1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WorldSBK I Round 10 I Jerez, Spain | Sep. 24-26

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2021.

1. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Yes when Scott Kalitta died at englishtown in his fuel funny car

2. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Unfortunately I have to many times.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends on local laws.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We almost always want to go racing, the officials, the riders and the rest of the folks involved. Depending on the incident we will move workers to other corners or take them off track entirely, that's usually left up to them. Getting going again as soon as possible has been the best way for everyone to deal with it, too much down time lets the feelings and stress fester. I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it but it's worked for us for a long time.

However, every track and every locality is different in how it needs to be handled and investigate by authorities. Some we need to stay shut down for hours or the rest fo the day, others no real down time at all other than clean up.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They had him on the phone today during 300 practice. They asked him what the difference was between his US bike and the WSBK bike. He had a one-word answer: grip.

He said the WSBK bike works better simply because it was developed around Pirelli tires. They haven't quite figured out how to get it right on Dunlop in the US. Lack of edge grip, and he has a hard time turning it and picking it up quickly to accelerate out of the corner.

He also said that he is 90% sure to return to the US next year. And that this gig is not going beyond Portugal because he is sure that Davies is not going to end his career without getting back on the bike.

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Funny, I was thinking a couple of hours ago that they should do that.

8. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Yes.....I believe TL1000S, end of the day, highsided and landed badly...we were spectating....helicopter came....medics walked back to helicopter and shut it down. At that point, we knew.

IIRC Josh Hayes and Opie were there, riding/coaching. Ann Yates, Aarons sister....i remember her cause she crashed a lot. :(

9. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Yeah that was my first weekend ever on a track when I was 14. His name was Cary Lurie.

10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Race 1, more of the same. Baz top independent. Garrett, yawn…again.

11. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Cool to see Baz was able to take what he learned in the US and make an impact on the world stage :D

What happened to the review of the contact between Toprak and Rea - did I miss them saying anything about it? It's great watching someone fight Rea, but I hope Rea finds a way to punt him in race 2.

12. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Welp, after GG comes back stateside in 23' who do we send...

henry_carlson likes this.
  13. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Way too early for that. He has shown raw speed. He got too eager, and now they've got him on a short leash. He needs to find a happy medium.

418 likes this.
  14. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I wonder when, or if, we’ll ever get the story on Gerloff.

15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

He already found…check that, was told his medium. Its 8th-11th place. He’s performing that brilliantly. Yamaha seems happy with him now too.

16. 418

418 Expert #59

I mean Haslam and Lowes have languished at the back of the top 10 for years on end now and haven't been sent back to BSB.

But nobody is talking about that.

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well in Haslam’s case he is a multiple championship winner, so that apparently counts for something. Lowes, no idea.

18. I agree with this, especially in motor sports. Riders know the risks, so do their teams and families. No different than the reason why I wear a locator beacon while fishing on the boat alone at night, the chances of someone getting to me in time to save me are slim to none but at least they will find me quick and people can get back to fishing sooner. That is morbid to some but it’s truly why I bought it. If I die I want people to still get back out there as quick as possible, most racers would not want the paddock to stop racing because they passed away.
    Every local law is different on how they handle the death investigation so ultimately that is the first thing before you even think about continuing the day. Each situation is different and as said above it’s also the extended paddock you have to keep in mind as well as everyone deals with viewing trauma differently. I’m an engineer and my thought process is like one (except for times on here). I rationalize the physics of what happened and get on with it, I deal with the emotional part in my own time (that is where things like hunting alone, fishing alone help deal with stress for me). I’m not even having a funeral, I will have a celebration when it is convenient. The wording is obviously a bit more lawyer speaking in my will but it is in there. Last thing I want to do is inconvenience people with my death, I want people to mourn as it’s part of getting over it but I don’t want it done in a generic funeral home setting. Make it a celebration, go to a place you can bring dirt bikes, shoot guns, light off some Hoosker Do’s and maybe some Hoosker Don’t -s. For the cost of a funeral you can throw a pretty decent party. If my wife and kids decide they don’t want a party and want to go on vacation, buy some cool shit with the money, etc that is ok too. Bottom line is life goes on and the quicker you get on with it the better as long as the people deal with it emotionally and don’t let it destroy them.

redtailracing likes this.
  19. To me it seems he needs a Ken Hill type of person in his life, if he doesn’t already have one. Not quite as bad but he seems like Cougar in TopGun, he’s lost the edge and his team mate has taken over the slot for top gun.

20. Passport. They are also known commodities so that helps as well. Personally I don’t get how Haslam has the ride, but he has the contacts and his dad does a great job getting him rides. Thing about BSB paddock is there are a ton of fast guys but no major standouts, which is what also makes the series so good. Plus with the exception of a few most are not spring chickens so it all depends what the teams are looking for. My guess with these riders is Lowe’s is there as a support role for Rea (development, etc as I know he is strongly requested by Rea to be his teammate) and Haslam was probably the safe bet to continue to develop the Honda.