1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump is a Winning Machine

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by blkduc, Dec 14, 2016.

1. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Not having a business degree myself, it would seem it should be approached in the same way that a private company does it. The needs of the company are analyzed, redundant functions removed, cost saving measures implemented, department heads being held accountable. Don't get me wrong, I don't live in some fantasy world where I think the govt will be run as well as a private company but you have to start somewhere and I don't think that means "shut the whole fucking thing down". To me that seems to be cutting off your nose to spite your face. We the people elect our leaders and our leaders are the ones that continue to add pork to spending bills, continue to only look out for their self interest and are beholden to lobbying groups. We should be doing better and we should be expecting better from our leaders, not just the Pres... all of them but it starts with him/her.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You have no idea how the government operates, do you?
    Businesses lay off when needed because they have to make a profit or go out of business.
    The government doesn't make or need to make a profit and can't go out of business, thus none of the drivers that keep a company
    operating are there. Government agencies never downsize or cease to exist.
    Try to imagine what your company would be like if there was no need to make a profit or to even be good at what you do.
    Now unionize the employees.
    What do you think it would look like?

Fencer likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No...it doesn't. If you made the choice to take that government job because it came with the backend pension that's on you and I don't feel bad about it at all. Just like when the leaders of that Union decided it was time to strike and you have no choice because you put you future in the hands of a few who are looking out more for themselves than they are you.

I like a little more control over my choices than that.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Government has NEVER (well maybe not never, but in the last 150 years) been run as a business. By its very nature it cannot. Business exists to make a profit. Government supposedly exists for the good of the governed. In the US, that probably lasted about as long as it took the members of the congress to get back home to the schemes and dreams of those that put them in office. It is all about power and control of the money is power.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Except for the fact that your company doesn't have the ability to force everyone in the country to provide it a guaranteed source of revenue. I will say it again for everyone that this problem started in 1943 and will continue until you are ready to over throw the government again. When your great grandparents gave them the ability to remove their "taxes" from your paycheck before you got it the game was over.

turtlecreek likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He lied. :crackup:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, who threw the temper tantrum?

Curious what your stance will be if he actually goes back on his tactic and doesn't do the shut down...

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, since I feel a good 1/3 (if not more) of those workers shouldn't be there in the first place....

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Last shutdown I spent time in National Parks. Just didn't have to pay to do so. But yeah, if they're shut down I'm good with that. Holidays vacations ruined and travel plans have to be changed? What a silly thing to whine about :crackup:

Saying the government employees are a huge waste of money doesn't change the politicians are as well.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of them. The politicians for setting up the waste agencies in the first place and giving them more money for accomplishing nothing. The employees who spend all of their time justifying next years budget by wasting this years budget. The management who encourages the employees to do so and asks for more money every year to do yet again nothing worthwhile for the taxpayers.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Incorrect. The Office of Thrift Supervision no longer exists. It was folded into the OCC, FDIC, the Federal Reserve Board and the CFBP. I am sure there are more examples out there.

There need to be a lot more examples. Just by looking at how many places the OTS was folded into will tell you there are still too many agencies regulating banking. That doesn't even count all of the state regulators that are basically in competition with each other and the federal agencies to try to get banks under their regulation.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

Did you seriously just use an example of one government entity being absorbed into others as proof of downsizing?

13. 2blueYam

Well there was some downsizing that happened as part of that, and it did cease to exist. The latter being the main thing I was refuting. I am sure it didn't come close to removing anywhere near the number of jobs as CFPB created when that new agency came in being.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ceasing to exists <> downsizing. Changing names and hiring more people under the new name absolutely isn't downsizing. Look at DHS for great examples of that one.

15. 2blueYam

The agency OTS ceases to exist. Not everyone kept their job. I don't know the exact totals on the employment side, but there is one less alphabet soup agency and the bureaucracy shrunk a bit. It isn't anywhere near enough, but we should celebrate any success in shrinking the government no matter how small.

16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

But we are paying for it. The social costs are staggering and even more so to our own poor. The cost of schools teaching non-English students or even students that are not our own. Welfare, crime and remittances all impact us. Reduce illegal immigration and a lot of $$ are free to either remain with those who earned them or to aid AMERICANS. Entry level jobs become more available as a gateway to success for AMERCIANS. Reduce legal immigration also and wage depression slows or reverses. :flag:

17. sheepofblue

Government employee no not to my knowledge. Contractors, yes.

18. sheepofblue

Spot on in the ideal world. Otherwise I would say that frequently "Government supposedly exists for the good of the governed." ia "Government supposedly exists for the good of the governing."

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's actually a great example of agencies never die.

The Federal Home Loan Bank Board was a board created in 1932 that oversaw the Federal Home Loan Banks also created by the act. It was superseded by the Federal Housing Finance Board and the Office of Thrift Supervision in 1989. Wikipedia

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member