1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delta flight 339, 3/28/22

Discussion in 'General' started by Linker48X, Mar 29, 2022.

1. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Same, well sort of. We were driving across the GW bridge and it went right over us while crossing back into the city. Not being from there we just thought, huh that plane looks low... We saw the news 30 minutes later. Turns out that was rather low.

Quicktoy, Yzasserina and HPPT like this.
  2. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Agreed. Depends on the definition of "better". The B52 is the Swiss army knife of bombers. It does a lotta missions. We definitely don't have anything better than that for that use.

3. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

The problem with the “relic” is there is nothing offered by any manufacturer that can perform like the 757 for its market.

Gino230 likes this.
  4. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

First time I flew a 757, they stood that thing on it's tail like it was on full afterburner (think it was out of MDW). Couldn't believe a passenger plane could be that quick.

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

@Yzasserina Hell yeah we want to hear it.....spill da beans!

6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

If I knew I'd survive, hell yeah, I'm with you.

7. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I want nothing to do with flights where something goes wrong if I’m not sitting in an ejection seat.

ajcjr and peakpowersports like this.
  8. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

It's kind of like saying I wouldn't mind having a Marquezesque highside as long as I walk away from it.

R Acree likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Most of the airplanes with ejection seats tends to glide like bricks when the power is off. And since I'm not sure I would have ever voluntarily bailed out of an airplane, I think I would have rather taken my chances with the kinds that don't have ejection seats. :D

prm likes this.
  10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

An airliner doesn’t glide well enough to land most places. Much prefer Martin Baker, though that is not a guarantee either.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wait, what? I think you are underestimating how far they can glide. Now it's entirely possible that depending on where you are, you might still be too far away from a suitable landing spot but the gliding isn't the problem.

418 likes this.
  12. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

It's always been my understanding that most pressurized craft get retired due to concerns over stress fatigue from so many cycles of pressurization. I have no idea if that translates into mucho maintenance for the BUFF, or if they have a better ratio of pressure cycles to hours flown.

Gino230 likes this.
  13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Huge pucker factor but it sounds like everyone is OK.

14. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I agree they can glide a long ways. They’ll likely glide right to the scene of the accident! They are not meant to land on places other than nice smooth runways! :D And, we are assuming that whatever goes wrong it can still glide and remain control. I’ll take my NACES!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's more about the number of cycles then the years or hours flown. Airliners take off and land all the time because they lose money while on the ground.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACA_Flight_110

17. prm

prm Well-Known Member

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Right, because ejecting close to the ground is so much more attractive. :Poke::D

19. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

With the 6000' runways at MDW, they HAVE to do that. Otherwise they end up on a house.
    I don't think they allow 57's to fly out of there any more. I've been on a few that have, but those takeoffs were always thrilling.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That sounds more like a noise abatement procedure than a safety issue.

Triple X likes this.