1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WorldSBK I Round 10 I Jerez, Spain | Sep. 24-26

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2021.

1. More than I care to count.

cav115 likes this.
  2. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Lots of theories behind GG but I think the most logical one is they told him he's not here to challenge for wins, just top independent rider.

3. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I think my favorite thing about Toprak is that he makes Rea push in a way that he hasn't since battling Davies on and off a few years ago. It makes for awesome racing. I'll be sad to see Toprak move on, although it looks like there's a few guys that might create great racing at the front now.

4. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

:( sorry for that...:(

Don't know how you managed but you are stronger then me mentally !

5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I think there's a direct correlation to age and what the person is willing to risk in racing. Fabrizio is 37 now, probably has children and quite a different perspective on life and racing than a 17 year old kid in World 300. Just like Rossi was 33 or so when Marquez showed up willing to plant it into the side of anyone for the chance at a win (And you can see the same in Toprak right now).

All that being said, yes he young kids are willing to risk it all because they don't fear or even quite understand the consequences. But it's surely our (old people's) job to protect them by putting them in a position to capture their dreams in an incredibly dangerous sport but in the safest manner possible.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Going to have to disagree on one aspect here - Marquez vs. Toprak. I think Toprak is much more strategic. Marc has always struck me as someone who will just throw it underneath you and move you out of the way with no real forethought as to whether he'll actually make the corner or whether the pass will even stick. Very win it or bin it. For shits and giggles I actually dug up some data awhile back (and posted here) regarding finishes for the win involving Marc where the difference was less than a second and Marc actually did not have a very impressive track record in that record. He won a lot due to outright speed but on the occasions where someone could match his pace, he was not that good heads up. His race against Pecco recently is a glowing example of that.

Toprak on the other hand will race you very hard but also strategically. He doesn't crash anywhere near as often and his moves tend to stick much better. Even when he makes divebomb moves from waaaaay back, he's so good on the brakes that he often (read: not always) still barely moves his opponent off line. I haven't looked at equivalent data regarding close finishes for him but I'd bet money his win % in that situation is far greater than Marc's. I also don't recall anyone bitching about Toprak's racecraft the way they have with Marc.

YamahaRick, cav115, BHP41 and 2 others like this.
  7. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I guess I will add some input. A few years ago, I was at turn six Laguna, Marc crashed on the inside going up the hill one minute before end of session, he motioned the corner workers to help him to move his bike to the outside as they were helping him one of them fell and almost got run over, then session was over. Marc is blinding fast and fun to watch, but he is immature and kinda stupid.

8. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Toprak needs to be in GP and unfortunately for Frankie, he’s keeping the seat warm for Toprak. Sucks for him because he’s a cool guy but I f I had to rate riders in the world right now, Fabio,Toprak,Pecco,Jorge M in that order.

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Didn't Toprak recently state he wanted to stay in WSBK?

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I think the add on to that was until he could win a championship or 2.

11. BHP41

Once he makes Kawi and Rea realize that those 3 points didn’t mean shit and they look like little bitches for it , he’ll get his GP contract that Rea never got and move on.

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

There is not a lot of historical precedent for WSBK being a path to MotoGP success. It's really the other way around. Washed up GP racers retire to superbikes and do quite well. I would wait until Toprak grids up with the big boys for a season before rating him.

dieterly and The Great One like this.
  13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

i`M FROM THE G, AND I`M HERE TO PROTECT YOU.

14. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Interesting take considering Yamaha just signed Frankie to a 2.5 year factory deal. I have no doubt that Toprak is a great rider but GP is a different playing field. How many riders have gone to MotoGP from WSBK and achieved notable success? Crutchlow, Petrucci and.......?

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Damn, you should get a prescription to treat that case of butthurt you’re suffering from

BHP41 and 418 like this.
  16. BHP41

:moon:

17. BHP41

Toprak is showing each weekend that he is one of the best. He’s stomping Rea.
    Frankie is on Yamaha contract, not a Monster Yamaha contract. When the time comes, he will be moved aside for the faster rider.

18. BHP41

Got it; it’s each WSBK race.

19. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I know reading is hard but......Morbidelli joins Yamaha Factory Racing for 2021-2023. "Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. have confirmed that Franco Morbidelli is a Yamaha Factory Racing MotoGP Team rider for the remainder of the 2021 season, as well as the 2022 and 2023 campaigns."

:Poke:

20. BHP41

It’s just a piece of paper that’s made to be broken. Seeing as Yamaha have no young talent coming through with the signing of Dovi, they’ll do what’s necessary to get Toprak on a factory bike once he has his SBK title. If they need Frankie to go back to the junior team , he’ll still be on a factory bike.