1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowblower. I need one. What's up?

Discussion in 'General' started by triplestrong, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Craigslist is your friend on that. Saw a few of their 1332's last week for under $1700 (MSRP $3199)

2. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Thought about it.

3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

I've plowed with 4wheelers for years at the dealership. The only issue I have with buying a quad is that plowing will be it's only job. Spending the bucks on a proper machine doesn't make sense for me. I don't mind taking a couple hours with the snow blower. Or I just hire a plow guy...

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

There is a right and a wrong way to do it just like everything else. Aim that bitch down wind and let'er eat!

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I prefer to snowblow because it does a much better/cleaner job, but when we get a west or NW wind more than 10mph, I fire up the skidsteer and clear it with that.

6. 3twins

3twins Well-Known Member

There have been times when I wish I had one those snow cab thingies. Getting blasted in the face with snow is not good times.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

My quad has only failed me once in the five years I've been using it for plowing snow. I coulda made it a win but I was lazy and didn't feel like plowin' halfway through the storm. Not like I woulda had to do any work, like walking, I just didn't feel like getting dressed for the 20-30 minutes I woulda spent for the fun and done.

How bad was it? I got it stuck. Then I got the Jeep stuck trying to unstuck the quad. Then I got the quad stuck unstuckin' the Jeep, ad nauseum. :D

K51000 and badmoon692008 like this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Bumping this thread - already had a big driveway and sidewalk to shovel and added to the driveway this year so definitely want a snowblower for the once or twice a season (I'm just outside Philadelphia) that I'd need to use it.

What's a snowblower that isn't going to piss me off and will work whenever I need it? Don't want to spend more than I need to but don't want to get some piece of shit that doesn't get the job done, either.

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

LOVE my Ariens. I don’t even use more than 3-4 times a year in a normal winter. I’ve had it for 4 years now and ZERO issues. It just works. And this is coming from a guy in northeast WI.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Simplicity is a good brand (think Ferris mowers), most are made by only a few companies, just re-branded. There isn't a shit ton to them really, the engine is the most important part.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Really? I've used mine 3 times in the last two days (also NE WI) Already have about 12" :D

12. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

90% of the time I just use my little old 2 stroke Toro single stage, I'll fire up the ancient Honda track drive for after the plow comes by and to make paths to the firewood.

The Honda is 33 years old and the Toro isn't much younger.

13. SuddenBraking

Which one do you have?

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Ariens is the best in snowblowers. Period.

You can search YT comparisons all you want and you’ll see Ariens hands the competition their asses. The auger gearbox on an Ariens is cast iron, which allows them to spin the auger faster, processing more snow. Their impeller chutes are larger diameter, the impeller is spun faster, and the impeller fits tighter, which all adds up to superior throwing ability.

Single-stage is fastest and does better with getting the surface clean. They’re auger-driven, which means they pull themselves as fast as you want to go with them, because the auger is actually contacting the surface to pull itself. They’re great for light snowfall that doesn’t need thrown onto your neighbor’s property. A two-stage is driven by the wheels, is much heavier and cumbersome, and is the only way to go if you’re one who only wants to clear snow if they need to leave or live in a high snowfall area. The drive wheels force the machine into the accumulation and the snow into the auger. It doesn’t matter how much snowfall you got, they’ll chew their way through. A single-stage will hit heavy accumulation and stop. There’s no forcing it into heavy snow.

I have an Ariens Compact 24” and it’s plenty of machine for most homeowners. I’ve cleared 3+ foot drifts and snowplow windrows with it. It’ll throw most types of snow at least 50’. I’ve even cleared my street with it.

My single-stage is a POS Troy-Bilt that was given to me. Once it finishes cracking apart, I’ll replace it with an Ariens single-stage.

SuddenBraking and code3ryder like this.
  15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Wuss. Get out there and shovel. :D

K51000 likes this.
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I’ll check in the am. It’s a dual stage, 24”, but I’ll have to check the exact model #.

17. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I’m right outside of philly too and felt the same way as you. I didn’t get a snow blower just for the fact I didn’t want another engine to upkeep and as you know some years we get hammered and others we don’t get enough snow or it’s that nasty wet slop crap that a snow blower is terrible for.

best thing I did was get a Meyers “home plow” cost me 1500 bucks and takes 5 minutes to hook up and disconnect to the front of my truck with very minimal install.

I work twelve hour shifts so just being able to plow my driveway, mother in laws and my parents while sitting in my heated truck with my heated steering wheel and seats with coffee was worth it’s weight in gold.

K51000 likes this.
  18. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Had a Toro 521 for 25+ years. Wife got me a Craftsman at Lowe’s over the weekend. I’m completely prepared to be disappointed.

19. SuddenBraking

I'm debating if I can get away with a single state - being where I'm at, if the weather is calling for snow, everyone's pretty much home all day so doing multiple passes with a single stage (if needed) wouldn't be that big of a deal. That being said, as I type that I'm thinking "fuck that shit" so I'll probably just go with the 24" Ariens two stage. Even with that, it's going to be an hour or two to clear everything after a big snowfall but they're rare enough that it'd be once or twice a season, tops.

Next question - the ones with the tank treads look way more badass. For the 24" I'm looking at, it's $1K for the wheeled version vs $1.5K for the tank version. What's the difference and is it worth it? I noticed the tank one says that it has one handed operation - that's appealing (in case you hadn't guessed it, I'm really trying to justify buying the tank one :D).

ducnut likes this.
  20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

We are going to start calling you Broome Jr. :D