ. In essence an empty flight except for flight crew, me and 20 hot flighties.
    The aborted landing was gonna be automated.
    When he pressed the TOGA button that fucker nailed us in the seats. I never experienced such acceleration force in an airplane before or since.
    Pilot turns around and looks at me and says “well, that was spicy….” “What did you expect? We’re bingo Fuel with no cargo/pax onboard…as close to a hot rod as an airliner will get”

man I loved the 57.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    Gino230 and Rdrace42 like this.
  17. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

We had a 757 departing SNA, nose wheel off the ground and they abort for a bird strike in the engine. Stopped safely before the end of the very short runway. Later discovered both engines had bird damage. We used to make a very long PA to the passengers about the departure. All the noise abatement stuff, closest most civilians can get to a cat shot off the carrier.

18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Some friends of mine have the same basic story. But, they were attending, what I think was, the IMS show that weekend. They watched from their hotel room balcony.

Yzasserina likes this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I wish that was possible out of SD. The biggest downside to living in OB is the noise. The wind is usually onshore, so they're full power over my house most days.

The upside is the audible surf forecast. If I don't hear the first flight depart at 6:30, it means the wind is offshore and it's time to go surfing. :D

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Do you know why they quit announcing it? They still tell us how to fasten our seat belts, so I'm a bit surprised they quit?