1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TT 2014

Discussion in 'General' started by GoldStarRon, Feb 15, 2014.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

They need to require dry break fuel systems. The fueling system they utilize is a disaster waiting to happen.

[​IMG]

2. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

That's one hell of a hot foot they gave that racer :D

Still pumped for June 2015

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I saw the fire and thought of the FIM Endurance nobody on or touching the bike when fueled. Think AMA at Daytona went that way. Always been nail biting seeing the antiquated TT fueling. I love the fact they aren't quick fill but it could be made safer.
    Scariest thing is none of the crew had an extinguisher and the bike burned until someone came from the grandstand side. Both AMA Daytona and FIM Endurance require a crew member with a fire extinguisher. Also, other bikes were still passing through and fueling while that bike burned.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was surprised at the fireman being so far away too. Not surprised at the new rules. They need to get the rider off the bike tho.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Indeed. Lol hell just a few years ago the TT didn't even have a pit lane speed limit though! You just put your foot down on a line then zoomed in.

In other news the UK implemented some new law regarding road closures. Scuttlebutt is it was directly related to the TT plans to expand. :clap:

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The cooperation between the community, the government and the race organization at the Isle of Man amazed me this year. It was unbelievable how they are able to make the races happen and then have the roads opened back up to allow people to commute.

7. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

There are fire extingishers every "so" many feet. If you look at the video it was under 9 seconds until the rider got doused. The rider ran towards the inside wall, while pit crew guy ran the other way.. The rider got his balls warmed up big time.. but I understand he was OK. I never heard about the pit crew guy, but suspect he got some nasty burns. I am pleased that the officials have made improvements this fast, however still not early enough to allow any bike modifications before shipping. Our bikes have already arrived in England.

Still having the baclava on the fuel filler person is a great idea, they cost like $55. And can be shared for the different races. (I am buying one set of gear). The bike stand idea is good, but that alone takes some thinking among the crew, and a bit of practice. I may of mis-spoke in my earlier post, as I am asking if a front stand is suitable.

As for quick fill, etc.. although a good idea, per se, the bikes would have to have some serious gas tank modifications to fit one. The correctness "Vintage" police would likely scream.. (let them).

Oh and I also checked my jump suit, it has the proper fire retardant tag on it.. whew..! The gloves may be the most expensive part.. I am waiting on some clarifications on gloves and the standards.

All that said, if you look at the video, it sure could of been a lot worse..!!

And yes the racing went on, as it should of... no need to red flag the race. And the officials made time adjustments to the other racers affected by the fire. Overall they were mostly prepared for an "incident". The new rules should make it a lot safer should this happen again. I have no idea when the last pit lane fueling fire happened there... or if there was ever one.. but I suspect it has happened. Notice I said fueling fire... no counting the leccy bike that burned down, that was an electrical fire..

Ron 24 days to go..!!

8. GoldStarRon

9. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That dude's last name makes for confusing reading lol. I read the title line three times. But I'm slow.

11. GoldStarRon

That is being talked about.. getting the riders off the bike.. I think this is the big first step.. Some guys are already pissing and moaning about it all.. but in reality this is pretty easy stuff and not expensive. And I agree that using the Manx as the guinea pig is a better idea then dropping on the TT folks.. However the lack of notice is not good. Not enough time to make changes on the bikes, if needed. Some bikes are difficult to get on a stand. Going to be fun.. I just know it..!!

Ron

12. GoldStarRon

Steel Toe, I agree.. . his name sounds like it has to do with bowling... Ooops. But glad to see him getting some pre-event press..! Go Team USA..!

Ron

13. doublea

doublea Well-Known Member

I bowl a 300....everywhere.