1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TT 2014

Discussion in 'General' started by GoldStarRon, Feb 15, 2014.

1. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

The top twenty start list is posted... wish they posted the full field..

Ron

2. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

4. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Most deff re Bruce and he is a Cancer beater, that may explain why he is so fast and focused= when is awake of course haha

Nothing ventured nothing gained

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I cannot call a favorite this year at all. This kid Dean Harrison though has been quietly knocking on the door of the top guys. He's about the right age and number of races to be a surprise if he is on a good bike. I've heard you guys say it takes years to nail this course.

6. caferace

caferace No.

Bruce is very good people.

-jim

7. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

3 max these days mate compared to when I started in 1991, the track and terain has changed so much. The only favourite really is John M apart from about 5 other serious serious door knockers. A lot of it is about NOT having any bad luck.

8. doublea

doublea Well-Known Member

I'm always rooting for the soft-spoken guys that talk with their twist grip- Bruce epitomizes that. So cool.

9. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Gary Johnson will win one this year...

10. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

He is due it

11. doublea

Rolling up in it here soon, boys!

The team I was set up to pit for (James Edmeades) had to pull out for lack of finances....back to square 1 for me- if you guys know of anyone needing a good set of wrenching hands, let me know. Or just general assistance- I just want to stay busy in the pit! :D

12. gpstar748

James isn't racing??

I wasn't aware of that news...how'd you get sorted with helping him?

Shoot me a PM and we may be able to use you for our team.

13. doublea

Got in contact with his team manager through the TT forums. I didn't mean to break news for him, as I don't think he's publicly announced it yet, we've just been in touch talking about possible Manx stuff....haha so between you, me, and the beebs.

14. gpstar748

that's a bummer if it's true. I know James personally...really good dude.

15. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

So I'm continuing to look at next year. I see that ferry bookings start the Monday of practice each year.

I have a link to Steam Packet to book and I see there are 3 ports from Ireland and 3 from the UK. I just have a few questions that someone here might be able to answer.

Is there only one ferry company to the island?
    Any opinions on which port is the best to leave from?
    Is it recommended to catch a train from London to one of the port cities?
    What are the preferred days/times to arrive on the Island?
    Is flying easier?

It looks like most of the flights are similar to Ferry routes.
    The only flight that would be more convenient is BA which flies from London city.
    Anything else I would have to find transportation to the port city from probably London, which is likely where I'll be flying into from the US

It has been suggestion to spend the whole two weeks there, but I'm thinking if I take 2 weeks off, I'd like to spend time before or after visiting other parts. Anyone go for the whole two weeks. Is there anything better about also being there for practice week?

Anyone have thoughts about renting a MC for the weekend to get around the island? Is that a pain with the international license or the crowds?

Thanks in advance

16. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Steampacket is it for the ferry.

Where are you coming from? That will dictate which flights are available. In my case, from Dulles, I flew into Paris then to Manchester, then to IOM. On the way back I went into Birmingham then to Paris. This made more since than even flying into Ireland. At least when I was looking for flights there weren't many if any from London to IOM. I went over for the Manx, I don't know if they add flights for the TT. The turboprops to the island fly out of the smaller airports.

Availability would be the biggest issue with renting a street bike.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  17. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

RWDFUN, I have only been once and will answer as best I can. We started planning in August and could not find any rooms for race week so we were there for practice week and one race day. The owners of the B&B, the Heathers in Ramsey actually slept on their couch and we stayed in their room the last night just so I could see a race. Incredible people. If you are taking a wife, or gf Ramsey was great, alot less crazy. The public transit was the way to go, get a weeks pass and sit back. Riding around during the TT would be iffy, lots of traffic and the police are out too. We flew in from Dublin, once again by August the ferry had sold out. Touring Ireland was pretty good also. If you have time stay the two weeks, tour the entire island and talk to the locals, especially the little old ladies at the bus stop, funny as hell. I would stay the rest of my life there if I could.

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I understand this is last second, but I'm throwing it out just in case...

I have one round trip ticket in the premium cabin on the Steam Packet departing Belfast on May27th, returning to Dublin on June 3rd.

My girlfriend was planning to make the trip with me, but had to bail due to an issue at her firm.

The ticket is free if someone can use it.

19. gpstar748

Steam Racket....err I mean Steam Packet provides full refunds 99% of the time. Not to take away from a free ticket for anyone but you should have no problem getting your money back.

20. caferace

caferace No.

I had a hell of a time trying to get a refund when I decided to fly in rather than take the ferry.

They eventually wore me down, and I gave up. :mad:

-jim