1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delta flight 339, 3/28/22

Discussion in 'General' started by Linker48X, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Any of you ever flown into Caracas? I’m a calm flier, but that approach is some eek. Think lawn dart.

2. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

The A320 NEO is pretty damn sporty below 10,000ft. For a 150,000lb plane, it will climb like a Lear down low. Routinely will see 4500fpm climbs at 250kts. TOGA takeoffs at a light weight from SNA are fun. Airline flying is 99% benign. Every once in a while we get to have some fun. That's why I get my jollies off at the track. :D

Gino230 and Rebel635 like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I once flew an instrument approach into Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA at night in a little Piper with a completely iced up windshield and zero forward visibility. That didn't make been nearly as nervous as I was one time, waking up in the back of an Airbus A330 to the sound of multiple power adjustments suggesting that they couldn't stabilize the approach into Philadelphia international. There was actually very little turbulence and everyone around me was calm and unconcerned, while I knew that the pilots were dealing with a handful. I wasn't the least bit surprised when they shoved the power forward and aborted the approach.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Rebel635 and JBraun like this.
  4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Coming into BWI, over the threshold of the runway, waiting for touch down, hmm no touch down yet. I was sitting next to a woman who was a Army helo pilot. I said boy we should be on the ground and she said oh yeah. It was like we were suspended above the runway. Finally, bam down rather abrupt. There were 3 nuns seated in the row in front of us. I knew we had a problem as we were deplaning, the Captain was at the door and when he saw the nuns, said “ thanks for the help, sisters”. Well fuucckkk.

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I wish a Caravan or Twin Otter could do that. We'd get a lot more jumps in a day. :D

Speaking of, I saw a person who paid for a tandem skydive lose their nerve at jump altitude and refuse to even go to the door. Obviously they don't make them jump, they just move to the front of the aircraft and ride down with the pilot.

I've watched the approach to our strip enough times to know that jumping out would be less scary than landing. There are mountains immediately to the east, and the wind is almost always out of the west. That means the approach is nose down and steep. I brought it up to the pilot and he conceded that when someone chickens out and rides down, he flies the approach a little more aggressively than needed just for giggles. How rude. :crackup:

gt#179, Boman Forklift and Rebel635 like this.
  6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Not a pilot, but just relating an interesting approach. I used to think coming into DCA was scary, but eventually I got used to the get it over the runway, slam it down and hammer the brakes. On vacation we were coming into CUZ: "Oh there is the runway over there." As I looked to the mountain beside us, I thought, "We are already fairly low in this valley. I wonder how we are going to get lined up?" Then we did a tight 180 around a mountain, onto the runway which is at nearly 11,000 ft of elevation. I was actually glad we were flying back to Lima out of JUL instead, because even though that runway is over 12,500ft at least JUL isn't surrounded by mountains.

7. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

I don’t know, I moved to international flying in 2006. The only time I see a short runway is during a military charter.
    SNA, BUR, LGA and MDW were airports that you have to respect, especially when the weather is crap.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

So here is the rpm when I turned off the right mag. It started at 1700 and supposed to drop about 100 rpm. I could feel something was up as soon as we started but it had just flown so went to do the run up and it would die if I would have let it stay on right mag off .

[​IMG]

Triple X likes this.
  9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Any weather going into MDW and you're about to eat the seat in front of you extra hard the second the wheels are down.

10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

BUR, MDW, and LGA were all on my regular work trip list for 20 years.
    You get used to the fast drop and hard braking.

Photo likes this.
  11. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Gear up - feet up.

:D

Flying western Scandinavia is always fun what with most airports situated in a fjord or on the coast with constant North Atlantic winds. Sometimes both. Usually, you’re in a Twin Otter or a Dash-8, so you get tossed around pretty hard. That, and I feel like they’re pretty liberal on minimums there, and up until somewhat recently, cockpit procedures weren’t really good to the point they were blamed in a few class A mishaps, including one that killed my aunt.

12. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Speaking of Caravans. I just a bid on this beauty...

Attached Files:

13. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I always wondered how giraffes were hunted.

CE4CAA26-E787-4277-8E13-20BACE32D51D.jpeg

Rebel635 and Wingnut like this.
  14. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

That will definitely effect resale value.

Wingnut likes this.
  15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I’ve had the pleasure of flying from Dutch Harbor AK to Akutan on a 1940s Grumman Goose. Up until a couple of years ago it was that or a boat and I’m no bearing sea fisherman. Doing the slalom between the mountains and diving down to land on the bay was the scariest flight I’ve taken. When the plane (flying canoe is more accurate) gets down to taxi speed and settles in the water it comes up to the window next to your seat. There was definitely a point when I though “I don’t really get paid enough for this”

Rebel635 and Wingnut like this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The takeoffs don't seem nearly as crazy these days as they used to be, so I'm thinking there's not as much reason to warn pax about the procedure. I remember 20ish years ago it seemed much more dramatic?

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

This dude does a great job reconstructing crashes and mishaps.
    CA984D41-29AE-4D4C-9120-E5E4D6632EDD.jpeg

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I had my first ride back down a few months ago in Florida! (no visibility at attitude, but that didn't stop one dude from bailing anyway. I had the option, but just getting back into the sport, so naw)

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I remember watching VASAviation talking about statistics of flight safety, and how unsafe General Aviation is, and then going and looking up comparable numbers - turned out that GA is slightly more dangerous than street riding.

Not something I'd really call "dangerous".. but definitely not something I'd call safe either.