1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowblower. I need one. What's up?

Discussion in 'General' started by triplestrong, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

For 500 bucks prob not worth it, for what you state your use is but go for it! Going bigger aint a bad thing. I use mine for a anything more than inch. Plowing is ok but you have to overpush stuff most of the time so you have room for the next snowfall and beyond. Not to mention grass damage etc.

Funkm05 and ducnut like this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve never used tracks.

One thing I’d be concerned about is moving a tracked blower around, not running. With a wheeled blower, you simply pull the drive pin on one wheel and it’s as easy to move as a push mower. When you reinstall the drive pin, you’re back to both wheels being locked together. I could see those tracks not being quite as easy. However, there would be no terrain or amount of snow the thing couldn’t conquer. If $500 isn’t a huge deal, then go for it. You’re the one who has to be happy with your purchase.

Many people don’t realize these pins can be pulled for ease of maneuvering. Just pull one and reinstall it in the end of the shaft.

507C7E74-1D6F-4033-8658-3F869CE3C0E2.jpeg

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I use a two stage snowblower similar to the first post in this thread. It works like a champ for me in central Indiana. I use a plow on our commercial properties but I don't like a snow plow at my house. It's too easy to mess up the grass or damage the concrete. It also doesn't work in tighter areas and doesn't leave the driveway fully cleared. In many cases my snowblower will leave a dry path behind it. It literally sucks the snow off of the concrete.

The biggest issue with a snowblower for someone who hasn't used one is thinking about where you will blow the snow. It really sucks to have to move it more than once. You have to consider the layout of your driveway(s) and the wind. You CANNOT throw snow into the wind.

code3ryder, ducnut and Funkm05 like this.
  4. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

I put my old Honda track HS55 on a furniture cart and move it around.

ducnut likes this.
  5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Checked this morning. They’ve adjusted the line-up since I bought, but for all intents and purposes, it’s the Classic 24.

6. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

My Dad had one with tracks for one season and traded it back in for another one with wheels. They are a pain to maneuver when not running and also you can't push them. With wheels, you can push a blower around with little effort without use of the drive system, for example once you're done blowing. Also dragging it backwards when working a drift. I used his once and hated it. I have a dinosaur Toro 824 that is unstoppable and will throw snow into the next zip code. Central PA use, so similar snowfall as you.

ducnut likes this.
  7. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Tracked blowers are a pain to move but DAMN do they eat drifts and heavy snow without rising.

ducnut likes this.
  8. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I’m running a hand me down Ariens ST824 which spent 20+ years in the UP of Michigan. It’s still rock solid. Two stage or GTFO. You’ll be nothing but disappointed with a single stage

9. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I might add, try to buy from a local dealer. They're priced competitively and helpful with service needs. I was shopping for a new one two years ago and the local Toro Ariens Deer dealer was similarly priced to Home Depot, etc.
    I ended up having this dealer completely go over my old blower with new belts, oil change, spark plug, carb rebuild and all new fuel lines for $150. Old beast is as good as new.

Funkm05 and ducnut like this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

A set of chains on the wheeled ones helps alot.

11. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

So I’m in Alaska, where a 2 stage, four stroke snowblower is a necessity. I think the right choice is a 28 inch, 8-10 hp one, with wheels (maybe chains if you get a lot of ice or wet snow) if you are doing a big driveway plus. That’s a good balance between lots of power and capacity, and being a pain to move around. Tracks aren’t really necessary and anything bigger is just a pain. Truck or even four wheeler mounted snowplows are ok for parking lots but not good for a driveway, etc. — for the reasons stated above. Also, you don’t really need to buy new unless you like to spend $. The old one I had, a $100 used purchase from a buddy, was 10-15 years old when I got it. A bunch of junkies were driving around stealing the things and mine was taken about 10 years ago, so I bought a new Sears Craftsman 8 hp Tecumseh 28 inch two stage on an end of season sale for like $650 or less. No real difference in performance between old and new, the “new” one is itself now old with a bit of rust, but is basically free to operate and gives me a way to burn up old race gas and 2 stroke gas. You can spend a lot on getting tracks, a Honda engine etc but really the thing is just a utility workhorse that you use in the dark and then store in the shed for much of the year so no need to go high end. Just make sure it has 8-10 hp so you can throw snow on your neighbors lawn across the street, and two stage so it won’t clog.

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I was clearing a customer driveway when he comes out and stops me. He laughingly asks, “Do you realize you’re putting that snow on my neighbor’s roof?”. We both started laughing, as he said he’d never seen a snowblower throw as far as mine. Haha.

At about halfway down my drive, I can start landing snow across the street (~60’ or so).

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've never run one but have seen plenty being used and one thing I've noticed is the guy running it gets covered in snow. Maybe not an issue if you live in town or in sheltered area but out here in the open where I am that's a big nope for me. And yeah, I know they make those cab things for them. So the cab gets covered and then you can't see.

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Aim the chute with the wind. ;)

Sprinky and ducnut like this.
  15. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

It can happen but it's mostly people not using it correctly. You need to factor in the wind when you make your plan of how to clear everything off. I do it differently in different winds. I typically don't get any snow on myself. If it's someone with a single stage snowblower then they deserve it. Those things suck.

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Sounds like tracks are actually more of a pain in the ass than wheels, so that's disappointing. In that case, I'll probably go with the 30" wheeled Ariens then.

Sucks because those track ones look badass as hell.

17. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

good info guys. i appreciate it. new to CO and we've had enough snow to justify having one and the one stagers definitely seem like they're set up to disappoint.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As I mentioned before, a single-stage has some advantages. If you’re talking <4” of accumulation they’re faster and leave a cleaner surface behind, IF you’re not needing to throw for distance. They’re much lighter and easier to maneuver in tighter confines, as well. My POS single-stage is my go-to blower. It takes quite a lot for me to fire up the two-stage.

The Beer Hunter likes this.
  19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

damn you people....Ive been looking on and off for a good used one. Now I see some decent ariens at Lowes for like 800-1100. With no interest for 6 mo on lowes card...ugh.

Ya'll probably cost me like $1100....but only $200 a month, so ive got that going for me.

20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I've been just outside MIlwaukee for 10 yrs. We moved in to a home in late April.
    When we were writing the deal, the guy says he'll throw in the snowblower too!
    I didn't know squat about it, and said sure!.......
    Winter rolls around, I get this thing running and figure it out. It has a 8 hp Tecumsah, with pull and electric start- tyhat you hook an extention cord to.
    Yeah, I/we shovel most stuff, but the thick snowfalls- I'm snowblowing baby! Currently have 3 snow shovels- 2 sons and me so all 2 can shovel if/when needed.

It's probably an off brand. But has 6 forward speeds, 4 reverse, and has seperate auger and drive levers- I think most do.
    Spirit brand? Sounds like a bra! I'm sure it's a rebranded something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JUst noticed it's called a snow thrower, not blower.

I quickly realized it's the baddest ass snow blower on my cul de sac! I'm always helping move others snow as well!
    I usually use the electric start to run it again early season, and then at least once on the first big snow fall. Then I pull start it on later snow falls.

It's worked well for 10 years. Changed the oil once, about 3 years ago.

YamahaRick and Razr like this.